Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:32

Re reading the filling part.

Strange.

1 I understand, standard cartridge or the long ones from Pelikan.

2 I understand basically. Fill the converter in the bottle and insert in the pen. Good for when your bottle is almost empty. But why a Parker converter works on an standard international? (as noted by several others ^^^^)

3 With a Faber-Castell converter you can suck the ink through the section and nib. Why only with an FC-converter? And can't you fill the FC-converter straight out of the bottle?

Strange. Like with the "Visionaire Debacle" there are too many loose ends to what seems a wonderful story.

I wanted to ask this as a question, but you need either Facebook or be a Kickstarter member. I have/am neither.

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#32 load81

load81

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:24

Do you EVER carry a fountain pen around in your shirt pocket? Again, in my estimation most clips are only roll-stoppers (since I don't post most of the time) and ornaments to make things prettier. I'm sure SOME people carry a fountain pen in their pockets, but a lot of us never do.

Not in my shirt pocket but in my jacket pocket all the time. Where else could you carry a pen? Even if they are only roll stoppers they are useful.

I dont want to judge about the "design" of this, but having a manufacturing background i would say form follows function here. And the function is being as easy to manufacture as humanly possible. Two simple turned aluminium parts, standard supplier nib and probably feed, standard converter and your basically done.

#33 MrThoth

MrThoth

Rare

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:28

:P But if the only people to buy it are the backers for the discount, then how is this any different than just MassDrop in the long run? Other than being machined metal in a pen, it doesn't strike me as much different from the offerings you can get from Faber-Castell for around the same intended price (ie: not taking into account the 'early' backer discount). . 

Personally if it does reach it's goal that's great, but they may want to consider making the grip section more sleek and comfortable looking, least that would truly be more minimalistic. (plus being able to post it, or at least a clip if you can't post it would be a better route, otherwise you got a loose piece you have to keep track of that could just roll away) 

Also wouldn't minimalism be more like a capless with a button filler behind a blind cap? no need to take apart etc, just dip, pump it a few times and write. 

Huh?

All I did was report a fact -- that they're likely to succeed based on Kickstarter's statistics.

I haven't said one word about (a) the relative merits of Kickstarter versus other forms of funding/crowdfunding (which I'm not sure are relevant topics here at FPN, though I'm certainly willing to discuss them if people want to), ( B) the relative worth of the pen compared to other pens, © how "minimalist" the pen is or isn't, or (d) what features the pen should or shouldn't include (comments which, if you're seriously concerned about the issue, should be posted on the Kickstarter's page, where the designers will see them, rather than here).

This isn't my Kickstarter -- as I stated in my first post which started this thread, I have no assocation with it. So I'm not sure why you're making these comments in a response to me, in a post which didn't raise any of these issues. All I'm doing is passing along information to a group of afficionados who might be interested in it.

Edited by MrThoth, 28 July 2014 - 11:32.

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

#34 MrThoth

MrThoth

Rare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:32

Strange.

2 I understand basically. Fill the converter in the bottle and insert in the pen. Good for when your bottle is almost empty. But why a Parker converter works on an standard international? (as noted by several others ^^^^)

3 With a Faber-Castell converter you can suck the ink through the section and nib. Why only with an FC-converter? And can't you fill the FC-converter straight out of the bottle?

Strange. Like with the "Visionaire Debacle" there are too many loose ends to what seems a wonderful story.

I wanted to ask this as a question, but you need either Facebook or be a Kickstarter member. I have/am neither.

D.ick

Since I am registered on Kickstarter, I can send the creators a question if you'd like. I am not backing this KS so I can't post comments directly to the project's page, but I can send the creators a private question.

Phrase your question with as much clarity and detail as you think is needed and either post it here, or send it to me via private message, and I'll pass it on to the project's creators and then post whatever response I get here.

Edited by MrThoth, 28 July 2014 - 11:33.

MrThoth

#35 Algester

Algester

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:39

I'd say THIS IS BETTER OFF AS A DESK PEN :X

#36 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 1,703 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 18:01

Hmmm... they've altered the filling description since I last read it. Either I'm confused, or they're confused. Or both... or all three!

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : Blu Tack: A Fab Fountain Pen Diagnostic and Servicing Tool

#37 ArtsNibs

ArtsNibs

lahlahlaw

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2014 - 18:38

And in regards to the Titanium nibs (if they hit their goal)... any real benefits to that? 

Yes, flexibility. I have a Delta Galassia Titantio with a Ti22 nib and it's a very springy, semi-flex even.

#38 rafapa

rafapa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2014 - 19:35

Strange.

D.ick

I asked the question yesterday, no answer to date.

#39 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 7,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2014 - 20:00

Since I am registered on Kickstarter, I can send the creators a question if you'd like. I am not backing this KS so I can't post comments directly to the project's page, but I can send the creators a private question.

Phrase your question with as much clarity and detail as you think is needed and either post it here, or send it to me via private message, and I'll pass it on to the project's creators and then post whatever response I get here.

I asked the question yesterday, no answer to date.

Thanks both. Interested to hear what the answer to Rafapa's question will be.

D.ick

#40 ninad

ninad

Mottled

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:23

Having the converter flexibility is a nice feature, I'll grant that. But I like clips, and I already have a Lamy 2000, so...

I don't understand the novelty of converter flexibility. it's not like you're going to assign two converters to this pen. As far as carts go, again, you just carry whatever carts are necessary. 

Edit: Also, why position your pen ("ergonomic body, born of one seamless arc") against mass production techniques when the best thing about the pen, the Bock nib, is mass produced and supplied to a significant portion of new pens worldwide?

Edit #2: I'm so sick of weasel words in kickstarter projects (and elsewhere).

"...the solidity, the substance that resides in the object."

What the...

Also, 

Sometimes less is more. Stripping an object of all its non-essential features can deliver a more direct, raw, uninhibited experience. [...] What if we achieved this level of experience with a fountain pen, an instrument that means so much for creative expression?

Ick.

Edited by ninad, 29 July 2014 - 03:33.

#41 strictlyobiter

strictlyobiter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:58

If this pen was marketed by one of the big manufacturers it would have a much different reception here. To be fair it's nothing special in the modern FP market but it doesn't really deserve the reaction it's getting here. It's just a pen, guys. Relax.

#42 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 7,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:08

If this pen was marketed by one of the big manufacturers it would have a much different reception here. To be fair it's nothing special in the modern FP market but it doesn't really deserve the reaction it's getting here. It's just a pen, guys. Relax.

Some folk are still a bit tender from last years Kickstarter debacle.

D.ick

#43 Moose22

Moose22

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:50

Some people are just a bunch of nattering nabobs of negativism.

#44 The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:07

Some people, me included aren't so keen on taking risks on an unproven product. It look nice however not having a clip is a deal breaker for me. Before I ever buy I scour the internet for reviews and mentioning of other products made by the brand to hopefully ensure that a purchase is not  money badly spent. It's impossible to do this when it is a kickstarter also people are more wary after the visionaire debacle.

Edited by The Blue Knight, 29 July 2014 - 22:28.

#45 MrThoth

MrThoth

Rare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:03

Several times people posting in this thread have referred to "the Visionaire debacle" (or used similar phrasing). Since I wasn't on FPN at the time, I'm not aware of what you're referring to. Would someone mind explaining briefly? I'd like to understand the context. I recall a Kickstarter for a Visionaire fountain pen; what turned it into a debacle?

Edited by MrThoth, 29 July 2014 - 11:07.

MrThoth

#46 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 7,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:14

Several times people posting in this thread have referred to "the Visionnaire debacle" (or used similar phrasing). Since I wasn't on FPN at the time, I'm not aware of what you're referring to. Would someone mind explaining briefly? I'd like to understand the context.

Long story.

The long story is here: http://www.fountainp...re-fountain-pen

Short Story: enthousiastic Kickstarter project, that had in the initial version quite some holes. Later on the texts were changed and streamlined.

A lot of people send money. But some of our attentive members found out the proposed pen was just an existing Chinese pen. When delivered many buyers had a bad experience. The pen was mentioned by several buyers, as I described: a debacle. Just do a search on Visionaire here on the forum.

On a positive side: many of the disappointed buyers came looking here for help, and are now members.

D.ick

#47 The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:56

Several times people posting in this thread have referred to "the Visionaire debacle" (or used similar phrasing). Since I wasn't on FPN at the time, I'm not aware of what you're referring to. Would someone mind explaining briefly? I'd like to understand the context. I recall a Kickstarter for a Visionaire fountain pen; what turned it into a debacle?

When I first saw the advertising I wasn't impressed as it looks like another no name pen that a plethora of Chinese brands make and thought nothing of it. However I started listening to the pen-addict podcast podcast a few weeks ago and listened to the back cataloge of episodes and heard about it in the episode I have linked below.

http://5by5.tv/penaddict/80

Worth a listen if you are interested.

Edited by The Blue Knight, 29 July 2014 - 12:27.

#48 Namru

Namru

Wet Cake

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:36

That may be so, but we were also right. http://www.fountainp...e-fountain-pen/

#49 Moose22

Moose22

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2014 - 20:01

That may be so, but we were also right. http://www.fountainp...e-fountain-pen/

That is not this.

And a large number of criticisms this time have been targeting things that have nothing to do with it being a kickstarter. As though the complainers think these dudes should design the precise pen that THEY want and if it is not exactly to THEIR specifications than it is horrible and nobody should buy it.

Seriously, you might urge caution at investing in a kickstarter, and maybe discuss the differences between this kickstarter and that one that was bad. That would help people decide if these guys are more honest than the last.  Or maybe if you are interested in design say "Oh, I prefer a cap with a clip for my own pens" or "I like the look but prefer a narrower grip section." Constructive, straight forward discussion. Always remembering that, if it isn't the pen for you for whatever reason, then you are not required to buy it.

But the deluge of negativity and and nitpicky criticisms that hit this thread almost immediately is unwarranted and, frankly, annoying. Seriously, if you are that picky about pens, and know that much about design, then go make the perfect pen. Until you do, I will continue to quote Safire at you because, if I wanted to hear scores of people who never actually produce anything themselves constantly second guessing decisions of those who do, then I'd already have become a football fan.

#50 The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2014 - 20:26

People are discussing it in a completely just manor I don't see the discussion as overly negative, people are just wary from what happened before.

Edited by The Blue Knight, 29 July 2014 - 22:26.

#51 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2014 - 20:27

Okay I couldn't resist - I bought in.  :)

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#52 MrThoth

MrThoth

Rare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2014 - 22:17

Thank you to those of you who clarified the "debacle" matter. ;)

I'm sorry to hear so many of you here have had a negative experience with Kickstarter. From my perspective as someone who's backed well over 100 Kickstarter projects, who's run about half a dozen successful projects (including one that briefly held a "top ten" earnings position in its category), and who's been associated with numerous other projects in various ways, I think it's a fantastic resource. Like any other marketplace online it requires its own approach and some caution on the "buyer's" part, though I have found the results to be well worth that effort.

But all of that has nothing to do with fountain pens, so I'll shut up now. ;) If anyone would like to talk further about Kickstarter in general you're welcome to PM me.

MrThoth

#53 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 1,703 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 22:48

That is not this.

And a large number of criticisms this time have been targeting things that have nothing to do with it being a kickstarter. As though the complainers think these dudes should design the precise pen that THEY want and if it is not exactly to THEIR specifications than it is horrible and nobody should buy it.

Seriously, you might urge caution at investing in a kickstarter, and maybe discuss the differences between this kickstarter and that one that was bad. That would help people decide if these guys are more honest than the last.  Or maybe if you are interested in design say "Oh, I prefer a cap with a clip for my own pens" or "I like the look but prefer a narrower grip section." Constructive, straight forward discussion. Always remembering that, if it isn't the pen for you for whatever reason, then you are not required to buy it.

But the deluge of negativity and and nitpicky criticisms that hit this thread almost immediately is unwarranted and, frankly, annoying. Seriously, if you are that picky about pens, and know that much about design, then go make the perfect pen. Until you do, I will continue to quote Safire at you because, if I wanted to hear scores of people who never actually produce anything themselves constantly second guessing decisions of those who do, then I'd already have become a football fan.

No-one has said this is a horrible pen, or that nobody should buy it. That people are not 'required to buy it' should not bar them for discussing the relative merits of this pen.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : Blu Tack: A Fab Fountain Pen Diagnostic and Servicing Tool

#54 legitimate3

legitimate3

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:42

The creators have done another project before... on 3D-printed dinosaurs. Even though these projects are vastly different I think we understand that a lot of us similarly have hobbies that are unique from each other, but I wonder if these guys do have a passion for fountain pens or are in it for something else. 

#55 Wheatflower

Wheatflower

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:12

The creators have done another project before... on 3D-printed dinosaurs. Even though these projects are vastly different I think we understand that a lot of us similarly have hobbies that are unique from each other, but I wonder if these guys do have a passion for fountain pens or are in it for something else.

Clearly they are planning to use the fortune they will amass from selling fountain pens to support their dinosaur habit.

And honestly, I'd respect that kind of motive.
Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

#56 Wheatflower

Wheatflower

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:12

Weird double posting incident...

Edited by Wheatflower, 30 July 2014 - 03:13.

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

#57 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• 14,567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:18

Clearly they are planning to use the fortune they will amass from selling fountain pens to support their dinosaur habit.

Yes!  Now I'm even gladderer that I backed them!  (gladderer?)

:P

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#58 MrThoth

MrThoth

Rare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:52

Seconded. ;)

It's not uncommon to see someone who's interested in being some sort of "manufacturing entrepreneur" to start with something easy on Kickstarter to learn the ropes, then proceed to more complex projects as they become more confident with the logistics and administrative aspects of manufacturing. That's one reason you see so many wallet projects on Kickstarter -- manufacturing wallets is comparatively easy.

So maybe the dinos were a trial run.

MrThoth

#59 Christi0469

Christi0469

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:19

This pen doesn't exactly inspire me to back the project but on the other hand it doesn't offend my sensibilities. The aesthetic is somewhat appealling but the ridges look uncomfortable to me. If I hanker after a Bock nib I can preopbably find a better pen that uses them. I am suspicious of the "converter flexibility" but kudos to the inventors if they manage to pull it off. As usual I hope for the inventors and investors that the project is a success.

Unfortunately there are some con artists on Kickstarter and some people are justifiably wary of the Kickstarter system, myself included.

#60 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• 14,567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:45

Kickstarter helped give me the start I needed.  My video is embarrassing but I got funded!  :)

https://www.kickstar...n-pens-for-kids