Restoring And Customising A Briefcase

my63

I know nothing about how you plan to construct the interior lining for this bag but a crazy idea hit me when you mentioned using lilac suede and not having enough... What do you think of using a darker coordinating purple for the upper edge (an inch or two) and ends of the lining, that is, the area/sides where the little inner leather bits are? I like contrast and having most of it light colored will still allow things inside to be easy to seen. Just a thought....

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Anne-Sophie

• Skyppere

• jsolares

Top Posters In This Topic

I know nothing about how you plan to construct the interior lining for this bag but a crazy idea hit me when you mentioned using lilac suede and not having enough... What do you think of using a darker coordinating purple for the upper edge (an inch or two) and ends of the lining, that is, the area/sides where the little inner leather bits are? I like contrast and having most of it light colored will still allow things inside to be easy to seen. Just a thought....

I like the sound of that idea, I like contrast and I like to use bright colours my problem is I don't get which colours would go together, I would get the one purple that clashed with lilac.

Maybe I should consider a more neutral tone of suede to appeal to a wider market when it comes to selling it.

Thanks

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

I like the sound of that idea, I like contrast and I like to use bright colours my problem is I don't get which colours would go together, I would get the one purple that clashed with lilac.

Maybe I should consider a more neutral tone of suede to appeal to a wider market when it comes to selling it.

Thanks

Michael

Well, if you wanted to be very sure the easiest thing to do would be to take your lilac fabric with you to check. You could also perhaps ask the clerks for their advice or opinions. I'd say if a person likes lilac they'd probably like dark purple too.

Gladstone/gate-mouth bags used by doctors were MUCH larger. I have two of my own (one which is a similar style to what you have there).

Something that size (iPad) is probably a handbag or something similar. I don't see it holding all the stuff which a doctor would need for a housecall. But knowing you, Mike, you'll make it look fantastic when it's done.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Well, if you wanted to be very sure the easiest thing to do would be to take your lilac fabric with you to check. You could also perhaps ask the clerks for their advice or opinions. I'd say if a person likes lilac they'd probably like dark purple too.

I feel it is only fair to mention that although it is a shop it is not a retail sort of environment if you asked which leather for this project then fine but asking which colour went with which they would look at me like I was mad.

In fact they did I took the little bag with me they estimated by the decomposition of some of the leather it to be from the 1930 s as Anne-Sophie rightly pointed out.

I am still undecided on how best to proceed I was advised not to take the bag apart as it will be very difficult to sew it back together so for now I have smothered it in mink oil to feed the leather and soften it.

I have turned my attention back to the small pendragon bag yes there is a large pendragon bag in black but I will come back to that later, whilst at the supplier I was shown some fantastic red suede so I splashed out on a piece large enough to line the smaller bag.

The gusset piece is thinner than the main body leather and is in really bad condition so much so I put my finger through it yesterday so it will require replacement.

I am taking the same approach with bags as I do with writing slopes in doing what is necessary to make them usable not as new or artificially shinny the outside will look like a bag in good condition, the inside on the other hand I want to make my mark it is going to be red suede and the stitching will be red as my supply of ritza 25 has arrived.

This bag is around 50 years old and I expect it to last for at least another 50 years

Thanks for looking

Michael

Thanks Sadiq

My run of bad luck is continuing I found out yesterday that after a fall last week I have fractured my clavicle on my good side.

I tried to unpick some stitching last night with my left arm in a sling what a laugh.

So my plans of having a stock pile of items to sell in December may not happen I might have a sale in January instead :)

Thanks Sadiq

My run of bad luck is continuing I found out yesterday that after a fall last week I have fractured my clavicle on my good side.

I tried to unpick some stitching last night with my left arm in a sling what a laugh.

So my plans of having a stock pile of items to sell in December may not happen I might have a sale in January instead :)

Sorry to hear...hope you recover soon.

I have stripped the bag to its components I think this bag is going to be fantastic the red suede is a lovely colour I want to sew it back together now.

15596136478_43f6036ac5_z.jpgIMG_8990_1 by my0771, on Flickr

15596137368_0a17acdb58_z.jpgIMG_8991_1 by my0771, on Flickr

15757867046_1d4655a907_z.jpgIMG_8988_1 by my0771, on Flickr

This is the gusset piece it joins the front back and middle sections and it is the only piece of the bag that is unusable as it happens I have a suitable hide from which I will cut a replacement.

15162121173_e7ce2100e1_z.jpgIMG_8987_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I have cleaned this bag already but now it is in pieces I will clean it again before I start to re assemble the bag.

Addendum on the smaller bag.

Below is an article which mention the book: “Louis Vuitton City Bags: A Natural History”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/evelyne-politanoff/louis-vuitton-city-bags-a_b_4098677.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-z91wbGw9svU/Ulwbo1vNTNI/AAAAAAAAPoA/A4om6BNilHU/s640/noname-4.jpeg

The Image above, which is part of the article shows the historical design of LV house. On the lower left, the first all leather with no pattern bag looks very much like your find but it is not square enough.

The handle is quite similar, this suggest that the small handbag your are reviving is most probably a designer bag of UK origins, inspired by that brand.

The pebble leather is a give away to the quality of the item.

The original interior of the bag being pale yellow green with cream stripes. A cream lining would be most suitable.

Purple and Lilac are more associated with mid-century handbags (1960's and above).

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Thanks Anne-Sophie I appreciate your input. I am not trying to restore it to its previous glory merely to make it useable once again.

The little bag is almost stripped I have removed the metal work by grinding off the rivets as I was unable to find replacement rivets I settled on some 1.5mm nuts and bolts.

Unfortunately when I was removing the catches that were held in place by folder over metal tabs inside the bag one tab on each side snapped off.

I have a solution that will require a little light engineering drilling and tapping holes pictures will follow soon.

The pendragon case has not seen much movement it is now in pieces I tried to cut the suede today with a little success well I have some of the pieces but they are a little large,which of course is better than too small :) but not what I was aiming for.

I did manage to put the pieces of the gusset back together to get some measurements. I was surprised to find that the gusset piece is almost 1 m long.

My fractured collar bone seems to be taking an awful long time to heal it will be two weeks tomorrow :)

Thanks

Michael

I am improving every day so I have started doing little bits now and then over the last few days I have stuck the red suede to the inside of the briefcase

15859963956_bb016ea6d3_z.jpgIMG_9043_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The old gusset piece fell apart in my hands so I have made a new piece I have tried to match the colour I think it was saddle tan.

15859961266_4636e88764_z.jpgIMG_9040_1 by my0771, on Flickr

My daughter wanted a new bag for college as her existing bag had fallen apart I mentioned I had seen some bright yellow leather at the suppliers it is apparently Pikachu yellow so at some point we may be adding ears !!

15885777535_e500c152a7_z.jpgIMG_9044_1 by my0771, on Flickr

15698477200_46a39fdd96_z.jpgIMG_9045_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Michael

Feel better soon Michael, and remember to rest!

Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Thanks to everyone for their kind messages it is appreciated my fracture is healing well and I am taking things slowly.

So my current bag project has taken a lot longer than planned.

15897901335_06c51f6993_z.jpgIMG_9058_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I don't know the full history of this bag but the trade name is Pendragon which as far as I know is the trade mark of Papworth industries I have included a link for anyone who is interested

http://www.swaineadeneybrigg.com/papworth-article/papworth-history/

15897898045_3081905c8b_z.jpgIMG_9055_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I have resisted the urge to clean all of the patina from this case or to polish it to a gloss finish.

The straps are in good condition so I have simply sewn them back in place.

15897901335_06c51f6993_z.jpgIMG_9058_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I like brass shinny but I have left this lock as it was I will be making a replacement key for it.

There is still a lot of sewing to do on this case and it may be a few weeks before it is completed

Thanks for looking

Michael