Found Eversharp

Taiin

We can certainly agree to disagree in a friendly fashion about the nib(s) What do you have for me in Wahl nibs for $10 or any nibs for that matter. BTW I sent you a backchannel on some interests I have.

For our friend:

Section pliers may be bought at your friendly auto parts store they are usually called Spark Plug boot pliers cost you about $8.00 very useful many other uses as well for the pen person. Be certain to check that the rubber jaws are soft and not too slippery. Patience, soaking and GENTLE heat are your friends in pulling a section from a Skyline. There is a breather tube in the section and it is frequently broken. If not, great if yes I'll send you one for nothing. That tube must be clean and clear for ink to flow properly

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LBpens

• Jerry Adair

• Taiin

• KBeezie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK back channel. I just thought it might be educational for others to see a real live market test of nib value :)

Save the Wahls!

It's ok with me. I am headed for one of my last sales calls before I retire Sept 1st. So I can't start the process till this evening. However you know what I need

Size #

Condition

Flex

Type of point, e.g. stub, oblique left, right

Jerry

Let's start with the OS Gold Seal Wahl nibs, I have several available. You've identified Mottishaw as the benchmark for the market, and he has one such nib on his website at $200, but it has a repaired crack. Mine are not cracked. How many do you want at $150?

Save the Wahls!

Hey, guys, let's also be considerate of the "newbie" (I don't really like the term, but it does describe those new to our hobby) by reminding him that Skylines can be REALLY FRAGILE. Be sure to do your research on proper repair techniques, and learn how and when to apply heat to these (and other) vintage pens to open them for repair.

Yes, the basic repair task is straightforward, but the risk of breaking a barrel is real - and that moire demi is a really nice looking pen, which I would hate to see broken.

Oh, BTW, if you want a really cool Skyline, look for a Skyline Executive. Imagine the style and class of the Skyline, in an over-sized pen, with a great nib. No, mine (only have one) is not for sale. . .

Hey, guys, let's also be considerate of the "newbie" (I don't really like the term, but it does describe those new to our hobby) by reminding him that Skylines can be REALLY FRAGILE. Be sure to do your research on proper repair techniques, and learn how and when to apply heat to these (and other) vintage pens to open them for repair.

Yes, the basic repair task is straightforward, but the risk of breaking a barrel is real - and that moire demi is a really nice looking pen, which I would hate to see broken.

Oh, BTW, if you want a really cool Skyline, look for a Skyline Executive. Imagine the style and class of the Skyline, in an over-sized pen, with a great nib. No, mine (only have one) is not for sale. . .

Good points. Many Skyline barrels are easy to replace, but not the moire! That's why I suggested getting some junk pens and practice removing sections. A lot of it is a sense of feel, and the more you do it the better that sense develops for you. The grey barrel is hard to find also, so I wouldn't blame the OP for letting someone else do these two, or at least setting them aside and practice with pens that wouldn't be a tragedy to break first. BTW, I do have a Skyline Executive for sale, a black one. They are the rarest color and one of the more pricey Skylines.

Save the Wahls!

It's my understanding that the Executive also has a larger ink capacity (where as I think the Standard and Demi have the same ink capacity even though their overall size is different).

I'm just wondering how much of a difference in ink capacity.

Steve:

I think if you read my post you will see that I use the words "gentle and "patience" Not my first rodeo been doing this for nearly 25 years. I fully understand the fragility of the Skyline and bade our "newbie" to exercise those words.

I am forever amazed by the posts on this site it seems that all are so timorous and afraid to try anything. There is too on this forum a manual by the Syd man that clearly states the step by step procedure to make this repair. He is the go-to guy for this topic. The Moire is a nice pen but it doesnt ink up our guy wants to get it working. Take a chance. It really is how we all learned and I would guess that most of us have stories to tell about breaking a pen. Stop by my table in Columbus and I will tell you about a mint stickered boxed Sr Duofold in Moderne. Stuff happens, and we learn and move forward. BTW I see you are in the Chicago area as am I. Were you at the Chicago show. I was between acouple of my old friendsPaul Erano and Mike Krut right in front

Jerry

I agree with most of that and would add that you should start by getting section pliers, then find some junk pens to practice removing sections. I disagree on Skyline nib prices, and can sell you one for $10 although it would not be flexible.

$10 is pretty close to the nibs melt value

o_O that's how much gold is in a typical skyline nib?

That's how much gold is in most #2 gold nibs. The nibs themselves don't weigh much at all and are 14kt (58.5% gold). If you have a mg scale you can weigh nibs yourself and do some maths with the current price of gold. I weighed two #2 nibs and I remember they came out at around $21 melt value together (~730 milligrams for both nibs on the scale).

Edited by discopig

Typical price $25-50 occasionally more depends on many variables, flex and design, broad, oblique, italic etc, 2 tones are hard to find and the Executive size is pretty uncommon as well. The harder to find nib are priced by most dealers at what the market will bear

Jerry

My offer to sell the OP a Skyline nib for $10 still stands. By the way, I have an Exec nib and a two-tone to sell if anyone is interested.

Save the Wahls!

Jerry - I was at the Chicago show. I think I have only missed it once in the last 14 years (to attend dads' day at my daughter's college). If I missed meeting you, I apologize. I seem to spend a good bit of my time there staring out through glazed eyes at all the things I want to learn about. . .

You don't exhibit?

Why dont you join

A. PCA

B. The local Chicago Pen Club. Run by my friiend Roger Wooten a go to guy for Shaeffer

Jerry