#21 kestrel

kestrel

School Eccentric

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 20:57

My heart aches for you, Bruce.

In about four weeks I will have my brand new 9th grade honors students do their first laboratory exercise.  It is a simple getting to know the lab equipment sort of thing.  One of the steps requires them to convert a measurement in centimeters to millimeters.  For the metrically challenged, that means multiple by ten.  Half of them will immediately reach for their calculators.

I have found it necessary to instruct some of my students on the correct manner of holding and using scissors.  And measuring things (twice) before cutting.

If it makes you feel better, you are not alone.  I just picked up a rather nice Conklin S3 (the same model used by Mark Twain from 1904-1907) in excellent condition from an online auction house not to be named for the princely sum of $22.00 US.  The nib was in beautiful shape with lots of tipping, no cracks, no large scratches.  All it needed was a simple resac.  Why the bargain price?  It was listed as a Cooklin.  I found it by accident while looking for something else.  A simpul speling misteak. 

Dave Campbell
Science Teacher and Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#22 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 21:12

:lticaptd:

Ha. That's a good one, a cut and paste error I'd guess too.

I think caveat emptor goes for both bidders and sellers on Fleabay, BOTH have their own responsibilites to know what they are bidding on or selling.

I am much more prone to message a seller if I think that even accidentally they may lead a bidder astray with his claims. Or even if the seller has dramatically negatively impacted their own chances of getting what they should for their item. That won't happen here. The seller is going to stare right as his mistake every time he looks at his selling page. If he can't figure it out from that, the only person he's affected

here is himself and not very much there.

I AM a bit curious who will roll over in their graves the most revolutions, Mr. Parker or Mr. Esterbrook...  :P

Kestrel, I remember my very first metrics test in 7th or 8th grade.  Without a doubt still the lowest score I've ever scored on any exam. Thankfully, I figured it out pretty quickly. I still remember my eyes bugging out of my head when Mr. Loll handed me back my paper. As I was usually a good student, I wondered why he was looking at me like I'd lost my mind. (And yes, I still remember the exact score.)

Cooklin. That's hilarious. I got a case of Easterbrook nibs like that once, and for not much more than your Cooklin.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#23 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 22:38

When I was new to the Parker fountain pens from the Jotters I was not too bright [ Some people are not as bright as a 5 watt light bulb ] but I did the research and describe items the best I could. At least some sellers say straight up they know nothing about pens.[ I like that. ] I can work with that with the knowledge  that I have gain when looking at Parker's online or out in the wild.

But for me at 5 watt light bulb is way brighter than me on other pen brands.

Someday I might be as bright as a 25 watt bulb.

#24 brgmarketing

brgmarketing

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:09

When it comes to common sense, please keep in mind:

Common sense is very uncommon.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#25 vikrmbedi

vikrmbedi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:03

do you think sending an image like below to the seller would help? :D

gG5g9m4.jpg

#26 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:13

I think now a days you need what they call it ? Oh Yea an [ APP ] for the mobile device the person has

so they use their thumbs.

I do not have a cell phone only an ipod that I found on the street and do not have web service for it.

I need to get a cell phone just to put in the car for the road side emergencies. [ Note to self; do more research

on cell phones. ]

#27 CraigR

CraigR

Bibliophile, Writer and Philosopher

• Member - Gold

• 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:36

I have stopped letting Ebay sellers know of an obvious error in their ad. The overwhelming number of negative responses to my unsolicited aid convinced me to stop. So many times I have been ready, willing and able to buy on-line, pending an answer to my question or a clarification, only to be met with hostility or just being ignored. Of course, many of these instances evolved from the seller being completely uninformed about the item they are selling. 

Just to make sure it is clear that this is not just a rant about Ebay, I must also mention that there are many very good sellers online who make every effort to be clear and correct in describing their products. They are also very helpful answering questions. Much of the time, when I am looking for something specific, I contact sellers I have dealt with in the past and ask if they can help me find the item.

From now on I am going to ask Bruce to do my Ebay searches and deals as he seems to be very good at it, already has had his nervous breakdown and has pulled the hair from his head.  :wallbash:

Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words. 

LetterExchange_sm.png

Blog -   https://agiftforwords.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook...up/146644665309

#28 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 13,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:08

Anytime I can help Craig, holler.

It was no biggee today. Like I told our fellow member looking for the 51. It all worked out just fine. We finally got the info we needed and even our peeps here had a few good yucks over it. It's not the first time sellers have wired me out and it probably won't be the last. 

I had a good time tonight going over a bunch of pics of one for him with a fine tooth comb and writing up a full page of more than he'd need to know about it. I even dated it to 58 or 59 which is as close as you can get without a date code. I had one last question for the seller so I tossed in some of the intel on his own

pen that he's owned for awhile I'll bet money that even he didn't know.

And I actually have a pretty good head of hair even if it's graying a bit on the edges.  :unsure:

It's all good. 

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#29 Dickkooty2

Dickkooty2

That Dick in Hood River

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:59

Bruce, I hope you are feeling better after your explosion. For those of advanced ages, I'd suggest laying off the RCs and swig some Pepto Bismol.

I seem to have found a group of ebay sellers in Germany and The Netherlands who know where of they speak on Pelikan and their family of related brands (all defunct), Geha, MBs, and Fend SuperNorma, I correspond with them on some needs I may have and am glad for their help. 

Of course, I am not an avid collector of the arcane. I simply want representative samples of design at various points in time.

I say settle down, but I just had my Lisinopril increased from 20 to 30 mgs. So who am I to talk?

#30 chunya

chunya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 960 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:29

do you think sending an image like below to the seller would help? :D

gG5g9m4.jpg

My students are probably on par with kestrel's, and present them with this and their heads would probably explode (the young nowadays are too selfish to have imploding heads)

#31 GAtkins

GAtkins

Vintage

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:26

Bruce,

I literally laughed out loud when I read your post.  I had the same seller say 5 3/4 twice on the same pen when I asked the second time for them to remeasure.  I'm sure they didn't bother to break out the ruler the second time though.

Maybe you should link them to something like this.  They wouldn't get the subtle hint.

http://www.guzer.com...tures/findx.php

Glenn

Triumph Vintage Pens * Triumph Vintage Pens Blog @triumphpens

Vintage fountain pen restoration, collection, information, & education from my own private collection

Interests include Parker 51, Parker Vacumatic, Parker Duofold, Sheaffer, Conklin, Esterbrook, & Wahl-Eversharp

Sponsor Member, Pen Collectors Of America * Member, Writing Equipment Society * Member, Black Pen Society

#32 Parker51

Parker51

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:41

Yes, people are in general, by definition, of average Intelligence. Most get by on a day to day basis by using a variety of heuristics, and often are so dependent on them that they are incapable of exercising even the most basic of problem solving.

#33 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:49

Remember there is an APP for everything now.......

All they have to do is click on & up/down load.

#34 Empty_of_Clouds

Empty_of_Clouds

Seeker

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:05

How Can Some People Be Sooo Stooopid?!

It's a gift.

:lticaptd:

#35 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Moderators

• 10,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:05

Bruce,

I literally laughed out loud when I read your post.  I had the same seller say 5 3/4 twice on the same pen when I asked the second time for them to remeasure.  I'm sure they didn't bother to break out the ruler the second time though.

Maybe you should link them to something like this.  They wouldn't get the subtle hint.

http://www.guzer.com...tures/findx.php

Glenn

Thanks Glenn, my wife and I had a good laugh...

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#36 sd10521

sd10521

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2014 - 13:16

A while back I was working for a small high end contractor who would hire College Students for summer "help". One of the kids, the owners' nephew who was i his last year of a very prestigious university had no clue on how to read a ruler. They would shout a measurement at him and his whole brain would go to a swirling bowl of alphabet soup staring at the tape measure.

#37 j.a.j.

j.a.j.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2014 - 20:43

One does not need to be smart to use a ruler correctly.

I would like to make a guess that most incorrect measurements do not speak of lack of intelligence but lack of giving a (bleep).

Non notisi signi.

#38 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 13,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2014 - 00:00

I sure don't get it.  :unsure:

I distinctly remember about 50 years ago learning numbers in 2nd grade via a number line. Same principle.

MOST people have 10 fingers and 10 toes. That's twenty somethings to count on if you take your shoes off. Shirley Anyone could use their fingers and

toes to count the number of lines between inches and measure something.

It ain't Rocket Surgery.  ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#39 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2014 - 00:14

I'm wondering what the school systems teaches the youngsters these days?

#40 CraigR

CraigR

Bibliophile, Writer and Philosopher

• Member - Gold

• 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:19

Been accused of not being able to count past ten with shoes and pants on.  ;)

A consumer and purveyor of words. 

LetterExchange_sm.png

Blog -   https://agiftforwords.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook...up/146644665309

[Sponsored Content]