51 Italic Nib?

Derivativemusic

The search function didn't work, so apologies if I'm being redundant.

I'd like to find an italic or stub nib - something like that. Where would I look and what should I expect to pay?

TIA

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• DrRoger

• daffie

• cellmatrix

Top Posters In This Topic

I found one on ebay, but you have to pay a lot more than you would for an ordinary 51. They are pretty scarce.

Have one of the nibmeisters cut one for you. I have a 51 with a Pendalton Brown stub for sale on the classifieds(sorry for the shameless plug) but I have nibs from Richard Binder and John Mottishaw. And realistically one if their custom nibs will be better than anything the factory ever ground.

........I have nibs from Richard Binder and John Mottishaw. And realistically one if their custom nibs will be better than anything the factory ever ground.

Not sure I'd agree. My P51 with factory cursive italic nib is an absolute dream and arguably better than my Binder nib, and at least equal to my PB stub.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I found one on ebay, but you have to pay a lot more than you would for an ordinary 51. They are pretty scarce.

^^^ That there, what Mardi said. They don't come up so often on Fleabay and When they do, and When the pics are clear enough for such a nib to be clearly identified as such, or "worse" yet, the seller is a pen person who clearly identifies it as such, the SWARM of bidders on it is pretty swift and severe.

1-Have one of the nibmeisters cut one for you. I have a 51 with a Pendalton Brown stub for sale on the classifieds(sorry for the shameless plug) but I have nibs from Richard Binder and John Mottishaw.

2-And realistically one if their custom nibs will be better than anything the factory ever ground.

1-I agree especially if you are realistic in realizing that a Stub or CI ground from say a regular U.S. or better yet a UK Medium will be wide Enough for you.

2-Maybe, but Just Maybe.

Not sure I'd agree. My P51 with factory cursive italic nib is an absolute dream and arguably better than my Binder nib, and at least equal to my PB stub.

She speaketh the truth. She has posted a writing sample from it and I've seen a longer writing sample from it and it's pretty sweet. Not to mention she nuclearly Sumgaled it. She got the 51 with a Brit Sterling cap And that factory nib for about what the Postage would be to send a pen in to be ground...

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I got a P51 with a broad stub in a trade. It was supposed to be a factory stub. I thought it would be neat to have one that was factory. An expert examined it and said it was a Minuskin stub. I was disappointed it wasn't factory, but it does write exceptionally well, and writes like a CI nib upside down. Ironically I didn't care what it wrote like, I had just thought having one from the factory would make a nice collectible. The 51 Vac it came in croaked, so I put it in a midnight blue aerometric 51. It's about 1.2 mm. My taste in these nibs makes this the bullseye, about as much flair as I can stand. The Minuskin stub is an outstanding nib, and you see them for sale from time to time, often wider than mine.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have the opportunity to buy a Stub or Italic 51 nib for 55 Euros?

Is that a good deal?

Yeah.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Both.

Any pen (especially a vintage or classic pen) with a nib outside the range of F to B is going to bring a premium price. I have been fortunate enough to pick up two such pens (a Duofold and a Vacumatic) both of which I was somehow able to slip in under the radar, not exactly sumgai, but both very nice deals. A stub or CI nib on a P-51 seems doubly hard to come by. Contrary to a previous statement, both of these pens are fantastic writers. My guess is that when somone comes across one of these old nibs they appreciate it for what it is and tend to treat it right.

I bought a NOS P-45 a year or more ago with a B nib. It wrote like a smooshed felt pen. I put it in the box and forgot about it. Every couple months I'd take it out and ink it, and then remember that this was a device with no soul. Then on a whim I sent it to Danny Fudge for a stub grind. My thinking was that I didn't have much into it and as I was not using it, I didn't have much to lose.

I should have done that a long time ago; for a very reasonable fee (and quick turnaround) that pen was converted to something that I am have trouble taking out of the rotation. Right in there with my fancy Pelikans and that Vacumatic with the very expensive retip from John Motishaw.

I thnk I paid about $30 or $35 for the pen and about $25 for the grind.

I'm newish to FP's so consider the source.

Never had the opportunity to try a factory model, but I would highly recommend a stubbed Parker 51 from Greg Minuskin. He does nib retipping, so you can choose almost any sized stub you could want. My biggest and smoothest writing stub is on a green aerometric 51 that I bought from him a couple of years ago.

I bought a NOS P-45 a year or more ago with a B nib. It wrote like a smooshed felt pen. I put it in the box and forgot about it. Every couple months I'd take it out and ink it, and then remember that this was a device with no soul. Then on a whim I sent it to Danny Fudge for a stub grind. My thinking was that I didn't have much into it and as I was not using it, I didn't have much to lose.

I thnk I paid about $30 or $35 for the pen and about $25 for the grind.

I'm newish to FP's so consider the source.

You paid $10-15 MORE than the price of the Whole pen Just to have it's nib ground, what? are you CRAZY?!

2012-04-23_16-26-10_516.jpg

DSC00432.JPG

I guess if you Are Crazy, that makes at least Two us! :lticaptd: I may be a bit Crazier that you though, I have 2 More 45's with nibs

that have been ground that I don't have handwriting samples of yet.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Well, ...I like FP's, and I like 'interestng' nibs, ... I thought 'crazy' was the ticket to get in the door? I won't tell you what I paid for each of the two (three?) big fat nibbed P-51's I bought from Mr Minuskin before we had something of a falling out.

I recently had Mr. Masuyama grind two nibs for my most expensive Pelikans (Originals of Their Times) ....oh boy, those nibs set a new standard for me.

I hope my wife will agree...

Yes, that's kind of a lot. Maybe, if you have to make a choice, the italic. If it's a sharp italic ans not a cursive italic with a rounder edge, you might be better off with a stub. The price sounds like a bargain, but there are always things that limit spending, like common sense and other needs.

You paid $10-15 MORE than the price of the Whole pen Just to have it's nib ground, what? are you CRAZY?!

2012-04-23_16-26-10_516.jpg

DSC00432.JPG

I guess if you Are Crazy, that makes at least Two us! :lticaptd: I may be a bit Crazier that you though, I have 2 More 45's with nibs

that have been ground that I don't have handwriting samples of yet.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I had often thought of having something ground to a CI, like a Pelikan BB nib to a CI. Somewhere I have a pen with a medium CI. I am one of those with less finer sensitivity and more need for something that hits you right in the face, like a 1.1 or 1.2 mm stub or CI. Maybe it's my reduced vision that makes a blur of finer nibs. This made me fill my P51 Minuskin stub pen. I hate this, but it is better than my Montblanc broad stub. GAH. I think the Minuskin stubs cost something like $100, but that might be out of touch with the market. The Mohnblah cost $100 in a parts pen plus the $130 for the pen it's in. So, your stubs and CIs are a bargain. The Minuskin 51 writes pretty nicely, though, on the bottom and top of the nib.

DSC00432.JPG

That Red Arrow is on my hit list. I am planning a stealth mission to Fl to liberate it back to the UK :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

May I recommend the Pen Museum for italic and stub nib P51s. I bought a couple from Mr Twydle over time and they're a joy to write with. Currently there are some translucent pens as well as other colours. The last I bought was UK £100 excluding postage but to me they're worth it. Usual disclaimer and caveats apply. R.