90 Years 149 Or Heritage?

Pravda

I know a similar topic was posted earlier, Boheme VS Heritage. But just wanted to see what you folks think.

Over the years I have always fancied a 149 in rose gold trim, but I also really like the Heritage and it made some sense since I already have several 149s. But then again, you can never have enough 149s right? ;)

Shame I really would have liked to go for both, but the 100 Years Anniversary Starwalker (with diamond) and my UNICEF 149 desk set aren't getting any interest over at classifieds :(

Until then I can't afford to spend on pens since I have moved countries for the 3rd time in 3 years so.. but just day dreaming :)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pravda

• georges zaslavsky

• TLMG

• whalebiologist

It depends on what your goals and needs are. If you have a slew of 149s already, that may be something to consider. At the same time, the 149 is an iconic pen while the heritage is not as noticable to the masses. If you want to whip the pen out as a conversation starter, then the 149 is the obvious choice.

I would normally suggest the heritage because I love the design... but, like you, I LOVE rose gold and the 149 pulls off rose gold beautifully!

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

Using the heritage involves a bit of a ritual as you have to extend the nib to write. I like this feature but some may find it annoying. What I like best about the Heritage is how MB have combined the nib retraction feature with a piston filing mechanism.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

They both are marvellous and they are both pistonfillers, choosing would be difficult.

Exactly! I really dislike cartridges so this would've helped me decide immediately but since they're both great candidates.. difficult :)

It depends on what your goals and needs are. If you have a slew of 149s already, that may be something to consider. At the same time, the 149 is an iconic pen while the heritage is not as noticable to the masses. If you want to whip the pen out as a conversation starter, then the 149 is the obvious choice.

I would normally suggest the heritage because I love the design... but, like you, I LOVE rose gold and the 149 pulls off rose gold beautifully!

I usually prefer carrying a 146 in public, only have 149s on me if I am sporting a bag as well.

I really want to eventually have a rose gold trim 149 in my collection long term, but for now I worry that it won't give me much of a feel of a 'new pen' as much as the heritage and will lose its excitement quicker.

Using the heritage involves a bit of a ritual as you have to extend the nib to write. I like this feature but some may find it annoying. What I like best about the Heritage is how MB have combined the nib retraction feature with a piston filing mechanism.

The Heritage piston is one of the things I am dying to try. Think it is really cool how it clicks up to fill and then down to retract or expose the nib. The heritage body is beautiful and so is the white star, I just wish they took more time designing the clip and cap overall to be honest.

Had they allowed it to go clip-less like its limited edition version that would've been just wow!

I have both and agree that they are both fabulous pens. But if I had to pick one, it would be the Heritage without a doubt. Mine are both XF nibs. The Heritage writing experience is the best. Good luck with your decision.

I have both.

Really tough decision if I had to choose.

Maybe some practical considerations? If you write a lot during a (working)day I would prefer the 149 due to its inkcapacity. The Heritage you have to refill frequently.

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

How about a Boheme vs a 149?

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

• 2 weeks later...

1960's-early 1980's 149 over a modern one and heritage any day

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

1960's-early 1980's 149 over a modern one and heritage any day

Why so? I keep noticing folks liking the vintage 149s but was never explained to why

Why so? I keep noticing folks liking the vintage 149s but was never explained to why

First the nibs have much longer tines and were running from semi flexible to flexible, the feed was ebonite allowing better ink flow and the resin composition was less brittle before the change happened in 1985 and the pen body was monobloc.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thanks that's really helpful. Will search the web for attractive deals.

gopens.com is where you should look at if you look for something mint

Thanks again.. I was originally after a Heritage, 146R and a 149 90 just because I liked the rose gold trim. But now you made me curious about vintage 149.. What's celluloid like? Does it feel different to the touch?

Thanks again.. I was originally after a Heritage, 146R and a 149 90 just because I liked the rose gold trim. But now you made me curious about vintage 149.. What's celluloid like? Does it feel different to the touch?

it is warmer to the touch.

I have a 90th 149 and a Heritage, and I have to say for me the Heritage blows the 149 out of the water. I love the nib. It's probably my favourite pen at the moment. I have a B nib which is quite stubbish and a dream to use.