Platinum International Converter

Tom Traubert

So, I just ordered a Platinum Plaisir - I was very attracted the coloured nibs and plumped for a green one. I'm easily pleased. I also ordered one of these - an adaptor that will allow me to use international standard cartridges. I have two questions and was wondering if anyone could answer them for me:

1: Has anyone used this adapter and, if so, is it any good?

2: Will it allow me to use an international standard converter?

Even if it's poop, I'm not bothered - there seems to be a decent range of Platinum cartridges on the Cult Pens site.

Edited by Tom Traubert

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• Dillo

• migo984

• perrins57

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Yes - I have one in my Platinum Cool and it works really well. I use Diamine cartridges in particular

2. I haven't tried an international converter with it; I might try one later.

Verba volant, scripta manent

If you're in the US (ie: other's reading) you can get 3 of these for $10:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Platinum-Fountain-Pen-Cartridge-Adapters-Use-Int-Cartridges-Platinum-/351084750508

And one comes with a Platinum Pocket Pen he sells:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-PG-250-Black-Gold-BIG-CAP-Fountain-Pen-NEW-/350802942739

2. I haven't tried an international converter with it; I might try one later.

It wouldn't surprise me if the cartridges fit, but the converters are 'too loose' or too long to fit in the barrel.

Edited by KBeezie

Actually I was being a bit daft to suggest I'd try an international convertor in my Cool, as the Platinum convertor works in it (without the adapter fitted, of course). The Platinum converter doesn't fit the OP's Plaisir though.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Now that's pretty cool. Other pen companies could try taking a note out of Platinum's book! I rarely use cartridges myself, but something like this would save having to buy extra a converter (providing the pen's long enough for the length of the converter + the adapter).

Edited by I.M.

Hi,

They did say at one time that the Plaisir wasn't made to use converters due to the design of the feed unlike most other Platinum pens. Do note that in some cases, once you put in the adapter piece, it might be difficult to remove it again.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Now that's pretty cool. Other pen companies could try taking a note out of Platinum's book! I rarely use cartridges myself, but something like this would save having to buy extra a converter (providing the pen's long enough for the length of the converter + the adapter).

Well to do so, the "other" companies would have to have an opening/format that is big enough to be adapted, and in some cases it's not really necessary, especially if you're already using a converter as opposed to cartridges. (the only real benefit to adapting Platinum or Pilot would be the availability of cartridges, it serves little practical use for converters).

Word of warning about these converters!! - I used one in a Platinum PE-500 pocket pen. I nearly had to destroy the pen to get is out afterwards. It was easy to take the international cartridges out, but once I'd got a spare platinum cartridge converter for the pen it was VERY difficult to remove the international adapter first. If you are planning on only using international cartridges, fine go ahead; but if you think you might go back to Platinum cartridges or converter be aware getting the international adapter out may be very tricky.

Song of Solomon 4:12 ~ You are my private garden, my treasure, my bride, a secluded spring, a hidden fountain Pen

Amber Italix Parsons Essential Fine Cursive Stub & Churchman's Prescriptor Bold Italic, Parker 25 F, Twsbi Mini EF, Platinum #3776 Bourgogne SF, Platinum Maki-e Kanazawa Mt. Fuji Med, Platinum President F, Platinum desk pen, Platinum PG250,

Summit 125 Med flex, Conway Stewart Scribe No 330 Fine flex, Stephens 103 F, Mock Blanc 146 F, Pelikan 200 with 14k EF nib, and a Jinhao 675. - I have also sent a Noodler's Ahab & Creeper to recycling.

Word of warning about these converters!! - I used one in a Platinum PE-500 pocket pen. I nearly had to destroy the pen to get is out afterwards. It was easy to take the international cartridges out, but once I'd got a spare platinum cartridge converter for the pen it was VERY difficult to remove the international adapter first. If you are planning on only using international cartridges, fine go ahead; but if you think you might go back to Platinum cartridges or converter be aware getting the international adapter out may be very tricky.

I think you mean adapter.

Was it a matter of getting ahold of the adapter, or just being very tight in there?

Edited by KBeezie

There isn't an easy way to pull the adapter once you've put them in. Especially in pens with deeper grip sections, there isn't a handle or anything you can pull to remove them.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 4 weeks later...

I think you mean adapter.

Was it a matter of getting ahold of the adapter, or just being very tight in there?

Yes, I did mean the adapter.

It was very tight (which is good if you want to leave it in there) and in the PE-500 it was very hard to access. In some other Platinum pens it may be easier to get at, but if the part of the section the adapter fits into is deep (like with the PE-500) I wouldn't recommend using one.

Song of Solomon 4:12 ~ You are my private garden, my treasure, my bride, a secluded spring, a hidden fountain Pen

Amber Italix Parsons Essential Fine Cursive Stub & Churchman's Prescriptor Bold Italic, Parker 25 F, Twsbi Mini EF, Platinum #3776 Bourgogne SF, Platinum Maki-e Kanazawa Mt. Fuji Med, Platinum President F, Platinum desk pen, Platinum PG250,

Summit 125 Med flex, Conway Stewart Scribe No 330 Fine flex, Stephens 103 F, Mock Blanc 146 F, Pelikan 200 with 14k EF nib, and a Jinhao 675. - I have also sent a Noodler's Ahab & Creeper to recycling.