Kickstarter For Nexus Fountain Pen

MrThoth

The creators have done another project before... on 3D-printed dinosaurs. Even though these projects are vastly different I think we understand that a lot of us similarly have hobbies that are unique from each other, but I wonder if these guys do have a passion for fountain pens or are in it for something else.

I wonder what you mean by "are in it for something else". They are in it for the money and that makes perfect sense. I believe you were wondering whether they are passionate about fountain pens (as most members of FPN) or not. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. That makes no difference whatsoever. If you like the design and want to own one, their passions shouldn't stand in your way. Do you really believe that all the pens we so lovingly buy are made by people extremely passionate people? Nope. A business exists to earn money, these guy are most likely in it for money as well.

As for people "wary of Kickstarter", I feel for you but logically thinking, the disappointing stuff that happens on Kickstarter is not a shortcoming of the Kickstarter platform. There have been numerous "schemes" on Kickstarter in the past and also on Ebay. That doesn't diminish the site's value, both sites are pretty good at what they set out to do.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MrThoth

• watch_art

• Icywolfe

• Jamerelbe

As for the pen itself - I backed the project just to get one - I didn't watch the video or read any of the advertising material. I don't care. I just thought the pen looked cool so I'm getting one. :)

Actually I think a lot of great things are developed on Kirkstarter. There are a few bad eggs (just as there are in any marketplace) but the vast majority are either passionate about their project, are doing fundraising or simply see a market niche where they can make some money. Unfortunately the actions of the few can taint the reputations of everyone else. Like Ebay you just have to be smart about who you deal with and not commit more money than you can stand to potentially lose (even though the chance of losing your money is small).

Personally I'm concerned that ridges will bother my fingers because of I have unusual skin sensitivities. That alone shoots this pen out of the water for me.

I read the comments above and agree about the lack of utility of a small clip less cap, but I found the design rather nice-looking. It resembles the Porsche Design fountain pen that comes without a cap and needs to be carried in an aluminum tube. Compared to that, the Nexus is actually more practical and a great deal cheaper. Also, they've achieved their stretch goal and are now offering the body in Titanium, just like the PD pen. I just contributed GBP 40 to back the Ti version of the pen as it will be more distinctive than just another Al pen, and I'd like to support the creators' dinosaur habit! :)

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

I backed this for the cheapest amount. This might become my pocket pen aka my beater pen. and it will replace my Noodler's Creaper as I doubt this Creaper will last a few years it's already cracking from the heat of Southern California!

#Nope

I thought seriously about kicking in on this pen, but it comes with only two choices of nib sizes, fine and medium. I pretty much only buy stubs these days so the lack of nib choices rules this pen out for me. Too bad because it does look intriguing.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

For those of you just tuning in, this Kickstarter has crossed £42,000 (oer 420% of goal) and unlocked the titanium version of the pen.

The creators continue to do (in my professional opinion) a poor job actually running the Kickstarter, but clearly that hasn't gotten in their way. If nothing else, hopefully this will show other potential creators that there's a serious market for fountain pen projects on Kickstarter.

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

For those of you just tuning in, this Kickstarter has crossed £42,000 (oer 420% of goal) and unlocked the titanium version of the pen.

The creators continue to do (in my professional opinion) a poor job actually running the Kickstarter, but clearly that hasn't gotten in their way. If nothing else, hopefully this will show other potential creators that there's a serious market for fountain pen projects on Kickstarter.

I've never bought in to a Kickstarter project before, but decided to jump in on this one, sometime last week. Not having followed a project through this stage, I don't think they're doing so badly - they're trying to provide regular answers to questions, and take suggestions on board re stretch goals.

I suppose they could find themselves in a spot of bother if (for example) they decide to offer a pen case or cartridge converter as a stretch goal, expecting a lot of supporters to 'buy in' - then find themselves having to supply (for example) 10 cases on a price structure that assumed they'd be ordering 100. Is that what you mean when you say the're doing 'a poor job' - or is there something else they're not up to standard on? Not meant as a criticism MrThoth, just curious!

I've never bought in to a Kickstarter project before, but decided to jump in on this one, sometime last week. Not having followed a project through this stage, I don't think they're doing so badly - they're trying to provide regular answers to questions, and take suggestions on board re stretch goals.

I suppose they could find themselves in a spot of bother if (for example) they decide to offer a pen case or cartridge converter as a stretch goal, expecting a lot of supporters to 'buy in' - then find themselves having to supply (for example) 10 cases on a price structure that assumed they'd be ordering 100. Is that what you mean when you say the're doing 'a poor job' - or is there something else they're not up to standard on? Not meant as a criticism MrThoth, just curious!

That's a perfectly valid question, and no criticism taken. ;)

To be fair to these creators, I've never run a Kickstarter for something like a pen -- mine have all been for roleplaying game products, i.e. books. So the considerations may be different in some respects. I can only speak from my own experience.

While the creators seem to be doing a reasonable job responding to questions, they don't overall seem to have planned the whole project well. This isn't necessarily a huge strike against them -- planning and executing a Kickstarter is a lot harder than it looks -- but I think they'd be even more successful with some basic preparations. There are lots of sources of KS advice out there, many of them free, and I wonder if they consulted any of them. For example:

1. Based on the video and the written responses to questions, it seems to me the creators aren't native English speakers. There's nothing wrong with this -- lots of people aren't, after all ;) -- but their potential market is overwhelmingly comprised of native English speakers. IMO they should have had someone on board who is a native English speaker to make the responses more natural sounding (and less confusing in some cases) and generally smooth the interaction with their public.

2. Similarly, I think they should've been prepared in advance with info on technical questions and provided that in advance as part of the page/FAQ.

3. Most importantly, they don't seem to have "planned for success." 420% of goal is impressive and commendable! But once you hit your goal in a KS, you often run into a funding slowdown (though the degree of slowdown may vary between projects). One of the ways you counteract that is to be prepared with fresh announcements, stretch goals planned in advance, and the like. So far they've issued only one update and provided only one stretch goal. Given their degree of success I'd have expected a little more in this regard. You are absolutely right that they (and other project creators) should be careful not to get caught in the trap of offering "too much extra stuff" -- that adds to expenses, to your administrative burden, and so on. But ideally you should be ready with multiple stretch goals to keep people interested and the money flowing in. You should plan for this level of success in advance -- the planning costs you nothing and can help make you more money.

For example, if this had been my project, I would absolutely have planned to offer some sort of attachable clip as a stretch goal. Their reasons for not wanting to include one on the pen are perfectly valid as far as I'm concerned -- but it doesn't take a crystal ball to know that more than a few backers would really want a clip. If you make it a stretch goal, you (a) provide many of your customers with something they want, which (b ) isn't that difficult to manufacture (AFAIK) and adds basically nothing to the weight of your packages, and (c ) which some customers will want strongly enough to increase their pledges to get and thus help maintain your momentum. It's a no-brainer to me (though again to be fair to the creators, I have no idea of the specifics of their project/situation; this might not be feasible for some reason).

Overall, though, these are just quibbles -- things I'd mention by way of example in one of the "how to run a Kickstarter" seminars I often teach. None of them are mortal sins or project-killers by any means (as can be seen from their level of funding).

Edited by MrThoth

MrThoth

I revisited the Kickstarter page. The explanation about the filling process is much better now.

So they do learn from the questions.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

@MrThoth, thanks for the reply - if ever you DO set up a fountain pen Kickstarter, be sure to clue me in! In the meantime, looking forward to seeing how these guys 'stretch' their stretch goals (and whether they manage to wangle any more money out of THIS backer...).

Will do. ;) At this point I'm content to Kickstarter books and games, which I at least have some familiarity with producing -- but you never know. I'd love to be able to produce fountain pens to my own design(s). But learning the ins and outs of that manufacturing process is probably too much of a new trick for this ol' dog. ;)

On the other hand, no doubt the Founain Pen Network members would be happy to offer suggestions and guidance. In the end I'd have to call the pen the FPN Camel. ;)

MrThoth

I revisited the Kickstarter page. The explanation about the filling process is much better now.

So they do learn from the questions.

D.ick

This is the bit that makes no sense to me:

"Parker Converters "At the Bottle" - Some converters like the Parker do not clip onto the the main feed tube but still fit by latching onto the outside walls of the feed attachment. You can fill the converter at the bottle and then insert it into the body, but you can't fill through the nib as there is air leakage at point of attachment."

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

This is the bit that makes no sense to me:

"Parker Converters "At the Bottle" - Some converters like the Parker do not clip onto the the main feed tube but still fit by latching onto the outside walls of the feed attachment. You can fill the converter at the bottle and then insert it into the body, but you can't fill through the nib as there is air leakage at point of attachment."

Actually I think I understand. Normally the nipple fits on the piercing shaft and grips securely at the mouth of the cartridge or converter.

The Parker mouth is too large to fit securely. But the Parker cartridge sits fairly smug not at the mouth but at the shoulders so to say.. Not smug enough to create the vacuum to fill through the nib, but enough to dispense the ink to the feed.

I understand, but that makes it tricky as well.That converter won't sit very good with a risk of airleak, skipping, or blurping of ink. So: Parker converter possible but at your own peril.

D.ick

~

~

@RMN,that's how I understood it too - which (to my mind) really means "Parker refill DON'T fit over the nipple, but at this stage of the game we're a bit embarrassed to admit we got this wrong"...!?!

@RMN,that's how I understood it too - which (to my mind) really means "Parker refill DON'T fit over the nipple, but at this stage of the game we're a bit embarrassed to admit we got this wrong"...!?!

Entirely possible.... but I won't pass judgement on this one....

D.ick

~

~

I'm not passing judgment either, just voicing a sneaking suspicion :wacko: - but won't be risking a Parker cartridge / converter either way...

Edited by Jamerelbe

Am I wrong - I thought it needed to be a sealed system for the ink to flow down into the nib properly. So if the converter is not seating well enough to draw ink up, how will it be sitting well enough to enable the system to work properly?

(If I have milk in a straw, and I put my finger over the end and then lift it from the glass, milk stays in. If I take my finger off, milk runs back out. So I am thinking, ink...)

Am I wrong - I thought it needed to be a sealed system for the ink to flow down into the nib properly. So if the converter is not seating well enough to draw ink up, how will it be sitting well enough to enable the system to work properly?

(If I have milk in a straw, and I put my finger over the end and then lift it from the glass, milk stays in. If I take my finger off, milk runs back out. So I am thinking, ink...)

Yep, that's the gist of what we have been discussing ^^^^^.

D.ick

~

~

Theoretically, if the seal between the outer wall of the converter and the inner wall of the pen is tight enough, it'll prevent the flow of ink - but yes, if the seal is as tight as all that, you'd expect it would be able to create a vacuum strong enough to draw ink up through the nib!

That said, this is not a deal-breaker for me - I'm happy to use a standard international cartridge converter and be done with it! Just a little concerned that some unsuspecting 'novice' who buys the pen might be in for an unpleasant surprise if they go with a Parker insert...