What Might Be A Good Modern Semi-Flex/soft Nibbed Pen?

Icywolfe

I've recently was eyeing the Namiki Falcon then I realized from those close up videos. The nib is so soft that it bends down on the upstroke. Then I looked at look at the Pilot Justus then I saw people saying it's not worth it. Then now I looked at the Platinum 3776, and I see people say it doesn't flex much. So far I only hear/see people say get the Pilot Custom + FA nib, but I have no clue where to even get that.

So now I'm stuck with the pen choices of 3 pens that almost everyone online told me not to get. Kinda like how the time when I was searching for my General Purpose Pen, my VP. Everyone told me the VP was a waste of money and yet I love it..... II don't do calligraphy (technically I do but that's on my Parallel) but I tend write my bullet points in different style. (When I actually had a unbent Ahab.)* And I do some joy writing here and there to make my school life less boring.

So might be a good semi-flex/soft nibbed pen be? (The Justus needs to have a extremely good reason/plus as it's like 100-200 more than the other 2. ) Less that 300 USD if you know any others. Also it must be good with regular writing which is very off putting for Falcon for me. I see the nib bending on the upstrokes.

No Noodler's I hate realigning the feed after each cleaning.

Worse part is that I have no clue where this thread is supposed to be posted at.

------

*I have 2 pens on my pocket that day my VP + Ahab. And a classmate asked me for a pen, and I tried to tell him to go use another person's pen, but he was adamant to use mine. So I let him use my Ahab. And he broke it.... Nibs are like - after he wrote it was like this L.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• Icywolfe

• tonybelding

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Every flex pen that has a soft nib and easy flex (full flex/wet noodle) will bend the nib on the upstroke, the nib is soft after all. Some very flexible vintage ones are VERY hard to write with because to can damage the nib if you catch on the paper and push too hard.

Pilot Custom with an FA nib is even more flexible than the falcon and will bend down even more.

So what you're looking for is probably not available. The Noodlers Pens and FPR Pens are more like semi-flex, they do flex but with a lot of pressure.

If you want a pretty comfortable usage everyday wet noodle you might want to look into zebra G nibs combined with an Ackerman pen: http://ackermanpens.com or custom grind it down to work with something else, I've got one on my TWSBI, but even tho this is somewhere in-between a semi-flex and wet noodle on the handling (you can very well write with it as a hailing nib) it does bend down on upstrokes too...

post-114183-0-28668300-1405273433_thumb.jpg
Edited by bardiir

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

http://www.fp-ink.info/img/button.pngI'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

Every flex pen that has a soft nib and easy flex (full flex/wet noodle) will bend the nib on the upstroke, the nib is soft after all. Some very flexible vintage ones are VERY hard to write with because to can damage the nib if you catch on the paper and push too hard.

Pilot Custom with an FA nib is even more flexible than the falcon and will bend down even more.

So what you're looking for is probably not available. The Noodlers Pens and FPR Pens are more like semi-flex, they do flex but with a lot of pressure.

If you want a pretty comfortable usage everyday wet noodle you might want to look into zebra G nibs combined with an Ackerman pen: http://ackermanpens.com or custom grind it down to work with something else, I've got one on my TWSBI, but even tho this is somewhere in-between a semi-flex and wet noodle on the handling (you can very well write with it as a hailing nib) it does bend down on upstrokes too...

I have a Deleter dip pen that has monster flex. But I'm looking for something like the ahab without the ahab qualities of adjusting the nib/feed after every cleaning. And possibly smoother nibs I guess you can call it that. (I do not want to touch my pen with fine sand paper it scares me.)

I think I need to change the title name to semi-flex. Because I'm not looking for a wet-noodle.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

Try a Pilot Custom 91 with a "soft" nib. Like a soft-fine or a soft medium or even a soft fine medium. You can find them on ebay for ~$100 new shipped to the US.

Or if you are just looking for that bouncy ride, try a modern Pelikan M205 or M200 - the steel nibs are on the soft side and very bouncy. Not semi-flex per say but bouncy and soft.

Why do you even want a semi-flex nib in college anyway? You're going to have to go vintage if you want a true semi-flex pen - and you won't have reliable or convenient filling mechanisms like the Pilot cartridges/converters or the Pelikan piston.

Just some rambling thoughts that may or may not be helpful....

Semi-flex and "soft" are two different things. Do you not know which you want? What writing qualities are you looking for here? (I personally feel like softness in a nib is a defect, but I know there are some people who like it for some reason.)

I got one of the "Felton" pens from Peyton Street Pens, and I love it. These are new pens made in India from ebonite (i.e. hard rubber), but they have vintage new-old-stock Eversharp flex nibs. The nib I got is very nice indeed: smooth, wet, flexible. It's not the most flexible I've ever seen, but it's great in comparison with most modern nibs.

You can also find some semi-vintage (i.e. 1970s-80s) Sheaffer Imperials which tend to have moderately flexible, very smooth and high-quality 14K nibs. (The steel nibs on Imperials are also excellent, but much firmer than the gold ones.)

The Lamy 2000 that I got surprised me with a moderately flexible nib. Well... Even though it was a new pen, it's a design from the 1960s. I guess Lamy still makes 'em like they used to.

EDIT: Almost forgot about this: http://www.isellpens.com/Hero_395_Hammered_Copper_p/h_395_hamcop.htm

They are cheap and reputedly less hassle than Noodler's flex pens.

Edited by tonybelding

As far as modern semi-flex/soft nibs go, I am a huge fan of the Pilot Falcons. Some may call it soft, but I think it definitely qualifies as semi-flex, although it's far from a flex pen.

If you're just looking for cheap modern flex, you should probably go with a Noodler's pen, FPR pen or similar.

If you want the absolute most line variation from a modern pen that doesn't need weight training to be able to flex it and don't mind having to tweak the feed a bit, I think you might be happy with one of Pilot's pens that offer the FA nib (742, 743, 812, 923).

Edited by discopig

Hopefully still available. From the classifieds: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/28734-pilot-heritage-912/

Edited by playtime

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

What I think you are after is semi-flex....and that is mostly in vintage.

A Pelikan 140 (mid-50's-65) or Geha 790 ('60-65?) is semi-flex. They have good plastic gaskets, I have 2 140's and 3 Geha 790's.

Three rings of the 790....there is a 2 ring pen too. The School pen with no rings is not the one you want, in the nibs can be nice true regular flex, or even more than semi-flex....but mostly regular flex.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a nice Geha school pen it is = to teh Pelikan school pen of that era the 120.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/B6FmHUwBWkKGrHqEOKiMEyVVGG6IBMwIK6RCg_12-1.jpg

The shape is the torpedo shape of the '50's. The next is a picture of a rare '59 Geha 790 with the true three rings. It cleaned up better than the picture. Sigh, I don't do pictures much.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/img8413e.jpg

It is a sturdy first classed pen, that normally needs no restoration.

On German ebay the prices of pens have jumped 1/3 in the last year and a half.

The Pelikan 140 with luck can be had from €50, but mostly are now going for €70-90.

the Geha 790 which was €20-25 is now 30-35.

I am quite happy with my three 790's. And my two 140's.

If you want , if you find a Geha 790 on German ebay, I'll look to see if they take Paypal....many Germans don't use it, in they don't have credit cards but have bank cards....and use Cheap EU bank wire instead of checks.

Bank wire from the states costs $35...so you need those who have Pay Pal.

Some refuse to ship outside of Germany....but will if asked.

Need to know that before the last second single bid.

A Falcon is a "springy" nib, tine bend but little tine spread 2 X a light down stroke.

Semi-flex is very nice has 3X a light down stroke at 1/2 the pressure needed to do that than regular flex.

Do read my signature.

I have 26 or is it 27 semi-flex by now.

It took me quite a while to stop looking down my nose at nice vintage regular flex, but I have. So if you decide to go a bit cheaper the Geha school pen can be had if you look for €12. It is a 'true' regular flex...I call them 'true' in many modern pens no longer offer regular flex, but sell semi-nails instead.

There are those who offer a buy now or starting bid of 19, which is too much for a Geha school pen.

There are German Pirates in US water selling Geha School pens for $89 Buy Now....so I do recommend looking in German Ebay.

Rick Propas of Penquin sells 140's, one of mine a 'rarer' black one is from him. His pens are in tip top shape...so you do have to pay for that.

Yes, these two models of vintage pens, are robust, solid well made, should last another generation or two...with out restoration.

Mine will out last me....unless they get a good cheap immortality pill.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The issue is stores lists those 3 pens on top as Soft then I watch/see reviews on other site that call the flex and see them interchange words. I'm utterly confused what to call them. The only I can call them is Ahab like, with 14k gold.

Main thing I want is like a pre-boxed smooth enough nib that has enough line variation like a Ahab.

#Nope

Main thing I want is like a pre-boxed smooth enough nib that has enough line variation like a Ahab.

It's right here --> http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/zayante-pens/psp-felton-ebonite-fountain-pen-ink-tank-filler-14k-eversharp-nibs-new-nos-4831.html

The pen itself is nothing special, but the nib is about the best you're gonna find anywhere. (At least, if yours is like the one I got!)

It's right here --> http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/zayante-pens/psp-felton-ebonite-fountain-pen-ink-tank-filler-14k-eversharp-nibs-new-nos-4831.html

The pen itself is nothing special, but the nib is about the best you're gonna find anywhere. (At least, if yours is like the one I got!)

Can it fit a converter?

Also I never seen that brand before.

#Nope

For normal everyday writing I prefer my Platinum Century 3776 with the Soft Fine over that of my Pilot Falcon with the Soft Fine. Also Platinum's Fine is smaller than Pilot's so it appears more like an extra-fine. For me the Platinum's Soft Fine feels more controlled and consistent when normally writing, and I can give some line variation, but not *quite* loosely as with the Falcon. I also find the Falcon to be quite a bit wetter than the Century 3776 so for me that's also another issue.

Course one thing to bear in mind is that I haven't worked the flex on either pen all that much lately, and I know that with both pens they "loosen" up a bit after a few weeks of actively utilizing the flex/softness to them. But simply put, out of the two I find my 3776 with a Soft Fine to be much more practical, but I wish it had the body/feel of the Falcon (ie: if I could swap the nib on them, I'd be a happy camper with the way the resin falcon's body feels).

PS: I got my Platinum Century 3776 with a Soft Fine for under $100 shipped from Japan via this store ( 細軟 being the 'Soft Fine' ). http://item.rakuten.co.jp/bunkidou-shop/pnb-10000/ (PS: A converter isn't included, but you can add it for about 500 yen or roughly $5)

You can see the slight difference between the 3776 and Falcon here with both Soft Fine nibs with my own general writing on notebook paper.
http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/inked_july18_2014.jpg (as well as how wet the Falcon is, though Apache Sunset is doing well in the Falcon now, just not a pratical daily-use color in my opinion)

Edited by KBeezie

Goulet says that the Platinum Cool has a somewhat surprising soft nib. And it is comparitively cheap.

It may be worth checking out.

Edited by hot cocoa

Goulet says that the Platinum Cool has a somewhat surprising soft nib. And it is comparitively cheap.

It may be worth checking out.

But for the price I'd get a PTL-5000 which has a 14K nib with a tiny bit of softness to it as opposed to a steel nib. (Since it's roughly the same price).

Or you can wait for one of these to go on auction, and try to keep it under 70$ in bidding since that is a PTL-5000 that's been painted. (the price for a plain one is around 50-80 depending on the country, sbrebrown got his in UK for around 50 pounds from CultPens, roughly 80 USD). I got mine for ~$53 shipped (give or take a dollar I can't remember exactly).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wancher-Limited-URUSHI-MAKIE-Kaki-Persimmons-Fruit-GOLD-14k-EF-FOUNTAIN-PEN-/380960113283

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/wancher_makie/tsutsuji.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

But for the price I'd get a PTL-5000 which has a 14K nib with a tiny bit of softness to it as opposed to a steel nib. (Since it's roughly the same price).

Or you can wait for one of these to go on auction, and try to keep it under 70$ in bidding since that is a PTL-5000 that's been painted. (the price for a plain one is around 50-80 depending on the country, sbrebrown got his in UK for around 50 pounds from CultPens, roughly 80 USD). I got mine for ~$53 shipped (give or take a dollar I can't remember exactly).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wancher-Limited-URUSHI-MAKIE-Kaki-Persimmons-Fruit-GOLD-14k-EF-FOUNTAIN-PEN-/380960113283

Ugh.... is there a non ebay site? Ebay trolls me every time I buy another from there. The seller always wants me to jump through hoops to get the the thing I bought.

The last thing I bought from eBay was watch and the seller wanted me jump through like 5 different hoops. So do you personally know this seller?

Also from the picture I don't see that much a difference in the lines compared to the Falcon or the Ahab. It seems much like the brand new Creeper I got today.

#Nope

Ugh.... is there a non ebay site? Ebay trolls me every time I buy another from there. The seller always wants me to jump through hoops to get the the thing I bought.

The last thing I bought from eBay was watch and the seller wanted me jump through like 5 different hoops. So do you personally know this seller?

Also from the picture I don't see that much a difference in the lines compared to the Falcon or the Ahab. It seems much like the brand new Creeper I got today.

Softer feel, and I doubt a creeper is quite as fine as the small end of a Japanese Extra-Fine. (noting the write samples here: http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/inked_july18_2014.jpg )

Far as non-ebay. The shop that does the maki-e work (that tangerine one specifically is the PTL-5000 but for non-auction approach they want $500 for it). http://www.engeika.com/, I don't "PERSONALLY" know the seller as in person, but I've won a few auctions from them, and no hoops were involved, just paid, get it shipped, done.

Alternatively there's Rakuten which you can get either the black or the red one http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/hunnyhunt/item/platinum-ptl-5000a_fp/

But they currently appear to be sold out.

Otherwise the Platinum Century 3776 in Black with choice of super fine (UEF), extra fine, soft fine, B/BB etc, for around 90 USD shipped (and their shipping when I got mine from them was around 3 days transit.) The main issue is the Japanese language, if you get the invoice in Japanese just reply back in english and they'll have a staff memeber walking you thru in English. Mainly they just need to know what description you want for the item on the customs form.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bunkidou-shop/item/pnb-10000/

Edited by KBeezie

Can it fit a converter?

Also I never seen that brand before.

Nope. It's strictly an eyedropper filling pen. They include an eyedropper with the pen that will work, but a syringe is even better.

And the "brand" is Peyton Street Pens. They supply the nibs, and their "partner in India" (Ranga, I assume) makes the pens. Peyton Street have been selling NOS (new old stock) Sheaffers and Parkers for years, and have also collaborated with Bexley. I got one of their hybrid pens with a body and cap made by Bexley and a NOS Sheaffer Imperial nib unit, and it's outstanding.

You will find cool stuff if you scout out the smaller shops. Another example are the Gate City pens that Richard Binder sells through his website. If you limit yourself to "big name" brands found in the glossy catalogs, you can miss out on a lot. For another thing, you'll often get better personal service from these small vendors than from the giant faceless international corporations, IMHO.