A Man With Small(Ish) Hands Needs A Good Daily Writer Pen

Johnboy976

Lightweight, made for writing all day, fits nicely in a pocket, and not too long all are characteristic of the vintage era of fountain pens.

First on your list with that budget is a nicely restored Parker 51 aero or vac. There are very reputable dealers (and enablers) who can find you the workhorse that you want. With your list of already great pens, the "51" is a great addition. But you could also look at the 45 and 61.

In the larger size but lightweight category, you could get a restored Duofold. This is going to compare to the size of many of your other pens in your collection. However, this is not really a workhorse for me, but it is a great daily writer.

Sheaffer Balance, Snorkel, Lifetime are also great pens that make an incredible part of your collection.

For modern, I recommend Japanese pens. The big 3 (Sailor, Platinum, and Pilot) all have a great selection of very lightweight pens with varying girths. Most are shorter, and the nibs will be among the best that you will use.

My bottom line: Get a nice "51", and you'll be very pleased with the purchase.

Buzz

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Runnin_Ute

• Johnboy976

• Bo Bo Olson

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, having too thin of a pen would get irritating.

[...]

As for length, I would like to be able to sit the pen in a pocket. So being compact would be nice.

Given the weight issue too, Pilot Elite 95s. Not heavy, compact, sits in shirt pocket without staying proud, girth is about M400. One overlooked feature is that the section is very long and smooth. Your fingers will never sit on threads or rings.

Edited by napalm

As others have suggested, I advocate the Lamy 2000 with a medium point.

I have very small hands for a man, and the balance of this pen is top.

The nib might need tweaking to make it wet enough, but all expensive pens potentially have this stupid and ridiculous possibility.

My Pelikan M205 (i.e., a M200 pen with rhodium plate rather than gold plate) with a M400 medium nib is wet, and wetter than my maxed L2K.

I think Pelikan is sort-of the best you can get. I certainly think that their feeds are.

But the L2K is still bloody top. Best pen I've ever used. On all counts.

My hand is 1/2 inch smaller/shorter than yours.

In my case, diameter was/is a major factor, I cannot stand FAT pens.

And I disqualified the Lamy 2000 because it is both FAT and heavy . And a heavy pen like you said gets my hand tired.

I like my writers to be down at 15 grams weight. I will tolerate up to about 20 gram, but I cut off at about 22 grams.

• The Lamy 2000 weighs 25 grams empty.
  • A Parker 51 desk pen weights 12 grams empty.

I agree with some above, and here is my list of suggestions in no particular order other than alpha

• Parker 51, 75, 45, Vacumatic, Duofold
  • Pelikan M200, M205, M400
  • Sheaffer snorkel. If only for the unique snorkel filling mechanism. With either the triumph or normal nib.
  • Sheaffer Targa, really nice with the inlaid nib

If you are at your desk a lot, have you considered a desk pen?

Beginning in college, for long writing sessions, I prefer to use my desk pen rather than any of my clip pens. There is something about that long tail makes it seem easier to write with. Although that might just be in my head ;) . I have Parker 45, 51 and Sheaffer Touchdown desk pens, I and I like them all.

An interesting combo if you don't have space on your desk for a base is a Parker 51 desk pen with a standard Parker 51 cap. Then you can put it in your desk drawer or in you pen cup. The only problem with this is, 51 caps are not easily found.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'll add to the chorus for the Parker 51, Pelikan M2xx series or the Lamy 2000 series. Given how the pens match up, this would then include the Pelikan M400. You really hopefully should find a way to handle each for yourself. Another distinguishing factor will be whether you prefer a hooded or open nib. I use both and like both, but YMMV of course. All of these hold a healthy load of ink and so are great for a full day of work I think.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

You really hopefully should find a way to handle each for yourself.

I highly second this comment.

I got my Lamy 2000 via the internet.

As soon as I picked it up, I knew it was going to be a problem.

I could feel both the fatness and the weight, and that was the problem.

Also watch out for some of the metal pens, they are HEAVY.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I highly second this comment.

I got my Lamy 2000 via the internet.

As soon as I picked it up, I knew it was going to be a problem.

I could feel both the fatness and the weight, and that was the problem.

Also watch out for some of the metal pens, they are HEAVY.

This was precisely how I felt on receiving my online purchase of the Lamy 200 and the shape of the barrel and the slippery steel section did not help. I kept it for 6 months and then sold it on. With the money I bought a Sheaffer Sentinel Touchdown which has a better nib, grip and feel.

I prefer smaller pens, too. When posted, their smaller barrels keep the edge of the cap from rubbing against the web of my hand.

I'm going against the grain to mention some pens that don't get a lot of attention, though not for a lack of merit.

If you're going for more of a frequent daily user, I'd recommend finding one that doesn't screw-on to post. Best options here being the Pilot Stargazer or Stella (~$100-150), Sailor Pro Gear Slim (~$100-150) or FC Pocket 40 (~$120-200) if you like finer nibs; for wider nibs, I found the Monteverde Sonata and Taccia Portuguese (both discontinued, but still carried by random sellers) are really wonderful in terms of their design and balance. For a pricier but rarer pocket sized piston-filler, I'd go for the Aurora Mini in a heartbeat.

If you don't mind a more leisurely pen experience, the best small pens I've tried where the cap screws on to post are the Sailor Pro Gear Slim (or Sapporo) Mini ($100-150) and the Stipula Bon Voyage (~$85).

I'd caution against going straight for a custom pen unless you've had a chance to really test out a handful of smaller pens to get a feel for what floats your boat best.

From my own experiences :-

Modern - Pelikan according to your wallett and size preferances. The M150 being the smallest of the Pelikan range

Vintage - Parker Slimfold. About the same size as the Pelikan M150, and a great 14K nib for not much money at all.

A M150 and Slimfold travel everywhere with me now.

I have just measured my hand (another first - the things one gets up to on FPN!) and it is no more than 7.25in.

Two of my favourite and most comfortable pens are a Pelikan M600 and a Lamy 2000. The 2000 is in use all the time because it has a superb (M) nib and is so very comfortable - an effortless pen.

I also have an M800 which is nice but does get a little heavy after a bit.

Hope that helps.

I recognize this is a challenge to find a pen to suit YOUR preferences, rather than convince you to get a pen I like.

Small hands are not the issue for me, A fountain pen doesn't have to "fit like a glove". It fits like a "wrist watch".

That is , comfort and balance is more important to me. I have small hands and like large, heavy pens. The Pelikan

M800 is an above-average-size pen. It is "hefty" from the brass piston mechanism. Slightly smaller, and a lot lighter,

is the M600 and M400. In most modern fountain pens, the ink system is cartridge, so weight is typically less.

Pelikans and vintage Parkers classically have good-flowing nibs. Weight and ballance is too personal.

$350 is a substantial amount of money. Why not try some pens "for fit" ? In Maryland, Bertram's Inkwell is a store

with helpful staff. The location is Bethesda or Kessington (?). Any other Marylanders have suggestions ?

Once you find a size, style, and balance that suits you, the selection will be narrowed a lot.

Do keep us updated, please.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

A Pelikan M600 is a well-sized pen. without the brass piston fittings of the 800/1000, it is a lighter pen that is ideal for lengthy writing sessions......

J

I have an M800 myself and was very pleasantly surprised by this pen. I find it really comfortable to use and the construction seems excellent. Assuming that an M600 is just a tad lighter and smaller, this might be a very good choice for you. Perhaps you can find a used M600 or M800 in mint condition from a reputable seller?

By the way, I have smallish hands as well. How comfortable a pen is, depends very much on your grip. I can handle the Montblanc 149, which is definitely quite big, if I remember to "drape my fingers around the pen", so to speak. Let the pen work under its own weight and guide it across the page. For me, thinner pens are less comfortable to use, because I tend to grip and squeeze more.

The Pelikan M800 / MB 146 is pretty much the sweet spot for me with regards to size and weight. But I agree with others that it is a personal choice and your preferences may be quite different from mine.

Edited by pmhudepo

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

I think the oft-mentioned Parker 45 would be worth a try. I've had mine for 50 years, and I'm not tired of it yet.

One vote for a Pelikan M200/M400, they post superbly, are really light, and better suited to a smaller hand.

@arts_nibs

At 26g the Parker Sonnet may not be a bad idea. It is much heavier (almost double) than the Pelikan 200/400, but isn't much adrift from the Parker 51 at 23g for several I have.

For a tiny investment ($6) you could try the Kaigelu 356, which is almost identical in weight and size and is worth it to avoid making a mistake. I did a comparison review here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/222537-sonnet-comparisons-with-lookalikes/ . All in all, the Sonnet isn't a bad pen & should come well within the specified budget, leaving some money over for something else.

The Sonnet is a small pen, but also fits my large hands (more than 1" bigger than the size quoted), so should be OK either way.

Regards,

Richard.

Johnboy, while there have been several mentions for a P-51, I haven't seen anyone mention the smaller P-51 Demi. It is slightly smaller than the full size 51 but still the same great pen.

They are a bit tougher to find on Fleabay as you have to get the sellers to let you know the length capped measurements, as there is only a 3/8's inch difference between the two. (5" vs 5 3/8's)

Though there are less 51 Demis going around and you'll have to look closer at the 51's to note the smaller ones, you May be able to get the Demi for a few dollars Less than the full size as most people are looking for the larger model.

There was a decent looking Teal 51 Demi for a decent price in our Classifieds a few days ago.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

The pen I am using today would probably suit you. It is elegant, fairly rare and within your price parameters if you have patience.

It is a Parker 75 Premier in Athenes pattern. The 75 is a relatively slim pen but suits small and fairly large hands (like mine). They also have a large range of nibs that can still be found (I am writing with a very fine accountant's nib in mine).

http://www.parker75.addr.com/Reference/75_Branches/Premier,_athenes.jpg

Li-Tah Wong doesn't have any of these right now but is offering a Premier in Chinese lacque for well under your price cap (with any nib you like) http://www.parker75.com/

http://www.parker75.addr.com/Exchange/Premiers/Premier%20laque%20RB%201.JPG

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html