Is Germany The Country For Fountain Pens And Utilities?

Morbus Curiositas

It seems to me that while Germany had more pen companies (all the nameless Warranty nib pens) the US had bigger companies and certainly the longer history. It is not easy to find German pens before WWI in Germany, but it is very easy to find US pens from before WWI in US and UK.

Your impression of the current market is IMHO very much dependent on where you are. Japanese pens are difficult to get in Germany and vice versa. If I look in the "brand focus" part of this forum brands like Cross, Conway Stewart and Esterbrook are very exotic to me. I do have just one Cross and none of the others. But I do have many old Waterman's. They were apparently also common in Germany.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• The Blue Knight

• Cepasaccus

• Icywolfe

And what about Switzerland ? Did you forget the great Caran dAche ??????

!-@

And Dimmler!

Yup, it was a Swiss pen maker and I have also never seen one.

And Dimmler!

Who?

Oh please do not forget the Akkerman inks!!!!

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.

It seems to me that while Germany had more pen companies (all the nameless Warranty nib pens) the US had bigger companies and certainly the longer history. It is not easy to find German pens before WWI in Germany, but it is very easy to find US pens from before WWI in US and UK.

Your impression of the current market is IMHO very much dependent on where you are. Japanese pens are difficult to get in Germany and vice versa. If I look in the "brand focus" part of this forum brands like Cross, Conway Stewart and Esterbrook are very exotic to me. I do have just one Cross and none of the others. But I do have many old Waterman's. They were apparently also common in Germany.

Do you have any more names of old and new German brands....

Same thing for Japanes brands

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

Akkerman dutch and some akkerman exclusive made pens by various brands conway-stewart in UK diamine of UK

Thanks Algester,

I will buy some Akkerman inks next time I am in Holland...

Will buy a Conway Stewart too one day..... This will have to wait a bit... See prices and me being a poor bugger :-)

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

And what about Switzerland ? Did you forget the great Caran dAche ??????

!-@

And Dimmler!

Oh please do not forget the Akkerman inks!!!!

Thank youvery much....

I have written them on my all time greatest list

Allow me to wave a bit of a dutch flag too: Talens & Gimborn, both in the history books only now but worth a look on the vintage market.

Bruynzeel!!!

And some members where so kind to pioint me to Akkerman inks... Very Dutch very Cool!!!

Bruynzeel!!!

Check these out very carefully. The current Bruynzeel pens are actually rebranded BIC's, some of which are not on the Dutch market in the BIC version. For the older Bruynzeel's I am not sure.

I think Germany has some stiff competition from Japan (and I'd give the nod to the latter), but there is no doubt that Germany has a rich fountain pen culture."

I agree 100%.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Akkerman inks will be baught in akkerman shop in den haag or the hague

Thanks for the advise... I know,I am Dutch.... :)

Just have towait for my next Holland visit :)

Another one jumps to mind, have a look at the German brand Senator. They are currently mostly known as manufacturer of advertising ballpoints but they have an impressive tradition with fountain pens. The Regent was once a serious Pelikan competitor, in the higher end was the Windsor. At the moment, they make the Diplomat brand which is widely available in Germany (as in any department store) but not so much in other countries. For budget pens from Germany, don't forget OnLine, a manufacturer with some 'adventurous' designs, mostly aimed at schoolkids and first time writers. They also have a few more serious models which are pretty boring designwise but seem to be quite reliable.

Czech pens like Centropen and Barclay and others...

Another one jumps to mind, have a look at the German brand Senator. They are currently mostly known as manufacturer of advertising ballpoints but they have an impressive tradition with fountain pens. The Regent was once a serious Pelikan competitor, in the higher end was the Windsor. At the moment, they make the Diplomat brand which is widely available in Germany (as in any department store) but not so much in other countries. For budget pens from Germany, don't forget OnLine, a manufacturer with some 'adventurous' designs, mostly aimed at schoolkids and first time writers. They also have a few more serious models which are pretty boring designwise but seem to be quite reliable.

Thanks Erpe

I know the diplomat I bought one a few months ogo

fpn_1406812766__20140731_150512_resized.

fpn_1406812606__20140731_150937_resized.

It is the Diplomat Excellence A Marrakesh with a Golplated two tone nib

Though not a Gold nib it writes very smooth :)

I Also know the Online Brand. I bought it at the Muller Drugstore.... I also bought my excellent"Office" Notebook a copy of Moleskine but wiht better quality as Ihave prooved in my topic Moleskine Vs cheap look-a.like in the paper and paraphernalia forum

fpn_1406812792__20140731_150529_resized.

The flowery one I bought seperately with an 0,8 italic nib price €11,99

The Black one came in the set on the photo with 1,1/1,4/1,8 Nib

The broader nibs are smooth but for the 0,8 I advice a wet ink. I have used these pens in the following reviews I published this week

De atramentis Merlot,De Atramentis Document Ink Brown and Green and in the Ink Comparison J Herbin terre De Feu - DA Merlot..

I have cZecked :) that centropen and barclay

Centropen does not make Fountain Pens any more WHAT A SHAME :wacko: Centropen sem to have produced the Barclay FP in the Past....

Thanks for yet some more constructive input,,,, itis always welcome :W2FPN:

Groeten

Peter

Thanks Erpe

I know the diplomat I bought one a few months ogo

fpn_1406812766__20140731_150512_resized.

fpn_1406812606__20140731_150937_resized.

It is the Diplomat Excellence A Marrakesh with a Golplated two tone nib

Though not a Gold nib it writes very smooth :)

I Also know the Online Brand. I bought it at the Muller Drugstore.... I also bought my excellent"Office" Notebook a copy of Moleskine but wiht better quality as Ihave prooved in my topic Moleskine Vs cheap look-a.like in the paper and paraphernalia forum

fpn_1406812792__20140731_150529_resized.

The flowery one I bought seperately with an 0,8 italic nib price €11,99

The Black one came in the set on the photo with 1,1/1,4/1,8 Nib

The broader nibs are smooth but for the 0,8 I advice a wet ink. I have used these pens in the following reviews I published this week

De atramentis Merlot,De Atramentis Document Ink Brown and Green and in the Ink Comparison J Herbin terre De Feu - DA Merlot..

I have cZecked :) that centropen and barclay

Centropen does not make Fountain Pens any more WHAT A SHAME :wacko: Centropen sem to have produced the Barclay FP in the Past....

Thanks for yet some more constructive input,,,, itis always welcome :W2FPN:

Groeten

Peter

I really like the designs of Diplomats too and I am hoping to get a balance for Christmas.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.