What Is Your Favorite Stationery?

dead_brackets

I'm looking for stationery for sending short notes or letters to friends. I have lots of notebooks, but I don't have any stationery for that sort of correspondence. What are your favorites? I'll be looking to pick some up at the DC pen show.

Don't believe everything you think.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EFP

• Keyless Works

• CraigR

• Mr.Smee

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just picked up some tomoe river paper and wow. Although it is thin there is no bleed through and it really makes ink pop! :yikes:

http://i.imgur.com/JkyEiJW.png

I use Crane's notecards and notepaper. It's wonderful paper. Never had a problem with it. I also have some really nice heavy stock notecards custom printed for me by Shutterfly.

Letter paper:

Tomoe River. Clairefontaine Triomphe, Mnemosyne, Rhodia Vellum, Midori Light and MD

Short notes:

Vintage postcards, English Heritage archive postcards, personalised notecards from Honeytree Publishing (UK)

Verba volant, scripta manent

Letter paper:

Tomoe River. Clairefontaine Triomphe, Mnemosyne, Rhodia Vellum, Midori Light and MD

Short notes:

Vintage postcards, English Heritage archive postcards, personalised notecards from Honeytree Publishing (UK)

Must follow your advise there...

Your advice of Poussiere de Lune was Excellent.....

Thanks

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

While not the most exciting I like Medioevalis. I find that this paper can handle just about anything you throw at it, fountain pen ink, inkjet printing and letterpress.

OCM is nice paper but it is just okay with fountain pen ink. G. Lalo Verge de France is another popular one that isn't a sure bet...some colors handle fountain pen ink well and others do not.

Crane makes very high quality paper and as a result you will see it everywhere.

Edited by Keyless Works

Clairefontaine Triomphe lined and unlined - 8.5" x 11" and 5.25" x 8.5" for letters and notes. My wife prints photo cards using her photos on quality fountain pen friendly card stock and I often use them for occasion correspondence.

I also like the Crane lettersets, but have had varying results with some inks.

Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

I'll second the recommendations for Clairefontaine Triomphe. I use the lined paper. It's good for casual correspondence like letter writing.

For more formal letters I use Original Crown Mill classic laid blank paper.

Another paper that I really like, but is not available in the US (maybe one day) is G. Lalo Eclats D'or, which is paper with flecks of gold woven into it. I bought some in England a couple of years ago.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I also use Clairefontaine Triomphe for correspondence. The large pad lined with longer letters and a smaller pad unlined for shorter letters or thank you notes. I also have Tomoe River and I'm sure a lot of people on FPN will appreciate the paper quality but I find that for the average person they think the paper is cheap (probably because of how crinkly it is). I'll also sometimes use Rhodia Premium R if I'm using a more neutral color and don't really need the shading to stand out as much. I wish I had a way of embossing the paper at home though as I think that would add an additional layer of class to the paper.

You should have no problems finding Rhodia and Clairefontaine at the DC pen show but I'm not as sure about Tomoe River.

Message me about nib work in NYC

Instagram | YouTube

I use Crane's notecards and notepaper. It's wonderful paper. Never had a problem with it. I also have some really nice heavy stock notecards custom printed for me by Shutterfly.

Hi Art ~ would you be able to direct me to the Shutterfly heavy stock info?

While not the most exciting I like Medioevalis. I find that this paper can handle just about anything you throw at it, fountain pen ink, inkjet printing and letterpress.

OCM is nice paper but it is just okay with fountain pen ink. G. Lalo Verge de France is another popular one that isn't a sure bet...some colors handle fountain pen ink well and others do not.

Crane makes very high quality paper and as a result you will see it everywhere.

Hello Keyless Works, I am interested in the Medioevalis for mounting photographs onto to make photo cards ~ is it a heavier card stock?

Clairefontaine Triomphe lined and unlined - 8.5" x 11" and 5.25" x 8.5" for letters and notes. My wife prints photo cards using her photos on quality fountain pen friendly card stock and I often use them for occasion correspondence.

I also like the Crane lettersets, but have had varying results with some inks.

Craig

Hi CraigR, do you know what type of paper your wife uses?

Edited by EFP

Good old fashioned Basildon Bond in post quarto size. Their airmail paper is also very good and I'm reliably informed(!)thelight weight character makes it a winner for paper aeroplanes. Not sure you can get either outside the UK however.

Yes, she says that sometimes for small quantities uses the Avery greeting card (ink jet) stock package found at Office Depot or Staples. When she does a larger run and for packages of cards to sell, she jobs out to a local printer. In either case, the papers are uncoated and not glossy. Best to try a sample or two with a couple of pen and ink combinations to make sure that all is compatible. Hope that helps.

Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

Hello Keyless Works, I am interested in the Medioevalis for mounting photographs onto to make photo cards ~ is it a heavier card stock?

I mostly use their writing pads and related envelopes which have a nice ink blotter page but these are 120 gsm which I think would work but most their paper is thicker 250-310gsm which would probably be even better.

Take a look at their website...there are a lot of formats and they list the paper weight:

http://medioevalis.com/

I had an opportunity to scribble a bit on some scrap vellum today. HOLY cow that stuff is neat. Unbelievable how transparent it is though...would make a crazy notebook, but could maybe get away with using it as stationary. I googled vellum and there are more opaque options available.

http://www.behance.com/rgdesignhouse • Ghost Letters Pen-Pal: Sir Francis Drake

Thank you, Keyless Works. I'm getting to know paper weights ~ the folded cards of theirs are 260 gsm, as you mentioned. That sounds pretty sturdy, and I'm glad to hear they're somewhat FP friendly. I'm ready to order some and put them to the test.

Thanks so much, everyone! I'm looking forward to trying some of these out!

Don't believe everything you think.