Should I Buy These?

JordanLH

I met a nice gentleman today that had 4 old pens he was interested in selling.

They are:

Waterman 52 1/2 clip cap

Small gold one that says John C. Holland on the nib

Esterbrook I think it says 2556 on the nib

A sheaffer of some sort missing the cap.

Not of them write, the nibs on some look quite "crusty", and there's obvious wear.

I've attached pictures. Would any of these be worth buying? If so, what would be a good price?

I'm extremely new to fp repair, but I would like to learn how and get better at it. Would these be good purchases for that? If not, would any of these be worth buying strictly because of rarity?

Thanks so much for your time!

post-113880-0-10296200-1406762089_thumb.jpg

post-113880-0-75191300-1406762091_thumb.jpg

post-113880-0-99379800-1406762094_thumb.jpg

post-113880-0-68741800-1406762098_thumb.jpg

post-113880-0-29338400-1406762102_thumb.jpg

post-113880-0-33491100-1406762105_thumb.jpg

post-113880-0-44633200-1406762108_thumb.jpg

post-113880-0-63646800-1406762111_thumb.jpg

post-113880-0-31627900-1406762115_thumb.jpg

WTB: Edison Menlo

WTB: Any of Ernest Shin's work

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JordanLH

• Charles Rice

• jar

• balson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did, and he want me to tell him =\

The start at $50.00 and see what he says. They are all pretty rough and you will need to rebuild them all. The cap for the Sheaffer may be difficult to obtain.

My Website

with the waterman nib lick your finger and rub your wet finger on the nib to see if any of that ink comes off. if not then there is a chance that someone tried to use india ink with the pen and it has completely dried in the feed. are there any cracks in the lever box for the waterman 52? the chip in the cap significantly knocks back the value for collectors but if its stable it can remain a great pen for users for some time. the john holland may just need the tines delicately untangled but the tipping can come off when this is done. it can also be a sign that the nib and feed are not set far enough back in the pen. the john holland also looks to have some small dents, its typical but it decreases the value again for collectors. the esterbrook looks like its in good shape, i would offer about $10 for that one. the sheaffer is a real mixed bag, it's got a good nib and its only a little discolored, but it has no cap.

i think an offer of $50-$75 is fair for the lot. they are good pens with some problems. one of the things with old pens is you never know what you are going to find when you open it up. i have had pens that looked very nice on the outside and were eaten up by acidic ink on the inside

with the waterman nib lick your finger and rub your wet finger on the nib to see if any of that ink comes off. if not then there is a chance that someone tried to use india ink with the pen and it has completely dried in the feed. are there any cracks in the lever box for the waterman 52? the chip in the cap significantly knocks back the value for collectors but if its stable it can remain a great pen for users for some time. the john holland may just need the tines delicately untangled but the tipping can come off when this is done. it can also be a sign that the nib and feed are not set far enough back in the pen. the john holland also looks to have some small dents, its typical but it decreases the value again for collectors. the esterbrook looks like its in good shape, i would offer about $10 for that one. the sheaffer is a real mixed bag, it's got a good nib and its only a little discolored, but it has no cap.

i think an offer of $50-$75 is fair for the lot. they are good pens with some problems. one of the things with old pens is you never know what you are going to find when you open it up. i have had pens that looked very nice on the outside and were eaten up by acidic ink on the inside

Thanks for this informative post. I'll take your advice on this. If I was a pen wizard, I would maybe take the plunge, but I think I'm gonna pass. Or I might buy it if I can get it for $50-ish (doubt it) and see if anyone here wants it for about that price.

Or I might buy it if I can get it for $50-ish (doubt it)

The worst that can happen is that he will say no.

Jordan, you don't mention what your pen experience is. I am going to just guess that you are a newer pen person.

First, I am concerned with your seller. For him to somehow just bump into these pens, I am again going to guess that he knows more about pens

than you do and that he's figured out that you are a newer pen person.

It's my gut call that he's trying to give you enough rope to hang yourself by allowing you to make the first offer.

Jordan, to me, it just smells. :angry: Badly.

Please don't mis-take anything I've said, I only mean the best for you.

Life is too short and there are too many nice pens out there, much nicer than these, for fair, reasonable prices.

Fountain pendom is too nice of a place to have to Start your visit here, trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Pull up a chair in the words of our member Jar, learn about the pens that interest you until you can make better educated Decisions about the pens that interest you rather than just wild guesses. You will be Much happier that way I promise you.

And welcome to Crackerbox Palace. :thumbup: We've been expecting you. :P

Ok. Thinking about it, maybe there's One exception here. If you can, take a cup with some water in it to the pens. Grab the Black Esterbrook. First look at the black buttons on the ends and be sure they are both there and undamaged and that the pocket clip doesn't go around and around. Stick the pen in the water midway up the finger section and carefully extend the lever. Don't force it. With the pen still in the water, close the lever. If the lever won't lift easily, walk away. If the lever lifts and closes, lift the pen out of the water and lift the lever again. If water comes out of the pen, offer him $10 for it. $15 at the absolute most. If those black buttons aren't both there or are chipped or cracked look him dead in the eye and tell him that's a problem. The price then drops to around $7 or less. This is the cheapest pen there that you are most likely to have writing for you the easiest. There's a whole forum of Estie peeps here willing to help you.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Jordan, you don't mention what your pen experience is. I am going to just guess that you are a newer pen person.

First, I am concerned with your seller. For him to somehow just bump into these pens, I am again going to guess that he knows more about pens

than you do and that he's figured out that you are a newer pen person.

It's my gut call that he's trying to give you enough rope to hang yourself by allowing you to make the first offer.

Jordan, to me, it just smells. :angry: Badly.

Please don't mis-take anything I've said, I only mean the best for you.

Life is too short and there are too many nice pens out there, much nicer than these, for fair, reasonable prices.

Fountain pendom is too nice of a place to have to Start your visit here, trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Pull up a chair in the words of our member Jar, learn about the pens that interest you until you can make better educated Decisions about the pens that interest you rather than just wild guesses. You will be Much happier that way I promise you.

And welcome to Crackerbox Palace. :thumbup: We've been expecting you. :P

Ok. Thinking about it, maybe there's One exception here. If you can, take a cup with some water in it to the pens. Grab the Black Esterbrook. First look at the black buttons on the ends and be sure they are both there and undamaged and that the pocket clip doesn't go around and around. Stick the pen in the water midway up the finger section and carefully extend the lever. Don't force it. With the pen still in the water, close the lever. If the lever won't lift easily, walk away. If the lever lifts and closes, lift the pen out of the water and lift the lever again. If water comes out of the pen, offer him $10 for it. $15 at the absolute most. If those black buttons aren't both there or are chipped or cracked look him dead in the eye and tell him that's a problem. The price then drops to around $7 or less. This is the cheapest pen there that you are most likely to have writing for you the easiest. There's a whole forum of Estie peeps here willing to help you.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I greatly appreciate your candor. It's extremely welcome and helpful. As for this lot, I've decided it's probably not worth the time to meet with him again. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement while there, but after reading these replies, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to pass on this one.

I can't thank all of you enough.