Converter And Cartridges For A Late 80S/early 90S Waterman?

T4TEXAS

I have been pulling out my fountain pens for the first time in many years and working to get them running again. Folks here have been very helpful. Now I have an older Waterman and would like to know if a modern converter and cartridge will work in it? It appears to be a Carene, black and gold, with an 18k nib.

Edited by T4TEXAS

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T4TEXAS

• Left FPN

• RMN

• PAKMAN

Top Posters In This Topic

Modern Waterman-type cartridges and converters will work.

The Carene also allows the use of the short international cartridge.

The nipples on a Waterman and Short international are almost identical. Some Waterman pens are rather narrow in the barrel and are just too narrow to comfortably seat the somewhat flaring rear end of the Short international. And this rear end tends to vary just a little bit between brands, so you could just accommodate brand A and have problems with brand B

Waterman had several different looking converters over the last few years. The current one has an all black bell shaped plastic mouth piece/nipple. This one, when new, takes some force to place properly.

Edit: fitted a Pelikan Edelstein long cartridge in my Carene last week. It just barely fits, but works OK so far.

HTH

D.ick

Edited by RMN

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, D.ick. I ordered a Waterman converter, but it will not insert into the nib section; it's too wide. What do you make of that?

- Jack London

Thanks for the info, D.ick. I ordered a Waterman converter, but it will not insert into the nib section; it's too wide. What do you make of that?

Some have had problems with the current model Waterman converter. That with the black plastic mouth.

1. Does the converter have Waterman stamped on it.

2. Can you provide pictures.

Yes, Waterman is stamped on it. It is the current one with the plastic mouth. I'll try to get a photo up soon.

- Jack London

Yes, Waterman is stamped on it. It is the current one with the plastic mouth. I'll try to get a photo up soon.

I have just tried two new converters and both fit a Carene section. A good firm push is required.

What concerns me is your wording, 'it appears to be a Carene'...does it have Waterman on it. Black and gold with 18k nib describes many pens.

Edited by Force

The pen has "Waterman Made in France" on the barrel's gold ring. The nib is marked 18 K 750, then below a diamond within which there is stacked:

Wat

[image of fountain pen]

SA

Edited by T4TEXAS

- Jack London

From that description it is not a Carene.

The nib you are describing is Exclusive and yes, I have just tried a new style converter into one of these and it does not fit. Yet I have old converters that do fit.

fpn_1409257225__dscn1601.jpg

Edited by Force

The pen is different in that it has a long nib section with decorative gold strips running back from the nib, a characteristic of the Carene. Perhaps other Waterman models have these also? In addition your nib is different: mine does not have WATERMAN IDEAL PARIS and the 18K and 750 are stacked. No gold collar like yours above the nib.

Edited by T4TEXAS

- Jack London

Sorry. My confusion. The pen appears to be a Waterman C/F. Will anything fit it?

Edited by T4TEXAS

- Jack London

THAT explains

The C/F is an older model where the current cartridges and converters do not fit.

You have to look for a C/F converter, they are not that easy to find.

You may have to pay $20 or more.

Try Goulet, if they carry these.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

The last person that I saw selling these CF converters was "penseller from france". lewertowski on ebay

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I saw some on eBay just now for $40! I may just use it as a dip pen.

- Jack London

Thanks, Force. That was my next step. When I clicked your link, he already had another box up. I bought it. $13 is a lot better than $40.

Thanks to all who have helped out.

- Jack London

• 2 weeks later...

The pack of cartridges came in from a UK ebay seller in France. Washed one out and filled it with ink. Works well. Not one I will take out of the house due to the damaged gold "wings" on the nib section and a less than pristine barrel. But a keeper because it writes so well with the 18 k nib.

- Jack London