Looking To Buy My First Japanese Fp

Albinoni

I am looking into getting my first Japanese fountain pen say within 2 to 3 months but not sure what to get.

I dont want to spend a big amount of dollars say price range between $200 to $350 around there.

Also something that is more medium size say the size of a MB146 or Pelikan M600 either steel or gold nib is fine with me.

Would prefer a medium nib as in medium to that of a European or US fountain pen.

Some help and advice would be appreciated.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• Albinoni

• Dillo

• maverink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Size of a mb 146 you are looking at a Sailor 1911 large, platinum president, pilot 912, 742, 7r3, and 823. Sailor are knows for nib quality.

WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

Size of a mb 146 you are looking at a Sailor 1911 large, platinum president, pilot 912, 742, 7r3, and 823. Sailor are knows for nib quality.

Thank you for that, how big is the Sailor Pro Gear btw

Pro gear is a little shorter than a 146 or large 1911 due to the shape. It's about the size of a 912 and close to a m800

WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

Check the Pilot 912 from Japanese sellers, won't cost you more than $200 including shipping, there's a good selection of nibs including regular M or SM (Softer tactile feeling M) plus some specialties. Come with a converter (CON-70) that holds lots of ink. A solid workhorse. Looks contemporary due to flat ends and rhodium trim.

try demoing a pilot ch91/912 or platinum 3776 century red or chartres blue SF 14k gold nib s

for steel nib try pilot metropolitian nothing beats it at that price point.

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Hi,

I really like the Sailor Pro Gear and Pilot Custom. You would probably want at least a medium nib on both. It's a little something different, but how about the Pilot Capless? It's such a convenient pen, and I use them every day.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

pilot capless is not for all i would suggest you take a trial before commiting to buy it online.

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

CH91 if you like a more "basic" feel of a CH912 this is if you like the modern look of the pen else there's the Custom 74 and Custom 742 (which has the torpedo shape) they relatively fall under your budget OR... Pilot Celemo or Platinum standard PTL-5000 which is about 40 USD (but they are on the thin side), but again what do you want in a nib soft? hard

Just to remind on the pen selection IT HAS TO BE AT LEAST IN THE SAME DIMENSIONS OF A MB146 or a Pelikan M800 but not necessarily the form factor (Capless is out of this equation) huh...

CH 92, CH91, CH912, C74, C742, C823, C743 (if you like bigger nibs), Justus 95 from pilot some of the pens stated here arent sold in the US so direct buying from Japan will be the only option

Platinum 3776 President, 3776 President Yellow trim, Briar, Celluloid they maybe more expensive in the U that directly straight from japan

Sailor Professional Gear Standard or Slim, Profit Standard or Slim, large could be an option but not sure about this

Edited by Algester

Ok some confusion here, is it true if I want a medium nib equivalent to that of a European or USA fountain pen that I need to choose a bold in the Japanese one, please correct me here if i am wrong.

just some pictures

From top to Bottom, MB146, Sailor 1911L, Sailor Pro Gear, Platinum President, Platinum 3776 Century, Pilot Custom Heritage 91.

post-106631-0-00405500-1406261895_thumb.jpg

post-106631-0-72862400-1406261898_thumb.jpg

post-106631-0-57380000-1406261903_thumb.jpg

I am now probably leaning towards a piston filler Japanese fountain pen but its not a must have but preferably to go for a piston filler.

Probably a Sailor Pro Gear Realo in red/maroon this is the one with the flat top and not the dome top with the ink window and a piston filler.

My other question here does both Platinum and Pilot make piston filler pens.

the only piston filler options you have are Pilot and Sailor

Pilot's CH 92 (Its a demonstrator but doesnt have soft nib offerings) it dimension is the same as CH91

Realo in Profit or Professional gear and sigma (has all Sailor nib offerings if your willing to wait and has the money)

Edited by Algester