Twsbi 580

Xircuits

So my TWSBI 580 has rolled off the table twice in a hectic theatre week and now this happens. I'm thinking some super glue will fix this? I really love this pen. It's my favorite out of all the TWSBI pens. The 540 I bought cracked and crumbled to pieces, so when the company fixed that, I was really happy. If this doesn't work, then I'll have to get another one.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this. It looks like it friction fits in. Sorry for the photo quality.

http://i.imgur.com/fbkEkiv.jpg

Thanks for the help. :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Xircuits

• Jamerelbe

• OakIris

• kidde

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't tell. But I am positive that if you contact TWSBI they will take care of you. I have a Vac 700 and no problems. I bought it because I know TWSBI will fix any problems I have. I can think of no one in recent history who embodies Customer Service as well as they do. An email can't hurt.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

It's not a flaw on their part. I think it came apart because it's rolled off the table twice. But I will email them and see. Thank you.

Comparing your picture with my TWSBI 580, I'd say the thread from the feed housing has snapped off inside the body of the pen - if you compare your photo with mine (see below), you should be able to see the difference. Hopefully the black plastic 'thread' portion can be unscrewed from the body of the pen with a little bit of care - and a new nib and feed housing installed. I doubt very much you can successfully glue the part back together - but you won't know if you don't try!

I think it's worth contacting TWSBI, even though this is a result of 'user error' - they've helped me out a couple of times when they were under no obligation to. Failing that, you can buy a replacement "nib unit" (including the broken part) for $20 (normal nib) or $23 (stub nib), plus postage. Not cheap, but it's better than replacing the whole pen (assuming there are no other cracks or breaks!) - and you get an additional nib (maybe in another size?) into the bargain...

Picture of pen:

http://i.imgur.com/TZ0I6lN.jpg

I think you may be right. It does look like the threading snapped off. I noticed when I looked into the barrel, it doesn't have a small 'D' like shape. I will go home and see if I can unscrew the broken bit. If I can do that, I definitely will buy a few different nib sizes. Woohoo!! The photo comparisons really helped! Thanks!

It sounds as if you want/need to have an excuse to buy a few different sized nibs - quite understandable to me :D - so perhaps you will just buy the nib sets themselves, but if you like the nib that is on it now, and it is just the housing that is damaged, you can ask TWSBI for a new feed housing for the 580 and just install your nib and feed in it when it arrives. :) (And you can still buy some 'extra' nib sets that have the other nib sizes you would like, right?!?)

Holly

Edited by OakIris

Great news! I did speak with Philip Wang at TWSBI and he was quick with a response and a solution. As soon as I saw what had happened in the photos here on the forum, I knew exactly what I needed to do. I grabbed some needle nose pliers and stuck it in the broken threaded hole and unscrewed that broken piece. It came out really easily. I'm going to be buying up all sorts of nib sets and stuff now.

I really need to commend the company on the fast email response --I think I had a reply in less than 1 hour. Amazing by today's standards. This forum is so awesome for also the fast and friendly response. Thanks all!

Great news! I did speak with Philip Wang at TWSBI and he was quick with a response and a solution. As soon as I saw what had happened in the photos here on the forum, I knew exactly what I needed to do. I grabbed some needle nose pliers and stuck it in the broken threaded hole and unscrewed that broken piece. It came out really easily. I'm going to be buying up all sorts of nib sets and stuff now.

I really need to commend the company on the fast email response --I think I had a reply in less than 1 hour. Amazing by today's standards. This forum is so awesome for also the fast and friendly response. Thanks all!

Good to hear - I've found him very responsive the two times I had a problem with my TWSBIs (once self-inflicted, once a warranty issue). Hope your 580 is back up and running in no time!