You Flexy Thang!

Cryptos

Hi all,

Today I received a very small package all the way from Japan... a box of 10 Zebra G nibs. I have never seen, let alone handled a dip pen of any description. So, why I am I telling you?

Okay, the whole idea of very flexy dip nibs can be a bit scary. Particularly when one hears of over flexed and sprung nibs, ink splattering all over, paper getting ripped to shreds and so on. Well, let me reassure those who are considering dipping - ha! - a toe, that it is not as inaccessible as it may seem.

The limited writing sample below was done shortly after I unboxed my... um, box. :) One nib, one E+M wooden handle thingy, a quick lick of the nib (yeah, I know, sounds surreal) and I was ready to go. Ah, but what about ink? Good question. My local Uni bookstore had a bottle of Lamy Black for $10, so I thought 'That'll do'. Besides which the bottle itself is quite a good shape for dipping into.

Alright, nib, holder, ink... pulls across the Rhodia pad and here we go...

fpn_1406709973__zebra_g_1.png

I realise that overall my writing is pretty awful, and I have kind of fudged any known font, but remember this is my first ever go. The nib glides easily, and I am as cack-handed as they come.

So, if I can do it so can everyone else. Give it a go, you know you want to!! :D

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• ac12

• Icywolfe

• Kosmic-kowgirl

Thanks Marie. It's amazing how many flaws a photo can show. To the naked eye the lettering looked a lot smoother. I look at the photo and shudder. Oh well, baby steps and all that. And let's face it, for less than the cost of lunch you can have a go at some flexy writing!

Incidentally, the 'B' in Basho is all one line. Never tried that before either. It's so much fun I can hardly stand it. :happycloud9:

Edited by Cryptos

David - that is a super first try. Your writing is pretty good. Just wait until you try flexible nibs in a oblique holder - you'll be writing circles around that B (which is brilliant BTW).

Salman

Ah Salman, you are flattering me! With a bit of luck and a lot of practice maybe, just maybe I can do some nice regular script. I'd love to try an oblique holder some time, but I cannot find a good source of them at a reasonable (for me ) price. Even the E+M holder I is from the Ebay (about $4). I amy ask around and see if there are any wood turners in my area that may fancy a small project.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread was to encourage anyone who was thinking about trying a dip pen but who were also shying away from it as being too demanding. It's not. It's fun!

Your fond is lovely :) I wish I could write like that!

The nib seems to work very nicely, I like ow you haven't thorn your paper like I do. Ha!

Perhaps you could post a picture of the nibs themselves? :)

Found a set on ebay that might help you. Oblique holder and a few nibs. Looks decent and not too expensive, i think...

Could always try to make one yourself :P

Edited by SkylarKnight

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png
Hey! I'm Skylar! I am quite new to all of this, but am a very friendly person :3
If you wanna exchange snail-mail, my 'about me' in on page 51 on the snail mail list, and if you like what you see - pm me!

Hey Skylar, thanks!

I have not considered the Speedball handles as they are made of plastic. I don't like them at all. Good prices though. I'll have another go with the nib over the weekend and post an image with the nib included. I don't think I have a light hand but the nib never felt as though it was cutting the paper, and this nib is a sharp as a really sharp thing!!

To follow up Salman

I use the Peerless oblique holder with a Nikko G nib. And I like it :D

http://www.paperinkarts.com/peerls.html

The Peerless holder appears to have been made from a straight Speedball plastic holder with a brass flange installed.

The thing that I like about the brass flange vs. the molded plastic Speedball oblique holder, is that I can bend the flange a bit and get the nib to be at a lower angle to the paper. This makes it easier to flare/flex the nib to get the wider lines, and the pointy tip does not snag the paper.

There are probably better oblique holders, but for my first oblique holder, it seems to be working out quite well.

The Century oblique holder is another one that I've seen recommended by several people

http://www.paperinkarts.com/cenobl.html

and it has a wooden handle.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Did you have to adjust the holder to fit the Nikko?

Thanks for the link. Something to think about at least.

Nope, the Nikko G just slid right in.

If you get the holder from John Neal Books, you can specify the nib you use and they will select the appropriate holder, where they have different holders pre-sized for different nibs.

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s/1

www.SFPenShow.com

Aw shucks, Kate, you flatterer! :blush:

I had a look at your blog... what can I say? I wish I could draw as well as you do. Lovely work! I really liked January Sidhe, the early version with the girl still just a suggestion on the page. I find that straangely powerful. Of course she is a beauty when completed as well, but that early work... yum.

Occasionally I try my hand at a bit of drawing but it usually ends up looking like the output of a blindfolded donkey with a pencil tied to its tail. :rolleyes:

Edited by Cryptos

Oh, what a lovely surprise. Your writing is great, and thank you for a Basho poem. A treat as I look at our hibiscus which I planted for my husband. <3

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

How do you like the Zebra GNibs? Because I keep on seeing them but never bought them as I only use/used Deleter and Kuretake GNibs. Deleter is cheaper but rusts fast, but Kuretake more expensive and doesn't rusts as fast. And another plus it's much more smoother than the Deleter.

You should also use Deleter Black #1 it is a good ink for GNibs it doesn't dry fast, but it doesn't take forever. But never smell the ink. It smell like a chemical spill.

#Nope

@Icywolf

I have 3 different G nibs, but have only used the Nikko, so far.

The Nikko is chrome plated and that plating is doing a good job of protecting the nib.

I have not tried the Zebra or Tachikawa G nibs yet.

www.SFPenShow.com

@Icywolf

I have 3 different G nibs, but have only used the Nikko, so far.

The Nikko is chrome plated and that plating is doing a good job of protecting the nib.

I have not tried the Zebra or Tachikawa G nibs yet.

My Deleter nibs are just disposable like those Bic pens. They rusts within like 2 months. Kuretake nibs are just plain to expensive 7 USD for 3 I think it has coating on them too, that is why mine I don't see and rust on them.

I can't find a seller for Nikko nibs.

#Nope

Icywolfe, as yet I cannot provide a comparison because Zebra G is all I have tried. I don't even know what the 'G' is supposed to signify, I got these because I read someone else enthusing about them... and they were cheap!

That said, they are not that hard to use, even with boring old Lamy black ink. Basically, as in the OP, if I can use them anyone can.

I actually scored a box of NOS Esterbrook #442 stubs for all of $7 shipped. That's going to be quite a difference to the Zebras. Beyond that I know nothing of dip nib types or even where to start reading about them (I tend to jump in and have a go if it's not too expensive, typical guy really)

Edit: I got my Zebras on Ebay. Essentially about $1 each.

Edited by Cryptos

I can't find a seller for Nikko nibs.

Paper & Ink Arts

John Neil Bookseller

Jet Pens (they have 10-packs)

www.SFPenShow.com