Should I Add A Twsbi To My Collection

Albinoni

TWSBI a pen that you love or hate, I have been thinking of buying one directly off TWSBI (the 580 Diamond Rose Gold/Medium Nib) but still not sure or confused whether I should or not.

I know and have read some users here have been having problems with theirs and again some users have been extremely happy with theirs as well, so really are they that bad or are they actually a very nice fountain pen to have and use.

So what is your verdict, go for a TWSBI and give it a go or leave it and dont buy one.

Thanks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Albinoni

• Jamerelbe

• Fabienne

• Mister Mont Blanc

I would go for it. I have $1000 pens, but I also have several TWSBI's including a great Micarta that I just got a couple of weeks ago. They are wonderful pens that I use a lot.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I had a mini for a while...I noticed over time that I never really reached for it. So it gets a solid "meh," from me. I didn't love it. I didn't hate it (mine had no technical issues). I sold it after a while.

"Wer schweigt, stimmt zu."

I have 8 TWSBI's. I like them a lot. I've had some minor problems with a couple. Not a big deal all taken in stride. I use mine more than any other pen except my Lamy 2000.

Get one and if you don't use it or like it off it on someone else.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I once had a 580 Diamond fountainpen,I prefer its design to writing experience.

Anyway,if you don't have experienced this brand,not bad to have a try.

I have several and they are reliable writers. I really appreciate being able to dissassemble and reassemble them. I learned a lot about piston pen anatomy during this process. TWBSI customer service is excellent if you run into difficulties.

I like the Micarta, otherwise not a fan of them. We did get in for the very first pen and it was fun going through the process. My initial nib was marginal. I replaced it with a 1.1 stub which is OK.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

My personal experience is not so good because the fine nib in my TWSBI 580 was very very scratch. I polished it and now it is very smooth, but writes like a medium nib. From where I live, I could not use the TWBSI customer service, so I was by myself.

For what I know, the cracking issues were solved. The remain problem I guess is the quality control for the nibs.

And off course, there are some design that you like or hate (the 580 can not be posted, the grip section can spin :wallbash: ?!).

There are some unique positive aspects that you only find on a TWSBI pen, like the ability to disasembly your pen, with a tool that come together with the pen, a piston felling system in such a range price, etc.

If you can easely reach the TWBSI customer service, I would give it a try.

Nowadays I like quite a lot my TWSBI 580, even after so much troube.

Only reason I haven't added a TWSBI to my collection is because their nibs run a bit large for my taste, I seem to favor western fine and smaller (such as a typical western fine, which Lamy and TWSBI are bigger than).

If I was big into demonstrators I'd probably be more apt to get one.

I read a great deal about the TWSBI fountain pens during the time they were being designed. FPN members had a good deal of input on the design of the TWSBI. Eventually I had to buy one. I got the TWSBI Diamond 530 amber demonstrator with an extra fine nib. I haven't had a moments trouble with it. It has performed great right out of the box and worked its way into my normal rotation with my Esterbrook Js. In fact I use it more than any non-Esterbrook fountain pen. Yes, I use Noodler's Old Manhattan Black ink in it without any staining problems or clogging problems. This is the only TWSBI I own, but from my experience with it I feel confident in recommending the TWSBI fountain pens to anyone.

I hope this helps.

-David.

Edited by estie1948

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

I'm crazy about TWSBI pens, I own a Vac 700 with a medium nib and I just bought a 580AL with a fine nib (will have to place an order for bigger nibs as I usually don't like nibs smaller than M). The pictures really don't do the pens justice, while they look flimsy in photographs, they are very sturdy in hand. The design aspect will be pretty subjective but I love their designs as well. And the fact that they give you the tools to disassemble the pen is a very huge plus from me.

The writing performance (at least for my Vac 700) is definitely the best I have enjoyed. I have some very great writers and it can't compete with those. (Pelikan M1000 with a medium that writes like firehose B, Lamy 2000 with a medium nib that is dreamy and a stunning Sailor Professional Gear Imperial Black with a firm medium nib) But it is a very reliable writer and quite satisfying to use.

All that, coupled with the price, makes TWSBI products a no-brainer for me. I think you should give them a try.

I have always had a love exclusively for the Montblanc brand. After owning multiple ball points and roller balls, I finally purchased my first fountain pen and have sold off all of my non-fountain pens. I also fell in love with the idea of a demonstrator although the MB ones aren't so pretty and quite rare/expensive. So I figured for $55 I would give one a try, it's nice that you can buy multiple nibs for one pen, instead of buying multiple Montblancs! The only reason I chose this pen though was to try a lesser-priced demonstrator and to try a 1.5mm stub to see if I like the line variation. I'll try to remember to report back here when it arrives within the next week!

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

Indubitably! You simply can not call yourself a fountain pen lover unless you have at least one TWSBI. I love mine. I have had issues and they have all been fixed perfectly.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Indubitably! You simply can not call yourself a fountain pen lover unless you have at least one TWSBI. I love mine. I have had issues and they have all been fixed perfectly.

:P or there just has been other fountain pens you love to spend money on :P but you still love em.

Edited by KBeezie

I own two TWSBIs and am happy with them. One is a vac filler that I'm willing to take out anywhere. The other is a 540 and serves as my Baystate Blue pen.

The question would be what role the pen would play in your collection that the existing pens do not. If it doesn't have a role, save your money.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Reporting back after having the TWSBI Diamond 580 for a few days now. I absolutely love it. I regret buying this particular one now as there is an aluminum version which looks much nicer and soon to be colored versions. So I guess I'll just have to buy those too!

I desire a thicker pen but this one isn't too small. Not really feasible to post unfortunately. The 1.5mm stub nib is crazy. I wish Montblanc sold something like this! But the piston is great, the quality is nice for the price, and being able to disassemble and lubricate the pen is wonderful! They provide you with a piston wrench and even silicone grease. I'm planning on buying a few others with 1.1mm or more 1.5mm nibs to have different inks in them. I got a sample of Diamine Bilberry and it is just so delicious with that fat nib!

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

In a word, yes! And regradless of what others say, the TWSBI EF is a true Asian EF! It even has some character quite like an italic. I own three Mini's, keep them in three colour inks. Awesome little pens, indeed.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

Yes. If you can afford it, go for it: such quality for such price? Yes, definitely.

Issues with the nib, the section, the posting, the rubber rings...? Of course, all pen models from all brands have some issues once and again, no matter if the pen costs 50, 500 or 5000 bucks. But any issue has a solution, so all pens from all brands have their lovers and haters. So the possible issues are not a factor for a purchase, that´s why there is a market for fountain pens.

plumista

TWSBI is a good company, with good customer relations.

The 580 is not terribly expensive. I think it is $65. If you hate it, you can resell for $40. Your "risk exposure" is modest.

But, what if you like it very, very, very much ? This is to fear. How many can you afford to buy ?

I read about the TWSBI Diamond 530 here. When the 540 was released, I got one. Liked it . Liked it a lot. Mom asked

what the name meant. I wrote to Taipei and asked. I received a typed reply letter, with the Chinese name in beautiful,

handwritten calligraphy, so Mom could translate for herself. "We hope your mother will honor us by accepting a complimentary

pen." :drool: A week later, Mom receive a TWSBI Diamond 540 fine nib, with a braided, red tassel tied to it. . :thumbup:

I suppose that I have no opinion. :wub:

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !