Kickstarter For Nexus Fountain Pen

MrThoth

If this pen was marketed by one of the big manufacturers it would have a much different reception here. To be fair it's nothing special in the modern FP market but it doesn't really deserve the reaction it's getting here. It's just a pen, guys. Relax.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MrThoth

• watch_art

• Icywolfe

• Jamerelbe

If this pen was marketed by one of the big manufacturers it would have a much different reception here. To be fair it's nothing special in the modern FP market but it doesn't really deserve the reaction it's getting here. It's just a pen, guys. Relax.

Some folk are still a bit tender from last years Kickstarter debacle.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Some people are just a bunch of nattering nabobs of negativism.

Some people, me included aren't so keen on taking risks on an unproven product. It look nice however not having a clip is a deal breaker for me. Before I ever buy I scour the internet for reviews and mentioning of other products made by the brand to hopefully ensure that a purchase is not money badly spent. It's impossible to do this when it is a kickstarter also people are more wary after the visionaire debacle.

Edited by The Blue Knight

Several times people posting in this thread have referred to "the Visionaire debacle" (or used similar phrasing). Since I wasn't on FPN at the time, I'm not aware of what you're referring to. Would someone mind explaining briefly? I'd like to understand the context. I recall a Kickstarter for a Visionaire fountain pen; what turned it into a debacle?

Edited by MrThoth

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Several times people posting in this thread have referred to "the Visionnaire debacle" (or used similar phrasing). Since I wasn't on FPN at the time, I'm not aware of what you're referring to. Would someone mind explaining briefly? I'd like to understand the context.

Long story.

The long story is here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/248297-visionnaire-fountain-pen

Short Story: enthousiastic Kickstarter project, that had in the initial version quite some holes. Later on the texts were changed and streamlined.

A lot of people send money. But some of our attentive members found out the proposed pen was just an existing Chinese pen. When delivered many buyers had a bad experience. The pen was mentioned by several buyers, as I described: a debacle. Just do a search on Visionaire here on the forum.

On a positive side: many of the disappointed buyers came looking here for help, and are now members.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Several times people posting in this thread have referred to "the Visionaire debacle" (or used similar phrasing). Since I wasn't on FPN at the time, I'm not aware of what you're referring to. Would someone mind explaining briefly? I'd like to understand the context. I recall a Kickstarter for a Visionaire fountain pen; what turned it into a debacle?

When I first saw the advertising I wasn't impressed as it looks like another no name pen that a plethora of Chinese brands make and thought nothing of it. However I started listening to the pen-addict podcast podcast a few weeks ago and listened to the back cataloge of episodes and heard about it in the episode I have linked below.

http://5by5.tv/penaddict/80

Worth a listen if you are interested.

That is not this.

And a large number of criticisms this time have been targeting things that have nothing to do with it being a kickstarter. As though the complainers think these dudes should design the precise pen that THEY want and if it is not exactly to THEIR specifications than it is horrible and nobody should buy it.

Seriously, you might urge caution at investing in a kickstarter, and maybe discuss the differences between this kickstarter and that one that was bad. That would help people decide if these guys are more honest than the last. Or maybe if you are interested in design say "Oh, I prefer a cap with a clip for my own pens" or "I like the look but prefer a narrower grip section." Constructive, straight forward discussion. Always remembering that, if it isn't the pen for you for whatever reason, then you are not required to buy it.

But the deluge of negativity and and nitpicky criticisms that hit this thread almost immediately is unwarranted and, frankly, annoying. Seriously, if you are that picky about pens, and know that much about design, then go make the perfect pen. Until you do, I will continue to quote Safire at you because, if I wanted to hear scores of people who never actually produce anything themselves constantly second guessing decisions of those who do, then I'd already have become a football fan.

People are discussing it in a completely just manor I don't see the discussion as overly negative, people are just wary from what happened before.

Thank you to those of you who clarified the "debacle" matter. ;)

I'm sorry to hear so many of you here have had a negative experience with Kickstarter. From my perspective as someone who's backed well over 100 Kickstarter projects, who's run about half a dozen successful projects (including one that briefly held a "top ten" earnings position in its category), and who's been associated with numerous other projects in various ways, I think it's a fantastic resource. Like any other marketplace online it requires its own approach and some caution on the "buyer's" part, though I have found the results to be well worth that effort.

But all of that has nothing to do with fountain pens, so I'll shut up now. ;) If anyone would like to talk further about Kickstarter in general you're welcome to PM me.

MrThoth

That is not this.

And a large number of criticisms this time have been targeting things that have nothing to do with it being a kickstarter. As though the complainers think these dudes should design the precise pen that THEY want and if it is not exactly to THEIR specifications than it is horrible and nobody should buy it.

Seriously, you might urge caution at investing in a kickstarter, and maybe discuss the differences between this kickstarter and that one that was bad. That would help people decide if these guys are more honest than the last. Or maybe if you are interested in design say "Oh, I prefer a cap with a clip for my own pens" or "I like the look but prefer a narrower grip section." Constructive, straight forward discussion. Always remembering that, if it isn't the pen for you for whatever reason, then you are not required to buy it.

But the deluge of negativity and and nitpicky criticisms that hit this thread almost immediately is unwarranted and, frankly, annoying. Seriously, if you are that picky about pens, and know that much about design, then go make the perfect pen. Until you do, I will continue to quote Safire at you because, if I wanted to hear scores of people who never actually produce anything themselves constantly second guessing decisions of those who do, then I'd already have become a football fan.

No-one has said this is a horrible pen, or that nobody should buy it. That people are not 'required to buy it' should not bar them for discussing the relative merits of this pen.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

The creators have done another project before... on 3D-printed dinosaurs. Even though these projects are vastly different I think we understand that a lot of us similarly have hobbies that are unique from each other, but I wonder if these guys do have a passion for fountain pens or are in it for something else.

The creators have done another project before... on 3D-printed dinosaurs. Even though these projects are vastly different I think we understand that a lot of us similarly have hobbies that are unique from each other, but I wonder if these guys do have a passion for fountain pens or are in it for something else.

Clearly they are planning to use the fortune they will amass from selling fountain pens to support their dinosaur habit.

And honestly, I'd respect that kind of motive.

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

Weird double posting incident...

Edited by Wheatflower

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

Clearly they are planning to use the fortune they will amass from selling fountain pens to support their dinosaur habit.

Yes! Now I'm even gladderer that I backed them! (gladderer?)

:P

Seconded. ;)

It's not uncommon to see someone who's interested in being some sort of "manufacturing entrepreneur" to start with something easy on Kickstarter to learn the ropes, then proceed to more complex projects as they become more confident with the logistics and administrative aspects of manufacturing. That's one reason you see so many wallet projects on Kickstarter -- manufacturing wallets is comparatively easy.

So maybe the dinos were a trial run.

MrThoth

This pen doesn't exactly inspire me to back the project but on the other hand it doesn't offend my sensibilities. The aesthetic is somewhat appealling but the ridges look uncomfortable to me. If I hanker after a Bock nib I can preopbably find a better pen that uses them. I am suspicious of the "converter flexibility" but kudos to the inventors if they manage to pull it off. As usual I hope for the inventors and investors that the project is a success.

Unfortunately there are some con artists on Kickstarter and some people are justifiably wary of the Kickstarter system, myself included.