Sunday Fleabay Pick For August 3, 2014

FarmBoy

Something around here seems a miss, or seems to be missing but I digress. All you Esterbrook FANatics out there, grab your buds, this one's for You!

Disclaimer; I am not a pen expert, I rarely write anthing worth reading, I have more broken pens than I have that work, and just to confuse things, people send me broken pens so I don't feel bad breaking them. I know slightnly more than just enough to make me dangerous. This listing *I* find interesting. I did Look Closely at the Same pics and listing descriptions You can see before I decided to mention it here. I would not Knowingly put a pen on the list with serious damage or damage not noted by the seller. Generally, not at all knowingly. If you feel I missed some damage to a pen Please post what you think you see here and I'll gladly go back, look it over again and make any necessary edits to the list.

If you yourself find a Sunday listing and notice it's Not on the list here and wonder Why, well unlike the MIA, I didn't have time to search the net for you but I spotted this one a few days ago and saved it in my watch list and after a bout of withdrawl, I'm posting it here. The rest of my list is not pens that anyone would actually want, most of them are broken.

If you spotted this item on Ebay and wanted to keep it "under the radar" and wish to have Excluded from my Sunday's Pick list, please forward it to me via PM. I won't be doing anything about it since one can't edit the post after a few days and I don't check in this forum that often!

The MIA's usual Fleabay Caveat Emptor applies here. At the very least you're looking at listings that 4 more eyes from someone who isn't a complete pen idiot but likely is close to one has looked pretty closely at first.

For the entirety of the list, you may very well have enough time to dash a quick question or two off to the seller and maybe get an answer back prior to it closing if need be. It wouldn't hurt to try but I doubt there is an unturned stone on this one.

As always, it's Really Nice to hear back here if you are able to get something from this list. I'd provide a sale estimate but I can't afford it.

Good Luck!

Esterbrook DJ Blue Streaker. 9668 nib, low start price but alread a lot of active bidding
some like these and it looks clean.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Esterbrook-J-DJ-Blue-Streaker-fountain-pen-Restored-nearly-new-9668-Med-nib-/251600845324?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a94943a0c

Thanks for reading and I hope you understand why I only had time for one pick.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• pakeo

• Sridhar

It would seem that this is a seller we can trust implicitly.

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

Bidding seems to be one person who is inching the bids up a dollar at a time. Watching this one for the week.

<Wiping tears from eyes and shaking head> Man Farmboy, that was Hilarious!

Whew. That seller Really Does like to hear himself type doesn't he.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-That's a FB post for the ages right there

I have really not been posting on FPN for days now, till I saw this post, Bruce. I could not help posting - Really, it was hilarious.....boy - do you like to type! And wow - it was the mother of all pen descriptions for any pen - the best I have seen so far!

As hard as I can be on Some Fleabay sellers, I gotta do whatever it takes to cover My Own bases you know.

Even if that means having to change the ribbon on my laptop...

Hey, it's my Very First Fleabay pen listing, cut me a Little slack eh? ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Man, that *is* a pretty pen. :puddle: If I didn't already have a 9668 nib I'd be digging through the spare change in the bottom of my car.... But sadly, I will have to let Someone Else have the fun of a nicely restored blue Estie with a drool-worthy nib on it. Sigh.

And yeah, it wasn't till I actually read through the listing text did I realize What was Up.... :headsmack: Yeah, when I realized I also found it pretty hilarious. Well, now we know the *real* reason there wasn't the usual Sunday Fleabay Picks thread -- Bruce was too busy keyboarding! :lol: Dagnabbit, Bruce, didya have to do this to me a week and a half before DCSS? :crybaby:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Farmboy and Bruce -

Thank you for all the great posts. Your posts provide a) a great wealth of information that I learn from, B) a good laugh, or c) both a and b. Keep up the good work!

Edited by VAgal

Pure entertainment. But I think they can do better on the shipping :lticaptd:

I'll have to put the seller in my save seller folder.

P.T. Barnum would be proud in the sales pitch...

What a great listing for a beautiful pen

I have a similar one in a copper color with a 9460 nib that writes amazingly for something about as old as me. (I also have another one with a lower teir nib that I don't think was ever used and still has the stickers on it).

That is one beautiful pen. Can't believe the price of the bid now. However, whoever gets it is will have one fantastic pen. Good job Bruce.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

As hard as I can be on Some Fleabay sellers, I gotta do whatever it takes to cover My Own bases you know.

Even if that means having to change the ribbon on my laptop...

Hey, it's my Very First Fleabay pen listing, cut me a Little slack eh? ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Not bad for a first listing eh Bruce? Not bad at all. Besides the entertainment we are all getting, looks like you are going to set some record going by the latest bid.....!

I wish. Not a chance though.

The record for a J that I know of is $162.50 3 years ago for a J with a Flex nib in it from Jim and Sandy, Ros7261 on Ebay.

While they don't go so all out on the written part of their listings, their exceptional photos more than make up for that, they do All Kinds of pens and are very well known on Ebay by pen people. Plus they're just nice folk with reputations beyond reproach.

I can't see Anyone ever beating that $162.50.

Mine's not doing too badly though. ;)

[EDIT] I found the record pen post in Estieville.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/194507-pretty-weird-flea-bay-listing;-j-with-a-flexie-goes-for-16250/

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I wish. Not a chance though.

The record for a J that I know of is $162.50 3 years ago for a J with a Flex nib in it from Jim and Sandy, Ros7261 on Ebay.

While they don't go so all out on the written part of their listings, their exceptional photos more than make up for that, they do All Kinds of pens and are very well known on Ebay by pen people. Plus they're just nice folk with reputations beyond reproach.

I can't see Anyone ever beating that $162.50.

Mine's not doing too badly though. ;)

[EDIT] I found the record pen post in Estieville.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/194507-pretty-weird-flea-bay-listing;-j-with-a-flexie-goes-for-16250/

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Not too bad at all.

Alas, I can't bid on that beauty because some fiend named OcalaFLGuy FORCED me to buy a nifty little vintage Eversharp Desk set. If only I wasn't so easily led astray! :lticaptd: