Variance Among Twsbi Mini <F> Nibs?

AlejoPlay

I just got a new TWSBI F nib from the Goulets and put it in one of my two Minis as I loved the <F> nib I put on my other Mini last year (purchased direct from TWSBI via Amazon). One is inked with Tsuki-Yo and the other with Sailor Jentle Blue but the Tsuki-Yo writes exactly like the <M> nib I wanted to replace. Not only that but the tipping on the second <F> nib is larger than the one on the first one I got. Is this sort of variance normal? I wanted something that wrote the nice fine line the first <F> nib I got wrote (which looks a lot like the F writing sample on the Goulets site).

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlejoPlay

• KBeezie

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried swapping the nib between the two, to see if both write like a Medium when using Tsuki-yo ?

The more accurate test would be to use the same ink and paper with both nibs.

(It's been my experience that TWSBI runs on the fat side, so I don't see them doing much in the 'nice fine line' department, for that I tend to go more towards the Japanese brands).

It is possible for one nib's tipping to have been made larger from the manufacturing process (with almost any brand I'd imagine), so if the new Fine nib is not to your liking, contact Goulet, they can do an exchange for you. If you can physically see the tipping size difference, take a picture of it and attach it to the email when you contact them.

The worst case scenario is that your first Fine nib was the fluke, and was made smaller than they normally do.

Edited by KBeezie

I changed the inks and put something drier in it. It still writes a little broader than I like, but the dry ink helps me control the pen more and it gives the nib some voice. I'll give it a day and see how I like it.

I changed the inks and put something drier in it. It still writes a little broader than I like, but the dry ink helps me control the pen more and it gives the nib some voice. I'll give it a day and see how I like it.

Cool, I'm interested to hear bout how you like it in the end. I thought bout getting a TWSBI, but I'm still on the fence, but I like the idea of something under 100 that has a very large ink capacity, and isn't a Noodler's pen. (thinking of either a 580 or Vac700). But like yourself I would probably get a "Fine" nib if I want something a little larger than what I have.

By the way, how reliable has your Minis been for you?

I have two Minis and they are great. The F I have on my Mini Classic is the perfect line width. I also had a Vac, which I never liked because I like to post, but the JoWo nib on that was wonderful.

I have two Minis and they are great. The F I have on my Mini Classic is the perfect line width. I also had a Vac, which I never liked because I like to post, but the JoWo nib on that was wonderful.

I may have to consider one of the larger ones, seeing as I have a couple #6 nibs I could use which probably give me a finer line than TWSBI would offer (ie: putting either my Monteverde Fine or Goulet Extra-Fine onto one).

Goulet offered to replace my nib with an XF. Looking online, I saw way too much variance with writing samples done with the F but much more consistency with the XF. I am starting to think I just prefer toothier XF nibs for my writing. Broader and smoother and I feel like I'm slipping and sliding all over the place.

Goulet offered to replace my nib with an XF. Looking online, I saw way too much variance with writing samples done with the F but much more consistency with the XF. I am starting to think I just prefer toothier XF nibs for my writing. Broader and smoother and I feel like I'm slipping and sliding all over the place.

Yea that's why I didn't go for brands like TWSBI and Lamy since as I was getting into it all, those were continually on the 'fat' side of a western standard. Western fine typically being the largest I would be comfortable with (Monteverde, Jowo, Goulet etc, since a Lamy would be fatter than a western).

I also noticed a lot of the vintage fines tend to be finer than modern ones.