A Vanishing Point Stub From Binder: What Grade Should I Get?

lurcho

It's an extraordinary, and infuriating, fact that most fountain pens cost more in Britain than in America. It is almost always true to say that the dollar price translates numerically into the sterling price from most sellers. I.e., a $150 pen costs £150.

Despite the £:$ exchange rate's being, as I type (with one weary, calloused, but super-skilled finger) 1.7.

So, since my sister's son is spending two months in one of our favourite ex-colonies in the autumn, I'm going to ask dear Richard to send a spcialty nib to one of the addresses that Gareth will be staying at.

You Yanks have no idea how lucky you are. The standard VP nib units are half the price that they are in Britain. Even a stubbed nib from Binder will cost about two-thirds of the standard nib in Britain.

So, given this limited opportunity to evade customs, please share your experiences of Richard's stub grinds for the Vanishing Point. (Medium-ish.)

Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lurcho

• reicel

• Tojusi

• dspeers58

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a medium that Richard ground to a cursive italic. I have had it for about 6 weeks and it is my favorite nib. I keep looking for reasons to pick up my pen and write. It has enough line variation for practicing my Italic hand but is narrow enough to use for writing anything.

I bought my VP with a fine and then got the medium nib planning to swap them when I wanted to use a different one. I found I didn't like the medium as well so I took it to a show and had him do the grind. Then I had to buy another body because I wanted to use them both...

I'm thinking about getting a third and having it ground also. I may have a problem.

If you already have a Vanishing Point or a pen like the Lamy Safari which forces the tripod grip, then take a look at how you actually hold the pen.

I tend to rotate the pen to the left, so that the clip don't bothers me. And there's also a slight rotation of the nib unit inside the VP (don't know if that's true for all VPs, but mine is rotated clockwise, when viewing it from the front). So, when holding it in a way which's comfortable for me, I miss the sweet spot....

So, next VP nib will be an oblige... probably a 0.9 cursive italic.

Edited by Gaslight

What a strange world we live in, where people communicate by text more than ever before, yet the art of proper handwriting is seen as a thing from the past.

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

I have a medium that Richard ground to a cursive italic. I have had it for about 6 weeks and it is my favorite nib. I keep looking for reasons to pick up my pen and write. It has enough line variation for practicing my Italic hand but is narrow enough to use for writing anything.

Do you have / did Richard provide you with further information on the measurements of that nib? What I mean is, when he starts with a Medium VP nib and grinds it into a cursive italic, would that be approx. 0.7mm cursive italic or what?

Richard's grinds are very good! I too have a .6 mm stub ground by Richard for my VP. It is my work pen. It is excellent!

Do you have / did Richard provide you with further information on the measurements of that nib? What I mean is, when he starts with a Medium VP nib and grinds it into a cursive italic, would that be approx. 0.7mm cursive italic or what?

I don't have any measurement info but I have another nib that is supposed to be a 0.9mm and the VP is just a hair narrower.

I have two VPs and both have left oblique cursive italic nibs by Richard Binder. One is .75mm and the other is 1.0mm. Both were ground from broad nibs.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

I've just received a Richard Binder 0.9mm Cursive Italic ItaliFine nib for my Pilot VP and it is one amazing nib. It should not be so smooth while having as much line variation as it does. Pretty amazing work. I'm pretty happy with the 0.9mm size too, it's big but not too big.

Edited by discopig

Thanks, all, for your advice and comments.

Didn't like to say, but I think I favour the 0.6.