Conway Stewart 85L Clip Assembly/sac Size

GCS93

Hello everyone! :)

I have recently acquired a Conway Stewart 85L

At them moment it is in a.. Well I guess it's actually in an okay condition, with a few very minor teeth marks (look like they're from a kitten), a slightly bent clip, no sac at all (atleast it looks like it..) and a nib that, although it looks like it maybe(?) had a tumble, writes better than my other pens. I dipped it the other day and the only thing I want to do is get it working as soon as possible! :)

http://i.imgur.com/JiW4JCss.jpg

(click to enlarge)

First off I'd like to get comfy with working on the pen and bend back the clip a bit, however I don't quite understand it's assembly.

From what I've seen on the internet the clip is held in with sort of a nut which I'd have to loosen with a 'split' screwdriver. http://www.pentrace.net/penbase/Data_Returns/full_article.asp?id=334

However, if I shine a torch into my cap I.. can't see much.

I'm not sure if something is totally oxidated or what's up with it. I had a careful poke with a toothpick and it felt hard and gritty. I managed to knock some hard black and white sand out of the cap.

http://i.imgur.com/hKNihtCs.jpg

(click to enlarge)

After getting accustomed to working on the pen I thought I'd try to replace the sac. I've operated the lever and could have a peek inside the barrel and it looks like it's completely empty.. So I hope that it will come off easily.. Does anybody know what sac size this pen takes? I've read that many CS pens take #16, however confirmation would be appreciated a lot. :)

Also, I don't suppose anyone definitely knows what material the pen is made of? I did do my research about CS pens before buying one and have heard about the casein pens..

Thank you very much! :)

Edit, I also hope that I'm in the right section of the forum, but it looks like it fits in here nicely.

Edited by GCS93

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GCS93

• northlodge

• setriode

I have one NOS in green colour and it needs a sac too, so I would also appreciate knowing the correct sac size. The nib was badly misaligned but I have corrected it and found it to be amazingly smooth.

And if anyone would happen to know the outer diameter of the bolt that holds the clip I'd be very glad since I don't have many screwdrivers to try here and will most likely have to buy a new one to file the middle off..

Anyways, I can now clearly see the bolt :) I don't know what was down there in the cap but it was rock hard even with water.

Well, I bought a cheap 6mm screwdriver and grinded the middle of it down with an anglegrinder, which worked a charm. :) http://i.imgur.com/iZtgztbs.jpg

I can now grap the nut, but it's pretty stuck on the screw. I've tried holding it with a rubber glove, but I can't get a good grip on it..

Does anybody know of a solution/oil that might loosen up the threads a bit but obviously not damage the pen? I sadly can't find any good info and have no clue out of what material the pen really is made. Is there anybody about that might know?

Thanks a lot, I've seen that too earlier. :)

It really looks like the nut is stuck on the bolt, so I guess I'll have to either a) think of a solution or b ) leave it for a while and think of something later.

In the meanwhile, whilst I already had a pair of rubber gloves on I managed to get the barrel off. Really was very easy, no heat at all (it was in the sun for a short while).. Wasn't actually really thinking it'd come off and just gave it a gentle tug and 'plop', off it came. Nearly made me fall off my chair :)

section is in a glass of water for the night, although it looks pretty clean already.

http://i.imgur.com/GT9xyxrs.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Thanks a lot, I've seen that too earlier. :)

It really looks like the nut is stuck on the bolt, so I guess I'll have to either a) think of a solution or b ) leave it for a while and think of something later.

In the meanwhile, whilst I already had a pair of rubber gloves on I managed to get the barrel off. Really was very easy, no heat at all (it was in the sun for a short while).. Wasn't actually really thinking it'd come off and just gave it a gentle tug and 'plop', off it came. Nearly made me fall off my chair :)

section is in a glass of water for the night, although it looks pretty clean already.

http://i.imgur.com/GT9xyxrs.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Two possible options

1. warm water can help clean the nut / bolt and thus aid the removal

2. If you have a replacement, then grinding / cutting away the stud will allow the nut and bolt to be pushed out from the top using a punch.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while.. I didn't touch the cap anymore, and in the mean time made myself a small knock-out block and took the feed out and clean everything.

I also ordered a sac, diamine midnight blue ink and some pages of blotting paper.

I then Only had some old shellac that wouldn't dissolve anymore, so I took the pen on holidays in the hope of being able to buy shellac 'open' and not in 250g boxes, which I managed. However I then couldn't get any alcohol to dissolve it..

Well at anyrate, I'm back home now and put the pen together and am very happy with it :)

I'll just need to somehow smooth the nib (I can't quite make out what's wrong with it to be honest) and maybe polish the pen a bit.

Quick writing sample:

http://i.imgur.com/FDL82Ns.jpg

Will need to practice my handwriting a bit again, I'm pretty sure it used to look a bit nicer sometime ago.

Long story short, showed the pen italy before mending it at home. ;)