Please Covince Me To Use A Pencil

andreasn

I have kind of decided to use a pencil in my next pocket notebook.

Please convince me that this is a good idea, I've become so used to using a fp lately that it's been very hard to pick up a pencil. But I love the feel of wooden pencils so much.

Before I discovered fps I didn't have a love for pencils either but now when after I realized writing instruments can be beatuiful and nice, i have discovered that wooden pencils are actually really nice.

In school iI mostly used a mechanical pencil and that was not nice, i liked the practicality of them but didn't have any character ( that was before i discovered the fountain pen).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• andreasn

• Ricardo1962

• prf5

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have kind of decided to use a pencil in my next pocket notebook.

Please convince me that this is a good idea, I've become so used to using a fp lately that it's been very hard to pick up a pencil. But I love the feel of wooden pencils so much.

Before I discovered fps I didn't have a love for pencils either but now when after I realized writing instruments can be beatuiful and nice, i have discovered that wooden pencils are actually really nice.

In school iI mostly used a mechanical pencil and that was not nice, i liked the practicality of them but didn't have any character ( that was before i discovered the fountain pen).

You started a recent thread on Any Good Wooden Pencils, and I note that I posted a link to a review of a partially wooden mechanical pencil that you may find has character ;)

A pencil is simply a writing tool. Use the appropriate tool for the job.

When I used a daily planner, I only used a pencil in it.

I could erase things, which I did all the time. So a pen was the WRONG tool for me and the planner.

If a pencil feels better to write with, use it.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Pencil marks (graphite) are lightfast and waterproof.

You can make the point write as fine or as broad as you wish.

A broken pencil is cheaply replaced.

Address books written in pencil can be used indefinitely. When someone goes out of touch for a couple of years, you simply erase his entry.

Cedar cased pencils will keep the moths out of your pockets.

Edited by Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

A pencil is simply a writing tool. Use the appropriate tool for the job.

When I used a daily planner, I only used a pencil in it.

I could erase things, which I did all the time. So a pen was the WRONG tool for me and the planner.

If a pencil feels better to write with, use it.

+1. Besides the planner (plans change!), I never use ink for marking music (the conductor might change his mind about where that breath should go, or you may want to do something differently the next time you perform a piece), and I prefer not to use ink on the rare occasions when I write in books. Much as I love writing with my fountain pens, they're just the wrong tool for me for those applications. I also like the feel of a good wooden pencil, although I also appreciate the "always sharp" aspect of mechanical pencils, so I go back and forth between the two. Use what works for you!

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

You should use a pencil because...

nope, can't do it.

Sorry

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Let me count the ways ...

Instant deployment and return--no caps, sheaths, or even clicks between you and capturing that fleeting thought.

Permanent until you choose to change it, then easily altered.

No worries about collateral damage from failures, spills, upwellings, or downfalls.

Rugged. And no plastic.

Inexpensive and easy to find, at least until you fall in love with a really obscure brand.

Beauty of line: width and shade are almost entirely under your control and limited only by your skill.

Abstract: your choice of colors is gray.

Sensuous: a good pencil on good paper in a still, uncluttered room can please your senses as much as can a fine fountain pen.

Reconnection to a far older tradition: like quills, pencils are shaped and maintained by the writer, gradually cut down and finally discarded.

So what is not to love?

ron

Find a great, beautiful vintage pencil and use that. I have a collection including a streamlined Duofold in Lapis Lazuli that was described on the bay as a "Parker Ball Point, not working". Modern pencils use a lead that's too fine for my taste, so the oldies suit me just fine.

Use what you want to use. I like the Parker 51 pencils or the P21 pencils. Good everyday mechanical pencil [ solid ]

I repeat, use what you like.

Ken

You might change your mind about marginal notes or what you underline in a book. That's easily done with a pencil. In some settings, for instance, rare book libraries or artifact collections, pens are bad form or prohibited outright. An inexpensive pencil does not draw attention to what you are writing. I use a pencil to make notes when I expect to make errors, for instance, in changing the number of decimal digits, and when I make notes that I expect to erase later.

I've changed my mind about the pocket notebook. I want to use ink. But i'll use pencils for something else. I just wonder what?

i've always used mechanical pencils, but i've been getting into woodcase pencils lately, mostly as a result of listening to the Erasable podcast at erasable.us. What's great about woodcase pencils is that the most super deluxe ones are just a couple of dollars. Quite a bit less than my fountain pen hobby! Right now I'm into the Palamino Blackwing 602 and the Palamino Blackwing Pearl.

Wooden pencils are cheap, environmentally friendly, easily replaced anywhere, come in many colors and styles, the writing can be changed, and they fit in anywhere. I love using a #2 wooden pencil almost as much as using a fountain pen.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I've changed my mind about the pocket notebook. I want to use ink. But i'll use pencils for something else. I just wonder what?

Interesting call. Maybe in about a year, you could update this thread and tell us how it's worked out.

Pencils are for babies, children, artists and nurses who always make changes to their roster overtime sheet. Be a man and be proud of your fountain pen usage that makes you look super suave, old-school and make women drop their panties for you. Abandon all ye thoughts of using a pencil my prodigal son.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

I have a Faber Castell perfect pencil that I use in the field because it can write on wet paper and write-in-the-rain notebooks. I also have one in my wallet because a pen is too big to fit and I don't have to worry about ink drying or anything like that.

I've changed my mind again i will use a pencil. But then people won't notice my writing tool and I will be completely common.

I've changed my mind again i will use a pencil. But then people won't notice my writing tool and I will be completely common.

Why does that matter to you? Does your writing tool really define you?

I mean, if you want people to notice your writing tool, and if you think that this will define you, and yet you want to use a wooden pencil, then design and commission/craft your own wooden pencil. Yes, you read that right. Design and commission/craft your own wooden pencil. If possible, the wood should be a rare wood that was acquired by your own hand. The design should be unusual, loud, something that will stand out. Maybe it will incorporate gold and other precious metals. Maybe it will incorporate precious stones. Crazy? But if getting people to notice your writing tool and to be uncommon is your goal, then be uncommon: do what it takes to achieve it.

Edited by laserlight