Need Help With Pink Inks

anubisnut

I've been debating between which pink I would like to purchase a bottle of: Sailor Jentle Peach or J.Herbin Bouquet D'Antan.

I'm completely stuck now. All the pictures of the inks are seperate reivews or stock company color photos. What I need now is a side by side comparison; if anyone can point me to a photo that has a side by side on this forum that I completely missed or a super description of their impression of both ink I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for the help in advance everyone!

~anu

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TeaHive

• anubisnut

• amberleadavis

• Tessy Moon

You could use the comparison tools from the pen companies:

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/inkchooser.php

http://www.gouletpens.com/Interactive_Swab_Shop_s/813.htm

Goulet hasn't got sailor but the writing desk has both in their comparison:

Sailor

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/ink_cat/sa_peche.jpg

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/ink_cat/herbin_faded.jpg

Herbin

But be careful of color configuration of your monitor and the swabs, while those two in comparison might be true about the differences as they are from the same source, the real color is probably different still. Here is the Herbin swab from Goulet, quite a different color:

http://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/swabshop/codes/IS-H130-64.jpg

And to make things worse, here are the swabs from jetpens.com where the difference is reverted as far as lightness goes, probably due to a different paper/swab method:

http://static.jetpens.com/images/a/000/051/51674.jpghttp://static.jetpens.com/images/a/000/051/51816.jpg

Edited by bardiir

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

http://www.fp-ink.info/img/button.pngI'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

You could use the comparison tools from the pen companies:

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/inkchooser.php

http://www.gouletpens.com/Interactive_Swab_Shop_s/813.htm

Goulet hasn't got sailor but the writing desk has both in their comparison:

Sailor

Herbin

But be careful of color configuration of your monitor and the swabs, while those two in comparison might be true about the differences as they are from the same source, the real color is probably different still. Here is the Herbin swab from Goulet, quite a different color:

And to make things worse, here are the swabs from jetpens.com where the difference is reverted as far as lightness goes, probably due to a different paper/swab method:

I didn't check the Writing Desk ink comparison. That's quite helpful. Thanks bardiir!

I'm looking more to write with these inks and I thought they were the same color. But clearly one is more peachy than the other.

~anu

Honestly.. your choice of inks are too light to be actually usable for writing.

If Pink is what you want, they are more stronger and vivid pinks (Ex. Diamine Hope, Diamine Cerise). If you rather prefer a more "subdue" pink, you can choose a more saturated one like Noodlers Shah's Rose or PR Arabian Rose.

Have a look at them...

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Sailor Jentle Peche is being discontinued so you may not want to fall in love with an ink that will not be available long-term.

And as Cyber6 said above, it is so light as to be unusable for writing.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Remember that swabs will not give you a true indication of color when coming out of a pen (look at the writing samples above the swabs instead).

And another nice ink to have a look at is De Atramentis Apple Blossom -- it's a very nice medium pink which is very legible; like most of the D'A inks I've tried, it's fairly wet, so it has a good flow.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I just got the Sailor Jentle Peach, and it's a bit light. While I personally won't be using it for writing, just art.. I can see it being comfortably legible in an extra-fine nib.

I do have a mini bottle of the Bouquet d'Antan coming in the mail, so when it does arrive, I can post a side-by-side if you like!

Yeah I understand the pinks I've chosen are light but its not like I'm writing an official document or some research paper with it. Think adding flare and color. Plus the darker brighter pinks give me a headache when it's a full page of that intense color. I thank everyone for their concern but some thing subdued works for me.

I'll definitely check out all the suggests everyone has made and am happy to be introduced to other inks I've never considered, however, my pocketbook might take a hit if I end up loving a new ink or two :)

~anu

I just got the Sailor Jentle Peach, and it's a bit light. While I personally won't be using it for writing, just art.. I can see it being comfortably legible in an extra-fine nib.

I do have a mini bottle of the Bouquet d'Antan coming in the mail, so when it does arrive, I can post a side-by-side if you like!

Yes please!! That would be very helpful! Thank you teahive!

~anu

Yes please!! That would be very helpful! Thank you teahive!

Glad to help! I understand that's what this forum is for! B) I'm pretty excited to see how they compare in person as well. Along with the J. Herbin Rouille d'Anchre, which is coming with the d'Antan. SHARE ALL THE INKS!

Remember that swabs will not give you a true indication of color when coming out of a pen (look at the writing samples above the swabs instead).

And another nice ink to have a look at is De Atramentis Apple Blossom -- it's a very nice medium pink which is very legible; like most of the D'A inks I've tried, it's fairly wet, so it has a good flow.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

The difference between swabs and the line from a pen - and that it mattered if it was an italic/snub wide or narrow nib - was something that took me a long time to recognize. I would order ink and then be very disappointed with how light it was to write with. Also the wet or dryness of the ink and the pen made a difference in color.

I have Toucan Magenta and it is a lovely light pink, very pleasing.

The difference between swabs and the line from a pen - and that it mattered if it was an italic/snub wide or narrow nib - was something that took me a long time to recognize. I would order ink and then be very disappointed with how light it was to write with. Also the wet or dryness of the ink and the pen made a difference in color.

I have Toucan Magenta and it is a lovely light pink, very pleasing.

Toucan Magenta is an excellent example of a nice subdue pink.. that can be usable for writing.

Honestly.. I will get a headache if I see a whole page written with an ink so light I need to guess every second word.. But, to each its own. :P

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I just did a test page for the Sailor Peach, and I realize I was using entirely the wrong pen for it (well, not really.. I'm using the Pilot Petit 3 for art, though you can write with it.) I used a couple different dip pen nibs, one a calligraphy nib (Leonardt Round in size 1 1/2), and the other a Brause 361 Steno "Blue Pumpkin." The latter is classified as a fine, but it's finer than most of my fine-nib fountain pens. It also has some flex, so I got thin and thick lines.

Anyway, the Sailor Peach is perfectly legible, to my eye. It's a soft, muted, almost rosy peach. It looks way different with a writing/drawing nib versus a brush nib. The brush nib makes it much lighter and washed-out.

My Bouquet D'Antan SHOULD arrive tomorrow (unless USPS decides to be lazy), so I'll be able to post pictures of the two together then!

How about Toucan Magenta? I am sure someone around here has enough to send a sample.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Pink/slides/Toucan_Magenta.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Some manufacturers are very optimistic with their ink denominations. Just look at the Blue Blacks of which many are actually light green.... Or maybe at some point in history these inks were what their label said, but subsequently many generations of MBAs "enhanced" the formula with more water and got bonuses for such astuteness....

I have a bottle of Bouquet D'Anatan and love it. It is, in my opinion, a perfect "ballet pink." It is difficult to read on bright white paper in a fine nib. This isn't a problem for me though because I use it in a 1.1 or 1.5 Goulet stub nib. I like the watery pink using the stub nib in an Ahab because the Ahab is a wet writer and the pink is more easy to read. I find that color papers are better for the delicate light pink ink; Rhodia Ivory is good, but my favorite is G Lalo Verge De France Rose. The pink ink on the delicate pink rose paper is absolutely lovely! I also scent my pink letters with rose oil to add that extra special touch. :)

Bouquet D'Antan is truly a pastel light pink, there is no peach whatsoever.

I have not tried Sailor Gentle Peach, as I wanted a real "ballerina" light pink, not a peachy pink.

I also like and recommend Monteverde Pink as a nice light pink as well.

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

Alas, USPS didn't deliver my ink today. *shakes a fist* And tracking information doesn't yield any answers other than it shipped on the 21st, and was expected to arrive today. Grr. How dare they get in the way of sharing information!

I feel like a jinxed it with my previous post. Oops.

I would say that without question the best pink is . . . . oops, not my department.

I would say that without question the best pink is . . . . oops, not my department.

Whenever I think of pink ink ... I think of you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY