Information On A Waterman Man 100 Michelin Fountain Pen?

James T

I recently picked up a modern Waterman pen I had never seen before. I've found images of the pen on a few websites and it is known as a Waterman Man 100 Michelin Fountain pen. It is clipless, has 3 gold pens (2 around the barrel and one around the cap). The top of the cap is engraved/etched with the Michelin man logo and the cap band is marked 1898 - 1998 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Michelin company.

I save my retail pen catalogues going back to 1995 for reference and can not find the pen in any of those. I can find a few images of the pen by Googling the name but not a lot of information about the pen. Does anyone know more about this pen? For instance was it a limited edition, made in 1998?, how long in production, made just for Michelin or sold retail, sold in France only?

I'm interested in learning more about this pen so any information would be appreciated.

Regards

Jim

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nath

• Left FPN

• georges zaslavsky

• dboulonnais

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The insert card pictured with the pen here may help. Sorry I cannot speak French so am unable to translate.

In addition, here is the last one that sold on the great auction site.

Force, Thank you. That was helpful. From that information it appears the pen was a limited edition with a production run of 1000. My French is limited as well but I'll translate both the warranty card and the eBay listing to see what additional information can be obtained. Regards Jim

Hi Jim, 1000 sounds a lot but they do not appear very often, hence to price when they do. In time you will get replies from a couple of the French members who I believe own them.

I had a Man 200 that was engraved with the Michelin tyre man logo on the cap top which could have been engraved anywhere but it looked official so it raised a few shillings.

Dear James and Force,

We haven’t a lot of information about this exceptional Man 100 which is not considered as an official Man 100 by the purist (for me it is a Man 100 and it have its place in the collection) and it is the reason why it is not on any official Waterman catalogues.

As you have already write in your first post, this model had been produce for commemorate the 100th anniversary of The Michelin Company.

A free translation of the card (in the contrary of you, as French, I understand well French; it is my English which is not fantastic :) )

“Waterman reissued for the centennial of the Michelin Bibendum in numbered series, a faithful replica also centenary.

19 coats of lacquer and varnish give luster and depth at this pen ornate of rings delicately engraved and a solid gold nib 750/1000. “

It seems that this pen has not been sold but reserved for Michelin employees: managers, those who went into retirement ....??

How many Michelin have been produced?

From time to time, we may see a sale on eBay.

There was a little more on a French general site "classified" (Le bon Coin).

It seems that we can found it sometimes on flea markets in Clermont-Ferrand, location of Michelin (In the centre of France).

I despair to have more information about this fountain pen.

Anyway congratulations to have one, it is highly sought this pen!

Regards

Edited by Nath

Sorry, to correct my post #4. The pen I once owned was a Man 100 otherwise a standard gloss black pen....here it is.

fpn_1405962995__dscn0305.jpg

Oh, too bad, I was already dreaming to another Man 200 to find.
I believe that a "classic Black Man 100" with a Bibendum jewell is a Frankenpens but ... who knows. E.g. the special editions for Air France differ of the common version only by the jewell on the top of the cap, as well as Allianz in Man 200 version.

Sorry, to correct my post #4. The pen I once owned was a Man 100 otherwise a standard gloss black pen....here it is.

fpn_1405962995__dscn0305.jpg

Did you add the clip yourself, Force ?

The model doesn't have one normaly ...

Yes, I know, I have it. A normal Man 200 Black introduced in 1990 with a special jewell / button on the top of cap with the logo of the firm Allianz (Special edition for the 100 years of Allianz (Insurances) created in 1890 in Munich).
I can tried to deliver an English translation to French but unfortunately I don’t speak German.

Yes, I know, I have it. A normal Man 200 Black introduced in 1990 with a special jewell / button on the top of cap with the logo of the firm Allianz (Special edition for the 100 years of Allianz (Insurances) created in 1890 in Munich).
I can tried to deliver an English translation to French but unfortunately I don’t speak German.

post-70682-0-23889400-1405972988_thumb.jpg

post-70682-0-92306600-1405973016_thumb.jpg

Did you add the clip yourself, Force ?

The model doesn't have one normaly ...

No, it was a Standard Man 100 but for the cap plate modification. Possibly done at the factory but who knows.

Nath, do you need a complete translation of that document?

Basically it tells the story of the ruined Waterman contract which was the reason for him developing a better fountainpen.

And it says that the Allianz workers will have all the necessary work tools in the future, therefore they offer this fountainpen for the jubilee.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 1 month later...

Normally the michelin doesn't have a clip, Nath bought her like most of her Waterman's collection through Ebay at a lower price than normal. When one is for sale, it is often priced at 1000-1800€.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Normally the michelin doesn't have a clip, Nath bought her like most of her Waterman's collection through Ebay at a lower price than normal. When one is for sale, it is often priced at 1000-1800€.

No Georges, the last on EBay is gone at 700/750 euros "only" !!

Misinformation!!

The characteristic of a collection is not to buy here or there, but to buy the coveted FP and therefore to be very patient.

My Michelin is a true original, NOS with its beautiful rings, without clip, box and original papers. I found it at a very reasonable price (not on eBay as at least 75 % of my collection) = A lucky day, that's it :D

A price is never lower than normal when it's the price requested by the seller: Win - Win

The important is that it's a magnificent FP and it is a happiness of having one even if I have no more information about it.

A pic for the pleasure:

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/231704WatermanMan100MichelinVdF10.jpg

Edited by Nath

Misinformation!!

The characteristic of a collection is not to buy here or there, but to buy the coveted FP and therefore to be very patient.

My Michelin is a true original, NOS with its beautiful rings, without clip, box and original papers. I found it at a very reasonable price (not on eBay as at least 75 % of my collection) = A lucky day, that's it :D

A price is never lower than normal when it's the price requested by the seller: Win - Win

The important is that it's a magnificent FP and it is a happiness of having one even if I have no more information about it.

A pic for the pleasure:

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/231704WatermanMan100MichelinVdF10.jpg

Oh, I've the same, from the same "dealer" !!!

At very good price too

No Georges, the last on EBay is gone at 700/750 euros "only" !!

Damn, it is cheaper than it usual, because otherwise the persons who own them, don't sell them. But on ebay, you can fall on a person who is absolutely unaware of the pen value, that is how you make bargains.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time