Good, Tough, Cheap Pen

william2001

Let me start by telling you that I am a teenager who goes to middle school.

This means that all of my fountain pens I am carrying will be thrown everywhere, crushed between walls, dropped, and so on.

I used to write with my Parker Sonnet at school, since that is the cheapest pen I have.

However, yesterday, I dropped my pen at school and the cap almost broke.

I am afraid that my fountain pen is going to break soon.

Although Parker Sonnet is one of the cheaper fountain pens, I am 13 years old and $100 is a lot of money to me.

Is there any cheap (less than $100), but well performing pen I can bring to school?

Thank you in advance.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• The Blue Knight

• Namru

• william2001

There's lots. Depends how ugly youwant to go. 1st Generation Sheaffer NoNonsense pens are cheap, tough and write great. but they look like student pens.

Get yourself a Parker 51 and you'll have a great pen (maybe the greatest) for life.

I am thinking a Waterman Phileas might be a good choice but even though they are out of production the ones for sale from private owners and vendors now cost more than the orignal new ones. However, you can still get the Kulter model pretty cheap and it is very much like the Phileas. Another inexpensive pen you might think about is the that you can pick up is some of the Monteverde models. I highly recommend that whatever fountain pen that you decide to carry that you get some some protection for it such as a leather pen case.

A Parker 45 might fit the bill, they're pretty durable and can be readily purchased secondhand for $15-20. This is usually my pen of choice to take into the field for work.

I went through my entire school career with a Parker Vector.

You might also look at some of the lower cost Pilots.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Kaigelu 356 are inexpensive enough that you could have more than one (www.isellpens.com no affiliation.) Also check some of the Pilot pens such as Metropolitan or 78G, etc.) Do an FPN search for threads with the word "shootout."

Toughest inexpensive pen is the Kaweco Sport, hands down. It's very short and needs to be posted to write well for most people, no biggie if you usually post your pen anyway. It's about $25, but you need to buy the clip separately for a few dollars more. Here's a pic of my daily carry showing many years of shirt pocket wear:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/nihontochicken/IMG_0227_zps9e468b85.jpg

Many younger types carry these in their pants pockets along with their spare change and whatnot. A really bullet-proof pen, I expect many will be dug up a few million years from now as the only trace of our civilization. :lol:

Nihonto Chicken

Two of my graduate students picked up Pilot Metropolitans during the $10 Staples sale. they love those pens as much as some of their more expensive numbers.

One of my other students got a Lamy Safari, which is the often recommended hard-working pen. Maybe not the most attractive number, but it will handle most middle school sensibilities. When my student's first Lamy was lost/stolen, he was inconsolable until we got him a new one at a pen show.

There is also the Platinum Plaisir, also at Goulet; no affiliation, but I was on their web site earlier today - http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_Plaisir_s/880.htm. One of my students has a couple of these, and seems very happy with it. She has a fine nib, which I personally think needs a bit of adjusting, but overall a good pen.

Monteverde has some good stock in this price range; nibs like nails, and sometimes hard starters, but once they get going they will be fine.

Retro 51 has some FPs; no affiliation to this shop other than I was on their site today and saw them - http://www.penplace.com/Retro-1951-Tornado-Fountain-Pens-s/1974.htm

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I would be going for 1 or more ultra-cheap chinese pens like the Kaigelu 356 or Jinhao X-750.

Do a quick eBay search. They are typically in the $5 range with free postage.

You need to be prepared for loss as well as damage.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

The Kaweco AL Sport is nice if you'd like a tough pocket pen. It's pricey though. The Classic Sport is about $50 less if you want to try it out first. The Pilot Metropolitan is made of brass and it's only $15. The Lamy Safari is tough plastic, but you have to like the styling. The Sonnet is a pretty conservative looking pen.

Here are a couple of links to roundups of student pens with even more possibilities.

http://www.wellappointeddesk.com/2013/04/ask-the-desk-the-great-beginner-fountain-pen-debate/

http://www.inknouveau.com/2013/08/fp101-fountain-pens-for-students.html

Good luck!

I have a pair of Parker Frontiers (now discontinued, but still relatively easy to find for $20-40 depending on colour) that have lasted me through college. Sure, it's a little different than high school life, but the stainless steel models have held up to multiple droppings (with cap on anyway) and are fairly decent writers as long as you clean them often and use them daily when they're inked.

A LAMY of pretty much any sort is a no brainer as well if you can stand the look. Sure they're ugly, but I don't think I've ever heard of a more reliable pen outside of the not-exactly-cheap Parker 51. My Vista has never really dried out and it's extra-fine nib ensures a clean line on non-fountain pen friendly paper.

My final recommendation would be a NOS Sheaffer quasi-Imperial 330 or 440 from Peyton Street Pens (no affiliation). They are reasonably priced, and once I changed to a modern piston convertor, mine is brilliant. The fine is easily as thin as a modern extra fine and it's light, tossable, and if it gets ruined, not really a huge loss like your Sonnet would be.

Of course, all the other recommendations you've received are excellent as well, but you can be assured that these three have stood up to daily abuse. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Spend 40 bucks on a 15-pack of Hero 612s. Great pens, nice colors and I really like the size for a pen to post.

Geeez, a Sonnet is NOT a cheap pen.

There are a LOT of pens cheaper than a Sonnet.

Here is my list of new pens:

- Baoer 388, 7 for $24. (includes converter, and shipping to you...such a deal) The 388 is a close copy of the Sonnet, so you should feel comfortable with it. But 4 of 5 of the 388s that I tested needed to have the nib adjusted for better ink flow. Buy the 7-pack and you have 6 spares.

- Pilot 78G, ~$12 (includes converter)

- Pilot Metropolitan ~$15 (includes converter)

- Lamy Safari, ~$35 (does not included converter) The plastic body should handle rough treatment better than the painted metal body pens.

- Parker IM, ~$20-25. (does not include converter) This pen is a bit heavy at 30g

- Sheaffer 100. ~$45. (includes converter) This pen is a bit heavy at 31g

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Geeez, a Sonnet is NOT a cheap pen.

There are a LOT of pens cheaper than a Sonnet.

Here is my list of new pens:

- Baoer 388, 7 for $24. (includes converter, and shipping to you...such a deal) The 388 is a close copy of the Sonnet, so you should feel comfortable with it. But 4 of 5 of the 388s that I tested needed to have the nib adjusted for better ink flow. Buy the 7-pack and you have 6 spares.

- Pilot 78G, ~$12 (includes converter)

- Pilot Metropolitan ~$15 (includes converter)

- Lamy Safari, ~$35 (does not included converter) The plastic body should handle rough treatment better than the painted metal body pens.

- Parker IM, ~$20-25. (does not include converter) This pen is a bit heavy at 30g

- Sheaffer 100. ~$45. (includes converter) This pen is a bit heavy at 31g

Not too crazy about Baoer (though Jinhao 599[metal version], X450, X750, 159 I find decent for under $10).

Have both the 78G and Metropolitan and really like both of them, I prefer the metropolitan out of the two with it's metal cap and body.

In the vintage department there's also the Polite Elite pocket pen that speerbob calls the "Big Cap" with a metal cap that covers most of the body when capped, and a steel extra-fine nib (with has a tiny bit of flex to it). Not bad price at $22 ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/371037824996 ).

I prefer my Pilot Elite Mini with the 18K Soft Fine Nib from the same 70s era, which I got for about $10 more, but that's not a typical price for that one.

I thought about getting the Kaweco, but I prefer a finer nib.

Edited by KBeezie

Let me start by telling you that I am a teenager who goes to middle school.

This means that all of my fountain pens I am carrying will be thrown everywhere, crushed between walls, dropped, and so on.

I used to write with my Parker Sonnet at school, since that is the cheapest pen I have.

However, yesterday, I dropped my pen at school and the cap almost broke.

I am afraid that my fountain pen is going to break soon.

Although Parker Sonnet is one of the cheaper fountain pens, I am 13 years old and $100 is a lot of money to me.

Is there any cheap (less than $100), but well performing pen I can bring to school?

Thank you in advance.

-William S. Park

Look at the Parker Frontier, cheaper than the sonnet, but a nice reliable writer.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

For super cheap go with hero 340 - metal cap, metal body but still very light.

if you have a bit more to spend I agree with hari317 parker frontier - unless your sonnet is gold nibbed, it should have pretty similar feeling.

if you have about 30-50 dlr to spend i suggest sheaffer fashion - believe me this will be one of your best buy below $100. One of my favourite - dunno why its not popular but it writes like a dream and the cost is very very reasonable for the quality.

going higher I would go with cross century - some vendor should sell them less than 100 - another of my favourite.

I Just remember a thing, if u decide to buy a lamy safari, try jinhao 599 first. You may not like the triangular section. You can get this for $3 or less if you are patient enough bidding on ebay. I think it is worth it to spend $3 (about a bottle of coke i believe) to try this.

Frontier stainless steel flighter model is pretty cheap and is rugged. They are making them in India now. I got one for about $20, UK made, and $15 India made. Both are as good.

Waterman Phileas and Kultur are great pens.

Sheaffer Prelude is pretty good.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

$100 is a lot of money. Period!

Full metal Chinese pen with some micro-mesh to smooth up the nib. See if you can get one with an 'iridium' tip.

The Kaweco Sport makes sense also.

A pen case, even make your self one for your belt, that way it can't be sat on, can't get tossed. I had a job where I needed to get at my 'carpet' knife or ball point pen, rapidly and often.

I had a shoe repair man make a double pouch that I slipped on my belt.

A 'fast draw' holster for your pen. :P The pouch will last a decade or six.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

$100 is a lot of money. Period!

Full metal Chinese pen with some micro-mesh to smooth up the nib. See if you can get one with an 'iridium' tip.

The Kaweco Sport makes sense also.

I've had some pretty good success smoothing down some of the Jinhao nibs (ie: from the X450, X750, 159, and even the metal 599). Can probably even go a step further with some mylar paper after getting it smoothed out with micro-mesh. Personally I prefer replacing the nib all together (and smoothing that a little if I need), but that could easily double the price of the pen.

A pen case, even make your self one for your belt, that way it can't be sat on, can't get tossed. I had a job where I needed to get at my 'carpet' knife or ball point pen, rapidly and often.

I had a shoe repair man make a double pouch that I slipped on my belt.

A 'fast draw' holster for your pen. :P The pouch will last a decade or six.

You know if there was a very cheap capless pen that sounds like a really cool idea, wouldn't even have to uncap, just whip it out. But I guess if you are going to use a cheap chinese pen (I'd recommend something like the Jinhao 599 int he metal cap/body for this), you could probably rig it so that the cap is part of the 'pouch' so you just need to pull the pen right out while the cap stays securely on the waist.