• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• andreasn

• Ricardo1962

• prf5

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've changed my mind again i will use a pencil. But then people won't notice my writing tool and I will be completely common.

You will always be delightfully uncommon when you are doing what please you instead of what pleases other people.

ron

I've changed my mind about the pocket notebook. I want to use ink. But i'll use pencils for something else. I just wonder what?

Darts?

Hunting small rodents and unwary birds?

Making punji sticks?

To equip an army of tiny Spartans?

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Have both!

I picked up a Sheaffer 440 pencil to match a Sheaffer 440 fountain pen. The pencil is slim, works nicely, and matches the pen. I'm very pleased with it. The set was less than $60, NOS, so it's not an expensive thing to consider. The pencil alone is $15.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

I have a friend who adores mechanical pencils - good, thick leaded pencils. In March we visited Artlite in Atlanta, and she scored an amazing Porsche pencil. It was on clearance, but it still was not inexpensive. And trust me, you would not be ordinary using that pencil; people WILL notice that it is out of the ordinary. She also has a lovely orange Delta pencil; she lost her beloved MB pencil, I don't which one but apparently it cannot be purchased outside of a FP/BP/Pencil set so she has yet to replace it. In any case, she is extremely protective of her pencils; woe to the fool who tries to pick one up without permission, or worse yet, use the embedded eraser.

She also owns a fine collection of FBs, so she can do any sort of writing she wishes to do. She does a lot of editing with those pencils.

My husband also adores pencils; he is a lefty, and does not use FPs. As a result we own a number of vintage FB/pencil combos. Most of them are in working condition, though I never use them. But you could get one of those and be prepared to write with either mechanism at the flip of the utensil.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

It is not fountain pens you are looking for!

*waving my hand in a Jedi-like way*

You are looking for pencils!

You can move along...

:lticaptd: :thumbup:

You'll stand out of the crowd if you write on paper instead of using your phone. (Another Finn here.) I've fallen in love with wooden pencils after years of mechanical ones. I've tried Palomino Blackwings and they are beautiful but just too soft for me. My most important tool when it comes to pencils is a Kum automatic long point sharpener, it's amazing.

Caretaker for a bevy of Swans.

You can trim a carpenter's pencil so it acts like a stub pen. You can erase. You can vary the pressure and thus the line weight and if you break the point, just resharpen! Sprung nib, pen ruined? Nonsense! You don't have to wait for the ink to dry - turn that page immediately!

Snip....!

I use a Sharpie pen when I want the high contrast of ink, but don't have fountain pen friendly paper. Sometimes I use the Sharpie even when I have good paper. The Sharpie feels almost as good as my Benderized Vanishing Point when I write in my Rhodia which is pretty amazing since it's about 1/100th the price ($1.50 vs $140). It's just a pity that the Sharpie ink is so bland in comparison.

.......Snip

--flatline

Flatline: which size Sharpie? I've only ever used the ultra fine for day to day writing; always thought the others were just too broad.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

Thuja, do you know were I can get more uncommon brands of pencils here in finland?

Sorry but no. I don't know where you are based but in Helsinki I would go to Akateeminen and Tempera (Uudenmaankatu 16). You might also want to check what the bookshops in Ateneum and Kiasma have. I really like Staedtler Mars Lumograph (the classic blue and black one), it's easy to find and writes well.

When it comes to notebooks (I noticed your other thread), same suggestions apply but I would also suggest visiting bookbinder Juhani Roininen (Korkeavuorenkatu 5, Helsinki) who happens to be a huge FP enthusiast as well.

Caretaker for a bevy of Swans.

Flatline: which size Sharpie? I've only ever used the ultra fine for day to day writing; always thought the others were just too broad.

As far as I know, the Sharpie Pen only comes in one size: Fine. I've never tried to use the ultra fine sharpie marker for writing, so I don't know how it compares.

--flatline

As far as I know, the Sharpie Pen only comes in one size: Fine. I've never tried to use the ultra fine sharpie marker for writing, so I don't know how it compares.

--flatline

I've seen Sharpies in fine, ultra-fine, and extra-fine. I have a fine point retractable. For everyday writing it doesn't match up to a Jetstream, Bic, Zebra, or Pilot.

I've seen Sharpies in fine, ultra-fine, and extra-fine. I have a fine point retractable. For everyday writing it doesn't match up to a Jetstream, Bic, Zebra, or Pilot.

WHAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!! someone is recommending a bic on this forum. whaaat!

Those are permanent markers which are entirely different beasts from the Sharpie Pen which is a porous tip pen. Take a look at http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Pages/penpencil.aspx and then take a look at http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Pages/sharpiemarkers.aspx to see the difference.

--flatline

Those are permanent markers which are entirely different beasts from the Sharpie Pen which is a porous tip pen. Take a look at http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Pages/penpencil.aspx and then take a look at http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Pages/sharpiemarkers.aspx to see the difference.

--flatline

Sharpie makes a dazzling array of writing and marking instruments. The instrument I have is a retractable fine point pen, not a marker. In my opinion, it's not close the products I listed, even including a Bic.

Sharpie makes a dazzling array of writing and marking instruments. The instrument I have is a retractable fine point pen, not a marker. In my opinion, it's not close the products I listed, even including a Bic.

I've got some Bic Intensity porous tip pens and they write pretty nicely. They're not quite as fine a point as the Sharpie pen and the Sharpie pen feels a bit smoother on good paper, but they're basically the same thing. If I could get a Staedtler Triplus Fineliner without having to buy a dozen at a time (including colors that I have no use for, like yellow), I would just to see how a 0.3mm porous tip writes. But if I've learned anything from fountain pens, it's that a point that's as fine as I want doesn't usually feel very good to write with (except for drafting pencils), so I haven't really gone out of my way to try a Fineliner yet.

In my opinion, porous tip pens are more comfortable than ballpoints because they take no pressure. I rank them about the same as rollerballs. Rollerballs have better ink, but porous tip pens dry almost instantly, so it's basically a wash between the two depending on my needs.

--flatline

Edited by flatline