Worst Expensive

zzbr76

Bexley.

rubbish

So true...

From my part...

I got failed by a store bought MB 144 with serious ink flow problems, got massive problems with the feed on a Danitrio Hyotan that went super dry in 5 seconds and it costed me another 160$ to make it work (50$ the transportation), I had a Visconti Ragtime that skipped a lot and had a rubbish metal section from which the fingers slipped all the time and a Stipula Fleur de Lis with titanium nib (550$!) that just wasn't right in the nib department and skipped, glidded to much, scratched towards right and all of that. Anyway... Those are some examples that easily come to mind...

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• zzbr76

• jmccarty3

• chas0039

my Lamy 2000 and my experience with our local service center... <_< >_> good thing I know a friend hahahaha... god... that was awful seriously a service center without a nib meister... I know I could open the tines myself BUT... ITS GOLD... I'm afraid what would happen to it if I over do it yes my Lamy 2000 was dry out of the box it was dip tested at the bookstore I bought it so I'm not the only witness

and know what my local service center told me to do with my writing of the Lamy 2000 WAS TO BLOODY OVER PRESSURE THE WRITING... BOY AIN'T THAT SILLY

Edited by Algester

After reading this I am horrified and feel lucky that some of the high ticket pens I have recently purchased generally write very much to my liking.

I am very happy with an ancient Esterbrook from the 50's (it was free from my mom when I was in high school), I spent asn afternoon cleaning out which has a manifold nib that is better than I remembered it, and old Pelikan 120 I did on the same day seems somewhat scratchy but it's a fine nib and had dried ink in it for over 25 years.

I hope my luck holds out.

Oddly, my favorite brand, Delta, is also on that list. I ordered a Soiree and a Passion from Amazon, and when I got them,the quality was cheap compared to my Dolce Vitas. I promptly returned them.

My Parker Duofold International. Not a bad pen but I expected more because of the price. Also bought it because I wanted to see what '' precious resin '' would look like... Was a bit disappointed.

Edited by frenchguy86

My Sonnet skipped a bit.

Now it's fixed naturally.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

I haven't really bought that many $300+ pens, and the few I've got have generally been good. However...

OMAS Emotica. The first one I got had multiple defects, so it went back to the seller for a replacement. The replacement had a defective converter, but that was a standard Schmidt part (with OMAS stamped on it), so at least it was easy to replace. The pen doesn't write particularly well, and the rubberized finish on the body has started to become tacky. (My experience with similar finishes on other products suggests it will turn to goo after a few years.)

Only pen I've ever 'bought' anywhere near that price range was my Pelikan M400 White Tortoise, paid for with present money (it was a special birthday!). Disappointed? Only because I might have gone for an XF rather than a F nib for which I can blame nobody but myself, but otherwise :) :) :)

Edited by PDW

I have also never had a 300.00+ dollar pen disappoint me. I have, however, been disappointed with cheaper pens. Case in point, I tried to like the Lamy Safari because so many recommended it. I have tried 3 of them and all of them wrote like nails.

Mine did too, until I smoothed the nib's tines, they were too tight. From a budget pen under 60$/€, the least I can expect is that it needs tuning before working properly.

http://vladsandrini.com/i/mysig.png

vladsandrini.com

I haven't really bought that many $300+ pens, and the few I've got have generally been good. However...

OMAS Emotica. The first one I got had multiple defects, so it went back to the seller for a replacement. The replacement had a defective converter, but that was a standard Schmidt part (with OMAS stamped on it), so at least it was easy to replace. The pen doesn't write particularly well, and the rubberized finish on the body has started to become tacky. (My experience with similar finishes on other products suggests it will turn to goo after a few years.)

Rubberized finishes as your experience shows tend to become tacky, turn to goo, flake off and in general fail over time so I would never expect such a finish to last regardless of how expensive the object.

My Website

Pelikan M200 people bash sonnets all the time however this pen wrote so dry and required a ton of adjustment.

Edited by The Blue Knight

I've had several Visconti's that had issues enough that I will no longer purchase one. This was back before they were making the steel nibs on so many models, so if I recall correctly they had 14 ct nibs. Also problems with cracking caps on some, for no reason at all.

Pretty pens, but I will not buy one ever again.

Edited by warblerick

Hmmm. First I'd have to be able to afford a $300 pen to be able to find it disappointing.... :rolleyes:

The most I ever paid for a pen was the Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise I got on the Bay of Evil last winter, but that doesn't belong in this thread -- it writes like a dream.

When push comes to shove, the most "expensive" (for me) bad pen was the Parker Shadow Wave (also from the B of E) which turned out to be in much worse shape than I thought. So I'm having to factor in repair costs to the price (new diaphragm, replacement cap jewel, possible repairs to the possible crack in the cap...) :wallbash: And all because I went :puddle: without doing *quite* the due diligence on it that I really should have.... :glare:

Oh, yeah, then there's the Parker Urban. But that's just a (bleep) pen all around. I've paid both more and less money for better pens than it -- new AND vintage.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Reminds me of when I first heard the term "first world problem"

gary

Where's the *like* button?

We'll have snow in Alabama on the 4th of July before I spend as much as $300 on a pen. So far my most expensive splurge has been $95 for an Invincia from Fahrney's. And no pen that I've bought for any price has disappointed me.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Anything by Montblanc. Pens have no business costing that much. And that kind of brand should never fail right out of the box.

Look at Victorinox if you want to see superb high quality EU workmanship. Their price today for the same knife is not even double what my first cost in 1965. Try to get a MB for that.

End of rant:).

Just got a Kaweco Dia2 and is ultra dry, many flushes, soap dish combo, rinse and flushed ever and ever and nothing :( Purchased from CultPens.

Return the pen would cost me more than purchase an spare nib.

My Parker Duofold International. Not a bad pen but I expected more because of the price. Also bought it because I wanted to see what '' precious resin '' would look like... Was a bit disappointed.

"Precious resin" arrives at the factory as granules of "cheap plastic". It is then formed into the shape of a pen, has a few shiny bits added and finally gets a large price tag attached. During the final stage of the process a magical thing happens and the "cheap plastic" morphs into "precious resin".

Now you understand why it was a little disappointing!

None. Amongst the expensive I have a MB 149 since the 1980's still going strong and it was never serviced. I think I am now going to service it as my conscience is starting to bother me.

Kind regards,

Rui

Pelikan M200 people bash sonnets all the time however this pen wrote so dry and required a ton of adjustment.

I just got one of these and swapped for a EF nib. I noticed a clear, appropriate, gap all the way through the tines and I have no issues with dryness, using Noodler's Midnight Blue. Maybe you have a spacing issue that could be easily fixed, or you might try a wetter ink. I think this Blue is wetter as I can see feathering and more saturation on cheap paper than with some other inks.

Each pen gots its personality some are dry some are wet some are smooth some are smoother some are scratchy some are not I personally didn't have an a 300$+ pen that disappointed me not even inexpensive one even a disposable Pilot Varsity writes great maybe I'm lucky ! :D

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png