Inky T O D - Anyone Ever Dump Ink And Reload?

DaveBj

The thread on "sympathy ink" got me wondering -- do any of y'all ever dump ink from a pen, flush, and reload, just to get a different color? If you do, do you dump it down the drain, or back into the bottle for reuse?

As for me, my experience with different colors of ink is only a few months old, and I haven't done that. I usually have a couple pens uninked at any given time, and if I were to need a specific color, I would just ink one of them. Maybe it's my "don't-waste-a-thing" Norwegian upbringing, but I can't see wasting even the milliliter of ink in a converter.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DaveBj

• amberleadavis

• ac12

• NevynM

-- do any of y'all ever dump ink from a pen, flush, and reload, just to get a different color?

I use it as an excuse for buying a new pen.... :P

Rarely, and when I do, it goes down the drain. I don't want paper fibers or other contaminants in my ink bottle. It is always much less than one millilitre of ink, so I don't worry about it. Often, I will use the last bit of ink for some practice, or a grocery list, a bit of doodling.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

sure. i dump ink back into the bottle if i think it's clean and safe. if not then i just dump it down the drain, rather than wait until i use it up. time's more valuable than ink ;)

Check out my blog and my pens

I've dumped ink in the past during the phase when I was trying out lots if inks and pens. After I found the ink and pen I like ( parker 51/sailor sei boku) I just refill my pen with it whenever I like, sure some goes back into the bottle during the refill, but I don't worry about it, and this way, with one pen and one ink, I rarely get clogs and I hardly waste ink at all. The only time I waste any ink nowadays is when I am doing a maintenance flush once every few months. Since I flush only when the pen runs dry, that hardly wastes ink either.

I do dump ink back into bottle if I want to change color and flush all ink contact parts in sink.

Haven't caused clogs this way I know of.

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Yes, guilty. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I really want to use a particular pen but with a different ink than it is filled with. I prefer not to return ink to the bottle, so it usually gets flushed down the sink drain. Yes, it is wasteful so I avoid doing it.

Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

Dumped an entire bottle of Perle Noire down the drain.

Used to do that when I buy new pens, I ink them and they just sit around unused, all ink goes back in the bottle (Waterman Mysterious Blue).

Now I just reload when it's empty, same ink over and over again, I guess laziness forced me to do that, so I don't have to flush my pens as often!

Careful when buying a bird.. you'll end up with a flock before you know it.

I haven't dumped to get a new color, though that's the natural outcome of refilling a pen. No, my reason is usually that the ink is behaving poorly in whatever pen and I still fancy using it, so I dump the ink in it (in the sink) and refill.

I'm currently working through a set of ink samples that will go back into the ink exchange, so when I get bored of them, I'm putting back in the sample, and flushing for something new. Some have lasted a week or so, some a few hours. ;)

Pens: LAMY Safari Medium Nib with Delta Blue in converter, Bright Yellow LAMY Safari Fine Nib with R&K Helianthus in converter and a Baoer 051 with Deep Dark Purple in, you guessed it, a converter...

What a timely topic. Somehow I managed to load three or four pens with reds and pinks and I'm tired of the color. In the past, when I loaded a color and didn't like it, I put it back in the bottle, not liking to waste it. If it was nearly at the end of it, on the other hand, down the drain it went. I did not think about adding bad things to a bottle. I suspect that pouring it down the drain would be the better choice.

I don't normally do this, unless there's a problem or an overriding need or powerful desire to change inks. To me, this is a waste of ink.

I do not put the ink back in the bottle. That probably comes from teaching Chemistry. To me, once it's out, it's contaminated. Instead, the ink goes down the sink.

By the way: I will dump a sample down the sink if I don't like it and haven't used it up. This is what samples are for.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Yes, I have done it. I dump the ink down the drain.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

Yeah, I'll dump ink. It goes down the drain and never back into the bottle.

I usually only partially load my journaling pen so I don't waste ink down the drain. I can get bored with a color after about a half dozen pages.

I rarely dump, as I have a dip pen for testing and many "idle" pens when I want a change of color. When I do dump it goes down the sink, as I have an abundance of ink.

Now that living with a septic system have taken a different look on the drain. Live in a sensitive area with clam, crab, salmon and sea creatures just couple hundred feet from my drain field. I'll be eating those fish soon. Same can be said for those drinking from and dumping to a river. Treatment plants do not remove everything.

I do not have an answer to any of this, but I'm more mindful of what is put down the sink.

Perhaps where I do end up tossing stuff maybe no better than the drain, but am trying to find the least harmful place.

I'm in the same camp with SallyLyn! Technically, in the US it is illegal to dump "hazardous materials" down the drain. Now, many of us don't think of ink as a hazardous material, but it is. With all the anti bacterial stuff they put into different inks the EPA classifies it as such. So, please, try to limit your dumping of inks for environmental reasons.

Besides, anyone who would dump a bottle of ink has to be a little on the kookoo side. Share that bottle you are no longer interested in using. There are a lot of people on this site who would willingly take it off your hands. Either sample it out to others or give the bottle to someone who hasn't tried it or wants to use it. Ask for the cost of shipping to send it to someone, or bite the bullet and don't ask for $ Just don't dump it. There's always someone who may want it. Then if it doesn't go, Just put the whole bottle in the trash, it will get chemically treated (neutralized) in the land fill.

By the above statements, I think you have guessed, I'M A PUT IT BACK IN THE BOTTLE PERSON. If I want to change color, but mostly I just get another pen and load it in. I like colorful writing.

Edited for spelling and grammar.

Edited by FPFan

Fair winds and following seas.

I dump my ink into an ink vial, to use to refill another pen with that ink.

I also transfer ink from the bottle to the ink vial to use to load my pens.

BUT, depending on the pen, it can still have a HUGE amount of ink still ink the ink reservoir in the feed/collector of the pen. I emptied, and am now trying to write a Parker 51 dry. I've been writing for a couple of days in my journal, and the pen is still writing well. Rather frustrating when I want to change inks, and not waste the ink in the pen. I've only flushed an inked pen a couple of times, where I was frustrated and just wanted the ink OUT of the pen. Otherwise I try to write the pen dry, to maximize my use of the ink in the pen. Yeah, I'm cheap.

BTW, 1ml is a LOT of ink. I think that is enough to fill a converter full. When I was doing ink testing in my Lamy joy, I would put 0.25ml into the converter, and that would about fill the reservoir of the feed.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I've dumped it back into the bottle lots of times. The only times I have sent it down the drain is when I have mixed two bottles because they were both nearly empty and the results were gross.

I have 4 pens and a lot more ink. I like to change ink a lot so I dump it. If I remember what it is and it's not been in the pen too long I put it back in the bottle. If not down the drain.

WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.