On Sumgai's And Karma

Hooker56

I had to get up early yesterday to take my daughter to her driving class and noticed an estate sale about two blocks from my home. I dropped my daughter and circled back to see if they had any fountain pens.

After listening for a moment, I determined that the lady running the sale was the daughter of the deceased homeowner. We are both north of 50, but not yet retirement age, so I turned on my usual charm and chatted for a moment about the neighborhood, blah, blah, blah. Finally asked her if she had any FP’s and she said, ‘Oh, you mean the old ones that you fill from a bottle? Here’s a whole box. You can have them.’

I opened the Waterman’s clamshell box and expected 3rd tier plastic, but what I saw were two Sheaffer sets (one appeared to have come apart at the center ring), what I thought was an old 3060 rapidograph, and a desk pen. They were covered with a fair amount of ‘drawer patina.’ I quickly shut the box as she told me that none of them worked and to just take them. I told her that I’d give her $10 for the box and she declined again so I found an old PowrKraft Bench vise for $5 and gave her $10 and walked away.

I got home and looked more closely. There was a Sheaffer Burgundy Statesman Pen/Pencil set. Dirty, but cleaned up to be an 8 out of 10 set. A Maroon Striated Balance 1250 set with a broad Triumph nib (Vac-fil that I have to repair, but it polished up beautifully. What I thought was Koh-i-noor at a glance was a Black 1946 Standard Maxima. The gold was so black from desk gradoo that I didn’t realize it had a capband. It cleaned up beautifully as well…absolutely NO brassing and incredible barrel clarity and imprint. There was also a black 21 desk pen that looks like NOS. the filler and nib look like they’ve never touched ink.

What a Sumgai!

As I was cleaning and gloating I noticed that the Burgundy Statesman set was personalized and guilt started to work on me…I started to worry about Pen Karma and how easy it is sometimes to overlook small details and overpay, etc. So I resacced the set, polished it up, inked the pen, put the burgundy set back in the Waterman’s box and drove back over the sale house.

Long story longer, I presented her with her Dad’s personalized set and she couldn’t believe they were the same pen/pencil that she had given me earlier. She cried as she told me that fountain pens were all that her father ever used and how every time she saw one it reminded her of him. I showed her how to fill and maintain it and she promised me that she will happily use it. In short she was overjoyed to understand how to keep her father’s memory closer to her!

She also shared with me that she had a lot more FP’s of his at her house that she had put away and that she will call me and give them to me when she gets the other stuff settled because she wants someone to have them that will appreciate them like her father did.

WOW! Karma restored… I went to church this morning with a clear conscience (and a smile on my face). ;)

It was a good Saturday!

Clayton

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hooker56

• JotterAddict62

• pajaro

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well you had me fooled.

Given the sumgai gloating that often goes on here, you really set me up for the sucker punch.

This was the right thing to do.

You can go out with a lot of pens and an evil reputation, having taken advantage of a lot of people. Or you can have a lot of pens and leave a lot of happy people behind.

You da man! Thanks for sharing this great story!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

What a grand story. Bless you for doing that. You might have lost a pen you would look at, gloat over, and use once in a blue moon...but you gave her back a part of her dad. The thought of it really makes me cry. :wub:

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

That was a great story and a wonderful kind deed you did for that woman. She will always have that set to remind her of her father.

However, you must posts pictures of your finds! Especially that Maxima :)

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Great story, and it resonates. And now she can give the pens away to someone she knows will take good care of them, and that is a nice gift for her to give, too.

Wonderful. Enjoy the good pen karma!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

doubled - second copy deleted.

Edited by mhguda

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

The Pen Gods were smiling on you Clayton . Doing a good thing for someone without personal gain but I

know Clayton will do the correct thing and give the lady a fair price for the pens when she gives them to him

to keep the Pen Gods happy and the maintain the good karma.

Ken

What a grand story. Bless you for doing that. You might have lost a pen you would look at, gloat over, and use once in a blue moon...but you gave her back a part of her dad. The thought of it really makes me cry. :wub:

+1. Clayton, you are a very good chap. Having inherited my mom's and grandpa's pens, I know you have given her a priceless gift. Blessing to you.

From what I've heard lately Clayton, you're doing quite well with those Pen Kharma account deposits.

That can Only be a good thing for All involved. :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

. "So shines a good deed in a weary world."

Beautiful story, sir.

What a lovely phrase. Thanks for that!

Failure seldom stops you; what stops you is fear of failure.

-- Jack Lemmon

You rock, Clayton. Well done. Even if they go back into a drawer for another 50 years. How cool it would be if she really started using them all the time.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, they are very welcome :)

I posted it rather to have many who might not otherwise share their good fortune when something like this happens maybe rethink karma!

I have to do stuff like this because I'm pretty much a smart a$$ most of the time. I have to try to balance it sometimes :yikes: .

I'm also pretty much a soft-touch on stuff like this,too. Puppies, kids...that sort of thing.

Again Thanks, Pass it on-

Clayton

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

And Clayton, a wonderful story indeed. I find myself humbled reading it.

Blessings On you and your benefactor both,

Joe

Failure seldom stops you; what stops you is fear of failure.

-- Jack Lemmon

Really nice gesture. Your karma ran over your dogma.

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

You, sir, are a gentleman. It is a blessing and a pleasure to be a member of a board where there are many who show this sort of generosity of spirit. Thank you for sharing this heartwarming story.

Regards,

Brian

Edited by Brian K

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

I have to do stuff like this because I'm pretty much a smart a$$ most of the time. I have to try to balance it sometimes :yikes: .

Clayton

You are Me and I claim my lost 51 dual tone cap.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl