Dating A 51 & An Issue With Gold

dadspens

First question: I bought a Parker 51 Signet ($85, flea market, not bad, huh? right?) but not sure of the date. The date code reads [dot] 9 [dot]. That's either '49 or '59, right? Third quarter, second quarter? The other clues are a chrome plated converter that's starting to flake a little, "Press 6 times", and the mention of Superchrome ink.

Second question: If you can see on the included photo, there's a brownish stain near the bottom of the cap. I'm not sure if this is brassing or if that's a stain that will polish out.

Also, this isn't too clear in the photo, but the clutch has marred the barrel. What can be done about these two issues? Or should I just shut up and stop worrying about it?

post-88270-0-88269900-1406407964_thumb.jpg

Can I borrow your pen?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• Florida Blue

• Runnin_Ute

• dadspens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it's a Signet with a chrome-plated filler sleeve then it's 2nd quarter 1949.

You could try a Sunshine cloth or Simichrome and a felt cloth to clean up the barrel and cap. It's probably just a bit of tarnish.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I think that Florida Blue nailed it. In 1956 the word Superchrome was removed from the filler, making 1955 the last year with that particularly inscription.

That is a very nice find.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I think that Florida Blue nailed it. In 1956 the word Superchrome was removed from the filler, making 1955 the last year with that particularly inscription.

That is a very nice find.

And Parker did not use date codes in 1959 or 1956 or 1955 on the 51 products.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

And Parker did not use date codes in 1959 or 1956 or 1955 on the 51 products.

I learn something new every day here. Thanks, FarmBoy!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Parker51.com has a lot of useful information. It was the first pen information site I found and it helped me greatly to identify the 51s I had as to year or period of production. I think it should be the first place you visit with any question about a Parker 51.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I learn something new every day here. Thanks, FarmBoy!

The date codes for 51s can be a bit tricky. From 1942 to 1949, Parker used the single digit with dot system. From 1950 to 1954, they used two digits and no dots (e.g. 50 for 1950, 51 for 1951 etc.). All of these are imprinted under the clutch ring. From 1955 to the end, no date code at all.

First year pens only have a "1" regardless of what quarter they were made and the date code is usually on the blind cap, but sometimes under the clutch ring.

As Pajaro said, Parker51.com is probably the best web source for info on the 51.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

There are dots on 1st year date codes.

I have no First year pens with a date code on the barrel. Note to readers: I do not have all the First year pens.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Thanks for the replies.

I just ordered a sunshine cloth. Hope it helps that staining and the scratches.

Can I borrow your pen?

There are dots on 1st year date codes.

I have no First year pens with a date code on the barrel. Note to readers: I do not have all the First year pens.

It looks like I'm wrong about the dots, but I've read (in the 51 book) that a few of the 1st years had date codes underneath the clutch ring.

Ernesto writes on his site too that "It should be noted that some examples have been found with the imprint up by the clutch ring, with a date code of "1."

I'm shocked that you don't have all or at least the lion's share of 1st year 51s :lol:

Also, good luck dadspens.

I am not I able to deny having a few 51s. That I don't have a 1 code barrel was not intended to indicate they do not exist. I would qualify them as quite uncommon and not to be expected in your usual travels.

There are also un-date coded pens worthy of mention. These are often found in non-standard colors and often have subtle differences in the machined features. Many of these have come to the community with good provenance and it is recognized that they are what is termed pre-production pens likely produced in late 1940.

Even older date coded pens are known to exist as shop models with the date and shop order number on the barrel. These are extremely rare.

Also noteworthy is Janesville stopped using date codes before Toronto and Newhaven stopped. There is also the T prefix found with 6 and 7 coded pens.

While on date codes, there are patterns that have been observed in certain color/cap/model combinations. There are also the imprints on caps and cap designs that fall into specific the periods.

It is also worth noting some of us have changed our thinking on the date code issues as more data becomes available. One can oddly thank the various online venues for some of the data. BUT if you really want to see the unusual data points that start to link up into trends you go to shows and club meetings.

As theories firm up, I'm confident more details around date codes will come into the light.

Who knew dating could be so complicated. I guess that is why your mother said it isn't polite to ask...

I have two first year 51s, both show PARKER "51" MADE IN U.S.A. 1 on the blind cap. No dot. See page 26 of David and Mark Shepherds' book Parker "51".

Peter

Also noteworthy is Janesville stopped using date codes before Toronto and Newhaven stopped. There is also the T prefix found with 6 and 7 coded pens.

I didn't know that. All of my 51s are of American production, but I do have a "T7" 51 Vac. I'm glad Parker dated their pens since it does make it a bit easier to date and it gives us something to talk about :)

I agree that websites and books can only give you so much information (and sometimes it's inaccurate) and seeing the specimen, whether it be a pen or factory literature, in person is probably the best way to gain new info and prove or disprove theories.

I have been to the Philly show twice, but it doesn't seem to attract the same 51 cognoscenti as the west coast does. Although, I've met some very knowledgable Sheaffer people.

51 people generally hide only sneaking to the floor to buy pens and quickly retreat to the designated hiding spot.

You can attract them by walking around with a handful of 51s. They need not be visible.

Will they fall for the Red Band under the box with the stick and string trap?

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

My only 51 is a Special that was part of a set. No date code on the pen but a 53 on the pencil. So most of my research has been regarding that example specifically.

Brad

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I think you will need a bigger box...

As you leave the box and stick, coat the floor with contact cement as you exit the room.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Maybe if you leave a Sandwich it will work. Either that or an Empire cap :D

Maybe if you leave a Sandwich it will work. Either that or an Empire cap :D

We saw the Empire and Watermelon caps in the parking lot before they came into the soon.

You need to move faster...

Edited by FarmBoy