Information On A Parker 21

mphstteach

Hey all,

I am relatively new to the FP world and found this Parker 21 for cheap on the bay. I can't seem to find much concrete information; it says some 21s were actually liquid pencils? I am now worried this may not be a fountain pen like the seller claimed? Any help would be appreciated. http://www.ebay.com/itm/141351813836?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Kind Regards,

Matt

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mphstteach

• OcalaFlGuy

• AndrewC

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a fountain pen.

Parker did make some 21 Liquid Lead pencils, but this is not one of them. Pencils did not have caps that you placed over the end. Pencil caps stayed on top and covered the eraser and tube where you feed in and stored the lead.

Also, Liquid Lead pencils were marked with a diamond and "LL" on the barrels.

Enjoy your new 21!

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Matt, I would have liked to see Better pics, and one of the filler but zooming in on what is there, FWIW, I don't see anything that causes me any concern.

Like FB says, enjoy that P-21.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Thank you for the information; I will post better pictures when I receive the pen. I thought it was worth the gamble for 10 bucks

Kind Regards,

Matt

For some good Parker info- http://parkerpens.net/

http://www.parker51.com/ , http://www.richardspens.com/ (lots of info on all sorts of pens, just use the serach window),

http://www.penhero.com/ (If you go to Pen Gallery he has articles on many types of pens, Pen Bookmarks has listings for many sites, from sales to clubs to repairs to informational sites.)

IIRC, all the pens resembling a 51 (21, 41, 51, 61) had pencils that were not capped. The writing end was exposed, and erasers lived under a cap at the clip end.

Welcome to the board.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Wow!! Thank you for all the links. I will check it out soon. I appreciate you

Kind Regards,

Matt

I have a couple of Parker 21 pens. The latest is really nice, and I recommend the full day of soaking and flushing. It's definitely worth $10.

Here is my Parker 21. Really enjoy how it writes. Why did this model not have the iconic arrow clip? NOTE: photos to follow shortly

Edited by mphstteach

Kind Regards,

Matt

Here is my Parker 21. Really enjoy how it writes. Why did this model not have the iconic arrow clip? NOTE: photos to follow shortly

Probably because it was an economy model. The later 21 Supers, which were a bit more expensive, had arrow clips.

It seems like it's in good shape and writes well.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Florida, it is in very good shape to my eye and, as I stated above, to buy a vintage Parker for 10 bucks that works I think was quite the little deal. It will get much use.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Well, I think that would qualify as a "Sumgai"! Looks like the cap is in great shape, no scratches. Great deal. If you go to Richard's Pens and plug Parker 21 into the search, and select that (Parker 21), Richard talks about the clip, the variations, and you might even be able to get the date of manufacture.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

You must be living clean. ;)

You are two for two as I see it with early 21's that Don't have shrunken hoods.

If you are going to keep dancing the 21 shuffle, now you need to go for a Super 21. It'll have the stamped Arrow Parker 45 style clip and the front

of the hood will be more closed up like a 51. It will also have a 51 Special nib in it. There are 2 renditions of those, one with the clutch ring like

yours now and one with the more recessed one like on a 51.

That recessed clutch ring Super 21 is as close as you can get to a 51 without being a 51.

If you can get one of those for less than $15 in clean shape you are doing pretty well in my book.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Well, I think that would qualify as a "Sumgai"!

Err...

No.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-Not a bad deal but a Sumgai it ain't

You must be living clean. ;)

You are two for two as I see it with early 21's that Don't have shrunken hoods.

If you are going to keep dancing the 21 shuffle, now you need to go for a Super 21. It'll have the stamped Arrow Parker 45 style clip and the front

of the hood will be more closed up like a 51. It will also have a 51 Special nib in it. There are 2 renditions of those, one with the clutch ring like

yours now and one with the more recessed one like on a 51.

That recessed clutch ring Super 21 is as close as you can get to a 51 without being a 51.

If you can get one of those for less than $15 in clean shape you are doing pretty well in my book.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

You mean like this one I just got for $9.99? There was a seller last week that had a few of them up on FleaBay. It has the cap, but not the recessed clutch ring.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/gweimer/0729141734-00_zps68fdd36f.jpg

Edited by gweimer1

I would like to see a closer pic of the nib, hood opening and clutch ring. I think that's a Super but I'm not quite sure on the pen itself.

Also looks like Maybe the start of some hood shrinkage, the pic would help tell for sure.

But it looks like it's writing nicely and if it's not got any cracks starting in the hood, good on ya! :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl