Where To Start With Paper

Ragwort Fairy

Over the past three days I have learnt more about fountain pens and inks than I thought there was to know, and now I know I've barely scratched the surface. Both topics seem very easy to find information aimed at beginners. I have become somewhat stuck when it comes to paper, though. This is quite possibly just my experience, but do wonder if other newbies are struggling with the same thing. Is there a "beginners' simple paper breakdown" which I have missed, or is it really a case of "pick a random name and start reading reviews"?

Perhaps I'm expecting too much; I knew more about paper coming into this than any other topic, just not in relation to fountain pens. All in all, it seems like the most bewildering topic of the (in my opinion) three main topics. A fountain pen is always, quite clearly a fountain pen. Ink is clearly labeled as ink and generally correctly states whether it is suitable for fountain pens. Paper? It doesn't really say what it's suitable for; notebooks seem too preoccupied with describing their binding and line width to go deep into an explanation of their paper. For a beginner, it's a bit like if all ink was simply called by its colour, and so were other things like paint. How would you know if the bottle of "blue" available in your local shop were ink or nail polish or food colouring?

I guess what I'm suggesting (or perhaps requesting) is a beginner's guide to buying paper which doesn't require prior knowledge of names like the Paper & Pen Paraphernalia Index does. I'd also love to know how other people feel about the issue, especially what their initial experience was/is. (Additionally, if I have managed to entirely miss a beautifully laid out article which already does what I described, please direct me to it!)

We will find it, we will bind it, we will stick it with glue glue glue,

We will stickle it, every eyelid, nose and lip,

We are coming for you you you~

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nonstickron

• Ragwort Fairy

• Bill Broome

• napalm

A good place to start with paper is Rhodia and Clairefontaine. They are quite fp friendly and are quality paper. In my opinion it is the benchmark for paper.

WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

There are many grades and versions of paper. Not all are available in every location of the world. We use a wide

range of inks, pens, and writing techniques. Standards for "satisfactory" vary greatly from person to person.

A simple approach works well >>>> Find some paper. Try your fountain pen on it. Be sure that part of what you write

is the exact information for that paper. If you like it get more. :excl:

Start with cheap, school paper (lots of sales at this time of year). Try some copy paper. For better quality, try some

"resume" paper from the stationery aisle.

People watch "travel" shows on television. They enjoy the pictures and the narratives. Nice way to spend a rainy day.

However, there is great value in GOING ! :happyberet:

Another idea >>> Write letters to people. Ask that they reply on different papers, identifying the paper. Test your pen and

ink on the margins of the paper that arrives in the mail. :eureka:

OR sit back and wait for strangers to tell you what paper you are supposed to like. :gaah:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Paper characteristics are so variable it is difficult to advise someone with brand names. In a given brand, some packages of paper are fountain pen friendly and some are not. I have a journal book in which some of the pages are fountain pen friendly on one side and feather like crazy on the other.

When I make a paper buy, I load three pens with different inks: one with ink that rarely feathers, one that feathers easily, and one that falls in between. I then go to the office supply store and buy a journal book or packet of paper and take it out to my car and try all three inks. If the paper passes my test, I return to the store and buy a stack of the same product with the same lot number. If it fails the test, I return to the store and buy one of something else and test that.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

I'm a beginner, too, so I can just let you how I've started off! After purchasing my first pen (LAMY Safari) (I have since picked up a Pilot Metropolitan as well)(I also have a pile of PIlot Varsities but whatever), I bought the following: (including Goulet links just because)

Technically, I did also get a Leuchtturm 1917 Master & a Master Slim, but those are tentatively for school in the fall so I haven't used them yet. But, I have been actively using the above, and have been really happy with them! I might actually like the Apica notebooks the best, honestly, but they've all been great and I'm excited to pick up more. The G. Lalo has been wonderful for letter writing with a thicker nib. It's fun feeling fancy as hell.

Tinysnail has given you some great suggestions and very good links. You may be able to find the products highlighter at Goulet's for a better price on your own side of the pond. Save on shipping and customs. Clairefontaine and Rhodia are both products of France. I would "assume" they would be semi regularly available in Ireland or England. From those recommendations, I would also recommend the Crane Paper lines, the Crowne Mill the Goulet's also sells and any other name quality paper.

However, for everyday jotting, as such, your best bet is paper that is not less than 24 pound paper, 90 gsm or higher. There are some really good printer papers made specifically for inkjet & laserjet printers that is also very good for fountain pens. Personally, I use all kinds of Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Crane, and the Crowne Mill papers. I also use my printer paper that is a Hammermill 24lb/90gsm paper for everyday writing. My daily journal is Rhodia Webnotebooks. Clairefontaine also makes a nice stationary product called Triomphe. And when you are ready to really branch out you will want to try Tomoe River paper. It is almost an onion skin thinness that ever with wet juicey stubbed nibs doesn't bleed or show through.

Anything else you find will be trial and error, but if you start with the listed suggestions, you'll really have a good start in knowing what to use. Who knows which ones you'll get hooked on and then curse us all for having started you down this slipper slope.

If you wish, you may PM me your address and I will mail you some sample sheets to get you started in the right direction.

Good luck on this journey . . . It could be a life long one!

Fair winds and following seas.

Here is a nice introduction to notebooks:

http://www.jetpens.com/blog/notebooks-explained/pt/647

...and some nice paper reviews:

http://www.inknouveau.com/p/paper-reviews-overviews.html

So much to read, it took me a while to get through it, but this is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Thankyou for all the suggestions. As with most things, I'm sure it will be a while before I have a favourite, and knowing my luck it will get discontinued instantly. I guess with so many helpful and informed people about, there's not really a need for a specific newbie guide to paper. Personally, I have picked out a few books to start with and can't wait for them to arrive!

I am a paper junkie. i am always on the lookout for notebooks, tablets, stationery, postcards, you name it. I have now gotten to the point that I can feel paper and have a pretty good idea whether it will work with my pens. Pay attention when you are out and about and if you find a smooth paper, try it. For the cheaper papers and notebooks, look for something made in Brazil. Vietnamese can be be good as well and so can Indian but those aren't as certain. I've even had cheap ones from China work well, but that is a total (bleep) shoot. Until you get comfortable with what you like and how it feels, sticking to Rhodia and Japanese papers is always a safe bet.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I work at a printing/marketing company. We have a warehouse full of paper. I tried 100lb opaque text today and it was thirsty and feathery. I tried an unidentifiable coated 80lb text and the ink almost pools on the surface. I can't really just walk out to the warehouse grabbing paper, I wish I knew a good general place to start. We get domestic generic commercial laser papers in bulk, not so much name brand stuff that people seem to talk about on here.

http://www.behance.com/rgdesignhouse • Ghost Letters Pen-Pal: Sir Francis Drake

By far the easiest to find and cheapest paper that still gives good results is HP premium 32 lb paper. It's easy to find at office supply stores in the states at around $20 a ream, and it won't feather like the vast majority of modern papers designed for printers or cheap ballpoints. Clairfontaine, Crane, Rhodia, or most any traditional high quality paper mill are handily better, but it's difficult to justify their expense when you start out not certain of what you like in a paper and you haven't nailed down what you enjoy in a fountain pen or ink. If for nothing else, it's a good practice paper to use if you want to improve handwriting without worrying about wasting a higher quality paper. Consensus lately has been that Tomoe River paper is the best, as long as you don't mind showthrough or thinness, but the expense of shipping it from Japan requires a kingly commitment to paper quality.

I personally would prefer a ream of something more opaque anyway. I'd prefer to find something domestic with similar characteristics to clairefontaine or leachtturm out in our warehouse. All our paper is just defined by inventory codes and characteristics though. Like "80lb dull coat opaque text".

I've read that clairefontaine is a vellum paper. Maybe I'll ask if we have anything in vellum or with cotton content, seems people on here have had good luck with 25% cotton papers.

http://www.behance.com/rgdesignhouse • Ghost Letters Pen-Pal: Sir Francis Drake

I spent a ton of money trying various "alternatives" to french vellum paper and I got nowhere. Stick with Rhodia / Clairefontaine, you'll be happy and and you'll save money. If you prefer slightly cream paper, there are a few good Japanese ones. The problem with them is finding a reliable, inexpensive supplier.

Many people recommend HP 32 pound laser jet copy paper. I have found excellent success with the 24 pound version.

Ampad Gold Fiber legal pads are also very good.

Many people recommend HP 32 pound laser jet copy paper. I have found excellent success with the 24 pound version.

Ampad Gold Fiber legal pads are also very good.

The problem with HP 32 is that it's too thick and heavy. Looks like craft paper to me.

I am a paper junkie. i am always on the lookout for notebooks, tablets, stationery, postcards, you name it. I have now gotten to the point that I can feel paper and have a pretty good idea whether it will work with my pens. Pay attention when you are out and about and if you find a smooth paper, try it. For the cheaper papers and notebooks, look for something made in Brazil. Vietnamese can be be good as well and so can Indian but those aren't as certain. I've even had cheap ones from China work well, but that is a total (bleep) shoot. Until you get comfortable with what you like and how it feels, sticking to Rhodia and Japanese papers is always a safe bet.

Thanks, Sleepyside. It's always good to hear a "junkie's" expert opinion! I could easily become a paper junkie, too. I'm pretty sure it's in my future.

Thanks in particular for the Brazil info. I saw it mentioned on another thread, too ~ I'll be on the lookout for some.

LeonW, thanks, genuine vellum sounds like it will make the short list. Best wishes on your addiction!