Looking To Buy My First Japanese Fp

Albinoni

Ok some confusion here, is it true if I want a medium nib equivalent to that of a European or USA fountain pen that I need to choose a bold in the Japanese one, please correct me here if i am wrong.

It's not always necessary. It also depends on the American or European medium nib you are used to. Montblanc for instance is often broader.

Pilot makes the piston-filled Custom Heritage 92. It's a little smaller than the 146 though. The Pilot Custom 823 is a vacuum filler which isn't the same thing, but it holds a lot of ink. It's comparable in thickness to the 146. As far as I can tell, Platinum doesn't make any piston filled pens.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• Albinoni

• Dillo

• tarheel1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the only piston filler options you have are Pilot and Sailor

Pilot's CH 92 (Its a demonstrator but doesnt have soft nib offerings) it dimension is the same as CH91

Realo in Profit or Professional gear and sigma (has all Sailor nib offerings if your willing to wait and has the money)

Let's try not to use so many abbreviations. They can prove to be very confusing to people who aren't as familiar with the pens as we are.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I am seriously leaning towards a sailor professional gear realo piston filler fountain pen, not sure whether to go for black or the maroon red one.

I think this pen is a fraction shorter than the 1911 C/C one but bit more fatter and holds more ink.

I really like the look of this pen and it's nib.

Someone may have already said this, so sorry if I'm repeating: If you go on the nibs.com web site and look at the tipping size you can find the Japanese nib that corresponds to European nib measurement that you like.

For example, I absolutely love the Pelikan 600 with a medium nib and wet ink flow. So for my Nakaya (basically a Platinum nib), I chose a BB nib and asked John Mottishaw to do a customized grind to make it similar to a Pelikan medium nib (.6) with 8/10 flow. The result is a pen that is like a better version of a Pelikan medium (slightly crisper with more personality) than my Pelikan medium. It is a sort of Japanese version of my Pelikan. They are both incredibly wonderful writers.

Katherine

Edited by LuckyKate

Someone may have already said this, so sorry if I'm repeating: If you go on the nibs.com web site and look at the tipping size you can find the Japanese nib that corresponds to European nib measurement that you like.

For example, I absolutely love the Pelikan 600 with a medium nib and wet ink flow. So for my Nakaya (basically a Platinum nib), I chose a BB nib and asked John Mottishaw to do a customized grind to make it similar to a Pelikan medium nib (.6) with 8/10 flow. The result is a pen that is like a better version of a Pelikan medium (slightly crisper with more personality) than my Pelikan medium. It is a sort of Japanese version of my Pelikan. They are both incredibly wonderful writers.

Katherine

Hello Katherine I do have quite a few Pelikans myself from a few M200's, M215, 400nn, M600 and a 1997 M800. NOw I will admit that most PElikans are wet writers even my M200's and my M600 as well and I also think that this has to do with the ink your using as well. Now re the SAilor PRo GEar Realo I am actually planning to get it off EBay way cheaper than getting from my local pen shop here in PErth, Australia. I priced a SAilor pro Gear here in a local pen shop and the piston filler Rome was around $865.00 and this was not the REalo either, but the 1911 Pro Gear piston filler. I have priced the Pro GEar REalo on EBay and from Japan plus free shipping for around $284 including the free shipping. NOw re the nib sized I can choose either FIne, Medium or Bold. ALthough I was told and read the Japanese nibs are quite different to that of US/EUropean ones. SO if one wants a medium equivalent of that to a US or EUropean fountain pen, than choose a BOld nib in the JApanese one, although I would not know what a actual medium nib in a Sallow would write like.

The Pilot soft nibbed pens can write like a one size larger pen. I think this is because they are designed for a touch more ink flow. My SM Falcon writes too wide for me while my stiff nibbed Pilots write a finer line.

Is your 91 F or SF? There is always a bit of variability due to ink and paper of course. I would not venture to deny your personal experience, but my Pilot fine nibs are pretty fine. I would say on par with a Pelikan E/F. I have a modern Lamy medium here somewhere around Chez Scribbles. I will have to compare them.

Is your 91 F or SF? There is always a bit of variability due to ink and paper of course. I would not venture to deny your personal experience, but my Pilot fine nibs are pretty fine. I would say on par with a Pelikan E/F. I have a modern Lamy medium here somewhere around Chez Scribbles. I will have to compare them.

if you saw my review to my Custom Heritage 91 it's a story on it's own how I got to write with 3 pens... I bought my brother his Custom Heritage 91 in SF (It's not being used I don't know why) mine is SM but I also wrote with an F

Ok some confusion here, is it true if I want a medium nib equivalent to that of a European or USA fountain pen that I need to choose a bold in the Japanese one, please correct me here if i am wrong.

I think if you want something like a European medium, which tends to be wider than a US medium, you'd definitely want a B Japanese nib. A Japanese M is more like a medium-fine in US nibs, depends on the manufacturer. Pilot, Platinum, or Sailor - lots of choices there. They all have pens that are similar to the shape and size of an MB 146.

It's not always necessary. It also depends on the American or European medium nib you are used to. Montblanc for instance is often broader.

Pilot makes the piston-filled Custom Heritage 92. It's a little smaller than the 146 though. The Pilot Custom 823 is a vacuum filler which isn't the same thing, but it holds a lot of ink. It's comparable in thickness to the 146. As far as I can tell, Platinum doesn't make any piston filled pens.

Dillon

Ditto Dillo. :-) A Pilot Custom 823 is great and it's vast ink chamber really holds a lot of ink. It's also a sizable pen. TWSBI's Vac 700 is similar.

Edited by wikeh2004