Found Eversharp

Taiin

I just got this Eversharp today at an antique store. I collected quite a layer of dust on the shelf, so it hadn't been loved on for a while. The nib had a lot of ink caked on it.

What type of Eversharp is it? Perhaps I can try my first repair with it? It only set me back $5. The lever wouldn't budge (I did not try to force it!), which I assume means the sac in there is fossilized! Please let me know what supplies you think I'll need for that fix, so I can gather the materials.

I took some pictures. The nib and feed aren't lined up properly.

post-113720-0-29257500-1405792504_thumb.jpg

post-113720-0-99343200-1405792505_thumb.jpg

post-113720-0-03925600-1405792508_thumb.jpg

post-113720-0-90434400-1405792509_thumb.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LBpens

• Jerry Adair

• Taiin

• KBeezie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Taiin, You have a Skyliner. I think it may be the full size version. I am not a repair person but my best advice to you is to not do anything until you get some good advice from someone who has experience overhauling this particular pen. Do not be impatient. You were wise not to force the lever. I think once restored you may have a really nice pen there.

There are loads of threads and pinned articles about lever pen restoration on FPN. Richard Binder has an excellent article on his site too. What a find for $5. Nothing like that round here!!!!!

I am in absolutely no rush to do anything. I am of the belief that it is best to be patient and make sure things are done correctly rather than quickly. Taking the time to learn what is needed will be worth it in the end! :D

Skyline, and fairly early. Flat feed and no angled banner on the nib. I'd say its worth more than that in parts ten times over. You did good. I can't say I'd tackle it as a first repair or even fourth. I can tell you even after you pay to have it restored it will be worth more than you have in it.

I'll give you $10. $20? No? Fine, you be that way with your celluloid body (not polystyrene) pen. The styrene causes problems after 70 years, but as yours is striped gray celluloid it doesnt matter. Lucky dog!

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Then I will definitely leave the repair to a professional! I'd rather learn on some cheapie pens, so if I make an error, it won't be too tragic!

I'm a little surprised to have found a pen like this! To be honest, I was expecting it to be nothing special when I posted. There was actually a third pen sitting on that shelf that I think I may have to go back for (I bought this Skyline and a Parkette). The nib of the one I left looked like it had been dipped in paint :huh: which is why I left it behind.

I recently bought an Estie J that the last person to use it filled with silver acrylic calligraphy ink. Any other pen may have been ruined, but for it just a nib unit and sac.

If the pen you left had similar ink, it is cleanable though difficult. I don't do this for a living so bringing them back is its own reward, money never enters into it.

If you'd like I will still give you $20 for the Skyline so you have the funds to buy the last pen. I'm just thoughtful that way.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

The remaining pen was also $5, so not a bank breaker :D I may go back and get it. I think under the painted on yuck, the nib was gold. If nothing can be done, it won't be the end of the world.

I do think I will get the Skyline restored, and see if I like it as a pen. It is so fetching, I'd love to use it! It won't be an everyday workhorse, but I bet it will write like a dream when it brought back to working condition!

These are called the moire skylines. They are pretty scarce. I think this one looks like a demi. Even so, cleaned up if no flaws, I'd value it around 70. The moire (except for the models with gold filled derby) were on the lower price end of the wide skyline lineup, but because relatively few were made, they are more pricey today than the standard Skylines. Another interesting thing about this pen is that it has the clip going over the derby unlike the Skyliner econo pen, but it does not have the double check mark on the clip.

Save the Wahls!

Thank you so much, LBpens! It is fascinating to learn about the pen!

I went back for the pen I left behind, and it is another Skyline! It is worse than I thought with the nib. It looks...cracked? And caked with greenish gunk. But it has a metal cap, which is nifty! Definitely not usable until it can be repaired. Here are pictures of it, with the other one to compare the size.

post-113720-0-35659800-1405976254_thumb.jpg

post-113720-0-57777500-1405976256_thumb.jpg

post-113720-0-95192900-1405976258_thumb.jpg

post-113720-0-01467800-1405976261_thumb.jpg

post-113720-0-40324000-1405976263_thumb.jpg

Ahh so your grey striated one is a Skyliner Demi (smaller model).

My "Army-Navy" configuration one is the same size as your grey stripped one. (I have yet to feel a standard skyliner in my hands, but the Demi doesn't seem too small for me).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/eversharp_skyline_demi/uncapped.jpg

But I bet yours would look beautiful once restored (being a fully striated design).

Edited by KBeezie

On the question of Skyline vs Skyliner, I should say tht I don't put that much stock or significance in it, because those names, like color names, were spun by marketing, and there was a lot of confusion about that it seems. But the moire is not like other Skyliners, the chief characteristic of which is, that the clip does not extend over the derby, because the moire clip does extend. BUT the moire is like a middle ground, because while it does have the clip over the derby, it does not have the checks on the clip.

On the demi I would say it is the term, more than the actual size, that turns people off. If marketing had called it the compact, it would be more desirable today. That's how marketing departments back then have influenced collecting today.

On your new Skyline, you really lucked out, not one but two scarce pens. The grey is the scarcest of the standard colors. If there are no dings in the cap, it is well worth fixing up. The nib is cracked and junk but fortunately, Skyline nibs are plentiful and cheap.

Save the Wahls!

On the question of Skyline vs Skyliner, I should say tht I don't put that much stock or significance in it, because those names, like color names, were spun by marketing, and there was a lot of confusion about that it seems.

Isn't the Streamliner just basically a Skyline with an 'economy' nib (Same size as the skyline), and a cap that simply has a clip that stops just before the dome (ie: no bar going all the way over the dome)? From the pictures even a Streamliner simply says "Skyline" around the clip's ring. Since I imagine like you said they were all Skylines, marketing just gave it another name to push them.

Also on the term "Demi", I suppose it's up there with not liking the Sheaffer "Lady" pens because it sounds feminine, rather than trying to appeal towards pocketability or compactness. (but back then it did seem like they targeted gender demographics quite heavily, more so than standard pens now, outside of jeweled pens).

Edited by KBeezie

There are absolutely no dings on the cap, I just looked it over!

What is a reasonable price for a replacement nib for the Skyline? Just so I know I don't get ripped off? For instance, there are two on eBay right now. One is $25 plus $7 for shipping (buy it now), the other starts bidding at $49 plus $3 shipping. Also, how can I ensure I got the correct nib for the pen?

I do like the look of the grey moire better, but both are quite neat! I asked the antique shop owner if he often gets fountain pens in. He told me sometimes, so I guess I'll need to poke my nose in there every now and then. He says sometimes at estate sales he finds entire drawers full of them. But I don't think he knows much about them, other than people will buy them from his shop.

KBreezie, your Skyline is absolutely gorgeous!

Edited by Taiin

There are absolutely no dings on the cap, I just looked it over!

What is a reasonable price for a replacement nib for the Skyline? Just so I know I don't get ripped off? For instance, there are two on eBay right now. One is $25 plus $7 for shipping (buy it now), the other starts bidding at $49 plus $3 shipping. Also, how can I ensure I got the correct nib for the pen?

I do like the look of the grey moire better, but both are quite neat! I asked the antique shop owner if he often gets fountain pens in. He told me sometimes, so I guess I'll need to poke my nose in there every now and then. He says sometimes at estate sales he finds entire drawers full of them. But I don't think he knows much about them, other than people will buy them from his shop.

KBreezie, your Skyline is absolutely gorgeous!

Pending someone else's better informed response, I only know this much:

The Standard and Demi are two different nib sizes, as such they're not interchangeable.

You have Banner, Teardrop Banner and T-Shape banner, and the 'low end' "Rainbow" Eversharp banner (arched eversharp like a rainbow). The rainbow ones being the economy nibs you find on the streamliner.

The "T-Banner" ones are only found in standard size, and the Tear-drop ones (has a tear drop shape etching on it) can be found in both standard and demi size nibs. So I guess if you want to be sure you're getting one for a standard size the T-Banner design would be your best bet.

I don't think any specific design had more flex than another, since it looks like the same design could be manifold, stiff/some-flex or straight flex. Can't really seem to tell other than just looking at the shape of the overall nib (more narrow and elongated leading up to the tipping).

Again... that's what I know pending someone else's better information chiming in.

PS: Thanks for the comment on my Skyline. It was one of Sean's favorites, turns out shortly after he sold it to me (for 100, same price as his restored standards, the rest of his restored demi's he priced at 80 ), he ended up picking up a standard size version of the exact same one he sold me.

Edited by KBeezie

You likely do not need a new nib if it is just paint. Have your pen serviced by someone who will do a complete take down and ultrasonic cleaning of the nib. It is gold, and thus should be unaffected by the paint. The feed however May be a bit more difficult to clean, and may have been effected. Hopefully if it is paint, it did not get up into that feeder tube. So in conclusion, send it in, let it get cleaned, polished, and get its bladder replaced. The person working on it will let you know if parts will be needed, and likely can supply them for less than E-bay.

You should be able to get skyline nibs for $10. I can sell you a whole pen for parts for 20. You can try cleaning that nib up, it looks cracked to me.

Save the Wahls!

The nib is indeed cracked, sadly. I used a lens cloth to gently buff away a bit of that caked on material and took a closer look under my microscope because I don't have a loupe. The crack extends all the way down to where the nib reaches the section it is attached to. I was hoping that it was a crack in the adhered gunk (like how paint sometimes blisters and splits), but it is the gold.

Why wouldn't you try this repair yourself? It is not quantum physics, you are going to replace a sac. Is there a risk? For sure; did you ever climb a tree? That was a risk too. Pen will top out at around $80 in working order and you would be lucky to get that. Probably cost you ca $30 for a sac replacement, $12 round trip postage plus your already spent $5. You won't lose much. Hit David Nishamuras website and order sacs. He ships fast and is reasonable. If you are serious about learning to repair buy the Marshall, Oldfield repair book. It is a comprehensive and detailed step by step book (too much about English pens :rolleyes: ) but lots on Eversharp and other fine American companies. With regard to the nib be prepared to spend $25 to $45 depending on the flex. I sell probably over a 100 nibs a year and I would never sell a nib for $10. Mottishaw is at $25-$50 he is the benchmark.

Good luck

Jerry

I agree with most of that and would add that you should start by getting section pliers, then find some junk pens to practice removing sections. I disagree on Skyline nib prices, and can sell you one for $10 although it would not be flexible.

Save the Wahls!