Help Me Pick My Upgrade

skybuzz

Hi,

As you haven't tried a large heavy pen yet, I suggest trying a fairly modest high performance model at this time. Perhaps even a Pilot Metropolitan or a Sheaffer USA Prelude could give you some idea of a fairly normal size hefty pen.

Also, you might consider a Waterman Carene, which is one of my favourite long haul writers. It is a c/c filler, with a firm comfy nib.

Ah, the Waterman Opera. I have one, but find it a bit long for extended writing sessions. Apparently they've become something of a collectors item, so there's a premium paid for that.

I do have a Pelikan M640 Sahara *swoon* which is of the same series as the Everest & Niagara Falls models. I like the girth and mass, and the shape of the metal barrel makes the pen very well balanced in my hand, though I tend to grasp the pen a bit higher on the section than most. I do not post the cap. As with most Mnnn series Pelikans, there is the significant advantage of readily available nibs in a wide range of widths; and that some stateside Vendors will tune and custom grind the nibs. Also, the M6nn pens will accept the lower cost M2nn nibs, which can be had in steel and 14K gold, so you can have a wonderful [secondary] nib in a size/shape that you may not use too often, and remain within your cost constraint. Please note that it seems the Pelikan nibs tend to run a bit wide for their designation, especially in the narrow widths.

Bye,

S1

__ __

Edit to add : The Pelikan shown in your New Member post is a P99 Technixx. I have one that comes along when I'm in the field as a back-up to my rotring 600. While slightly too slender to be my first pick as a daily writer, I am very happy to have it. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/157990-pelikan-p99-technixx/page__p__1574240__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=1574240

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skybuzz

• de_pen_dent

• tonybelding

• Scribblesoften

Top Posters In This Topic

That price on the Everest is what I was originally leaning toward it ... However it didn't seem to get much traction. There is a Visconti at fph for sub 400 as well.

Speak to Bryant regardless. You'd be very pleasantly surprised by what he can do for the price.

I think $2xx for the Everest makes it a no-brainer, compared to a regular M6xx going for the same price range. I have it, along with pens from each of the Pelikan series (1000, 800, 600, 400 and 200) and I stand by my recommendation. It is a really nice pen.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I also recommend getting a converter for the pen you already own. You can also refill cartridges if you get an ink syringe.

Piston fillers are nice but in my opinion they don't justify spendjng more money on a pen over other filling systems. The main advantage of a piston filler over a converter is higher ink volume. The main advantage of a coverter is that if it breaks you can just buy a new converter and you can take them off to clean them. There is the possible concern that a converter, like a cartridge, can come lose in the pen but I have never had that happen. What a piston does give you is the feeling that you pen is more special than a garden variety cartridge/converter system. The trick is deciding if it's worth paying the extra money that feeling. Personally I am happy at the lower end of the price spectrum and am not at all bothered by cartridge/converter pens.

I wholeheartedly agree with Sandy that you should try mid-priced heavier/large pens before shelling out $400 for one. When I started out I thought I preferred fine nibs and piston-fillers. As it turns out that I don't. Just to try out the weight and size you can get a Jinhao 159 from isellpens.com for $8. It's comparable in size to the MB 149.

At $2XX I had to buy the Pelican Mount Everest from Pen Chalet. I am also bidding on a few other used fountain pens on eBay. I'll let everyone know what I end up with. I still have the question about Salior 1911s, are they all the same? I'm still going to give Bryant a call.

Based on the overwhelming response, I'll eventually get a used Montblanc ... but they are a little too expensive right now - Even Used!

Any thoughts on where to send a used pen to get it working great?

Now it's on to ink questions - I'll be starting a new thread for that here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/271154-much-needed-ink-advice/

Edited by skybuzz

I'd echo others in suggesting the Lamy 2K (out of your choices). Beyond your choices, I'd suggest the Italix Parson's Essential, or heavier - the Churchman's Prescriptor or the Captain's Commission - all Italix. They are great pens.

http://www.mrpen.co.uk/

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I'd go for the Pelikan M800 but buy a used one and it will be in your price range.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

149!

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

Sheaffer PFM. Chunky, pretty and interesting. Engineers always like Snorkel fillers.

Seriously, as a fellow engineer, I would recommend the TWSBI 580 or Vac700 demonstrators. Look very techy and you can see all the mechanisms working. And pretty cheap too!

At $2XX I had to buy the Pelican Mount Everest from Pen Chalet. I am also bidding on a few other used fountain pens on eBay. I'll let everyone know what I end up with. I still have the question about Salior 1911s, are they all the same? I'm still going to give Bryant a call.

Good choice! You will love the pen - and if you get tired of the nib, Richard Binder has stock M6xx nibs in various sizes at a pretty reasonable price (and does custom grinds on them too). I am actually going to get a BB nib ground into a CI from him very soon.

Re 1911s - there are 2 sizes: regular/M and large. The mediums are fairly slender pens (a little too slender for my tastes) and typically have 14kt nibs - although a few models have 21kt nibs too. The 1911Ls have 21kt nibs and are comparable in size to the MB 146.

They have a pretty different writing experience from MBs, though - the MB nibs all tend to be quite wet and juicy. With the exception of the King of Pen nibs, the Sailor nibs have a little more paper feedback (not to be confused with tooth) and arent as wet. Both are very nice to write with. I prefer the Sailors for taking notes and "practical" writing, whereas I like the MBs for journal entries, essays, etc.

Thanks everyone! - Some really awesome help ... I'm trying to snatch a few up on ebay, but have been sniped at the last minute with prices more than I think they are worth.

SOOOOOO.... I just scored a Visconti Homo Sapien Bronze, with the box an some of the papers for less than $2XX!!!

Now I'll have a Pelikan Technixx, Pelikan M640 Mount Everest, and a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze!

A start of a great collection. :yikes:

I lost a bid on a 90s M200 and a Sailor 1911, I'll keep an eye out for good deals, but I'm set for a little while.

I have to plug Bryant real quick - He was awesome on the phone and offered some great deals, still want to pick up one of his deltas ...

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE ADVICE!

-now to learn some pen cleaning, care, and penmanship :D

I got an email from Pen Boutique yesterday - they are having a pretty good sale on M200s with italic nibs for $90. Just sayin' :)

Nice haul btw! Congrats.

What does an italic nib do for you over standard?

I'm a little tapped out - after some ink will have hit my $400 that I was willing to spend.

^^ More line variation. Thicker on the down stroke, thinner on the cross stroke. The marks also are better defined with cleaner edges.