• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MrThoth

• watch_art

• Icywolfe

• Jamerelbe

Yeah, this Kickstarter thing didn't go too well last time.

It doesn't look like the crummy visionaire pen, I'm sure this is far more credible.

Edited by The Blue Knight

I have my doubts about this not being another rebranded chinese pen.

Edited by discopig

Also I just noticed it lists filling mechanism as 3 different types Cartridge, standard Converter (mentioning Parker), Converter Faber Castell. This makes no sense how can it use both.

Edited by The Blue Knight

Hmmm. Compared to the Visionaire this has a better tale. It will have a Bock nib.

I see no clip. Matter of taste, but I need a clip.

It is a very simple design, so easy to turn on a machine.

Aluminium, so it might get sweaty. I don't know how the indentations will feel when you hold it.

The talk about minimalist design etcetera, is sales talk. Every penturner can think of a similar story.

So the bottom line is you pay GBP26 or $45 for an aluminium pen without clip with a Bock nib. Simple standard international C/C.

More expensive than a Lamy All-star.

Good deal???? You decide.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Well they actually know who is making their nibs, which right away puts them ahead of Visionaire. Also, they are filling their sample pen with ink meant for fountain pens. They've had a kickstarter last year that was apparently successful, as I'm not seeing a horde of post-delivery complaints.

That being said, I have no shortage of minimalistic pens so I will probably pass on this one.

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

The devil on my shoulder thinks the pitch spiel is not reflected in the design & options. It's not my bag at all - I feel my creativity would be hindered by a slippery metal section, the cap rolling off the table, and cleaning the cap threads all the time. There is a market for this sort of thing, though.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

It seems they list three filling methods: cartridge, converter straight into the bottle, and converter attached to the section into the bottle. Thats still two: cartridge and converter. its a C/C pen, guys, dont make it into something it isnt.

I'll definitely take a pass. Huge ridges on the section, a cap that is small and will roll around, and heavy machined aluminum. It seems like every few months there is a kickstarter like this for a big hunk of machined aluminum with a nib slapped on the end. How the heck does it take you 6 months to develop that?

VINTAGE PENS FOR SALE! Various brands all restored and ready to go! Check out the pics and let me know if you have any questions.

It seems they list three filling methods: cartridge, converter straight into the bottle, and converter attached to the section into the bottle. Thats still two: cartridge and converter. its a C/C pen, guys, dont make it into something it isnt.

Fill that pen from a bottle, you will likely get ink all over the cap-to-section threads, and consequently ink stained fingers.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Between Worther, Lamy and Diplomat the minimalist pen corner is already covered and between them there are some really nice looking pens so I think I will pass too and save my money up for a Worther Profil and Diplomat Balance as I've been after these two for a while.

This doesn't feel minimalist to me. A big, big pen (nothing slim) and all metal?

That weird gap between the nib and the rest of the body. The threading that high up on the body? One dent, and its bye-bye nib.

Moreover you cannot post the cap. This invites you to write with the pen in its most basic state, unburdened by bulky caps and unsightly clips that are usually found on fountain pens.

Translation: We couldn't be bothered to figure out how to post it.

The lack of clip I guess could be considered minimalist, but again not useful.

If it is minimal, why isn't it an eyedropper?

Minimalist means that a lot of careful thought and planning goes into making a smooth, clean look. It takes a lot of work to hide the details.

This pen seems to be minimalist as in "the minimal amount of work we could do."

This doesn't feel minimalist to me. A big, big pen (nothing slim) and all metal?

That weird gap between the nib and the rest of the body. The threading that high up on the body? One dent, and its bye-bye nib.

That's very minimalist. No band, no contrasting colors, no flashy furniture. Minimalist doesn't mean small and I, for one, applaud that. I don't care for a too-slender pen and I appreciate less flashy styling.

And, if you can dent a metal cap that deeply, that easily, you'll be shattering the plastic cap on a typical pen with the same action.

Translation: We couldn't be bothered to figure out how to post it.

Bull. This is just a design decision. Pure and simple.

I almost NEVER post a pen. Don't like the balance of most pens posted, with the exception of a few that were obviously meant to be written ONLY posted, like the Pilot Petit (and the Prera, for that matter). I have never seen a pen where it's a choice, and both ways work. In my collection, either it feels nice posted, or it works better unposted. Not both.

The lack of clip I guess could be considered minimalist, but again not useful.

Do you EVER carry a fountain pen around in your shirt pocket? Again, in my estimation most clips are only roll-stoppers (since I don't post most of the time) and ornaments to make things prettier. I'm sure SOME people carry a fountain pen in their pockets, but a lot of us never do.

If it is minimal, why isn't it an eyedropper?

Because the styling is what's minimalist.

And also because eyedroppers are a pain in the ass. A converter and cartridge system is modern and you can get ink refills for it anywhere. Eyedroppers are for aficionados, people who want a LOT of ink in their pen, and people who don't mind the extra effort of maintaining them. In my case, I think it is SO much easier to travel with a couple of cartridges to refill a spent pen than to travel with an ink bottle, eyedropper, and all the accompanying hassles of refilling and resealing an eyedropper pen.

Considering that you're railing on these guys for not adding enough features, maybe you can give them a break for accepting converters and cartridges rather than just making it an eyedropper, which is pretty much the least amount of work they could do.

This pen seems to be minimalist as in "the minimal amount of work we could do."

You really have a beef with these guys, don't you?

If you like a pen that posts, or that has a clip, or that doesn't use a converter, then this isn't for you. And that's awesome, because there are as many styles of pen as you can imagine. But just because these guys have a different aesthetic to your own, doesn't mean they are out to make a piece of (bleep). Yet, for some reason, you seem to want to pick them apart for rather ridiculous reasons.

It's a $40 pen made of aluminum with a high-quality modern nib. You like it, you don't, whatever. But it really seems like a pretty good price for a simple pen that is likely to work just fine.

It's not my cup of tea in terms of design, I'm wondering if they're going with a Bock #5 or #6 nib for that pen. Might open up some more options if anyone is really into that raw machined metal look (which there are a number of options out there, just more in the 80$+ range).

And in regards to the Titanium nibs (if they hit their goal)... any real benefits to that?

Also that general grip area seems too uncomfortable to be used on a regular basis for the "writing" experience.

Edited by KBeezie

You really have a beef with these guys, don't you?

If you like a pen that posts, or that has a clip, or that doesn't use a converter, then this isn't for you. And that's awesome, because there are as many styles of pen as you can imagine. But just because these guys have a different aesthetic to your own, doesn't mean they are out to make a piece of (bleep). Yet, for some reason, you seem to want to pick them apart for rather ridiculous reasons.

It's a $40 pen made of aluminum with a high-quality modern nib. You like it, you don't, whatever. But it really seems like a pretty good price for a simple pen that is likely to work just fine.

Though for $40 (of which is only for the early backers, so I'm guessing not the normal selling price) I can think of a few other offerings that are more comfortable to write with in longer sessions and comes with the same Bock nibs.

Edited by KBeezie

Can't post the cap? That's heresy.

Much Love--Virginia

Can't post the cap? That's heresy.

Yea I was thinking the same thing, in which case the cap should least have a clip of some sort so you can put the cap *somewhere* where it's not just going to roll off. Perhaps it needs to be made of thicker aluminum, because you're going to be dropping it often (which begs the question... how sealed is the cap from ink being knocked around, or the converter popping off the nipple).

Edited by KBeezie

I like where the threads are, down the section. But then, why this grip section? Simply? Please, do it! Give me a speak grip section and I might help and buy!

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!