How Can Some People Be Sooo Stooopid?!

OcalaFlGuy

And of course, as I'm SURE you can imagine, :rolleyes: I'm talking about Fleabay sellers.

I realize of course, almost all of them aren't pen people and don't know a Parker 51 from an ironing board. I THINK I Already take that into account when communicating with them with questions.

I am trying (TRYING!) to find a P-51 for a member here.

This is usually my wording of the length question. "Would you please Carefully measure the pens length for me with it capped in the closed position. ("in the closed position" was added long ago as I Already knew they didn't know "capped" from an Avocado.)

I've had TWO sellers this morning come back with, "It's 5 3/4" long".

My ass it is.

At first, my poor brain did a 8 point roll just tryng to figure out how.in.the.hell they could Possibly get 5 3/4" with the largest most apparent closest real length being a full 1/2" less than that.

Of course, once I moved the safety cover off the STOOOPID switch and clicked it to ON, it came to me. :rolleyes: They measured it in the Posted position.

Please refer back to exactly how I worded the question. I ask you, how in the World could Anyone Possible construe "in the closed position" as being the same as "in the ready to write position".

How?! (See thread topic?)

Now, the Real insane part of this error is there is even LESS difference in the lengths of the two difference size pens Posted than Capped. So, the manner in which they erred makes the measuring they are already completely Incapable of even More critical than it was to begin with. ACKKK!

Sigh. I guess I will need to change the qualifier part of the question to "in the capped, closed, as you would put the pen in your pocket, position."

So sadly, the stark raving mad, foaming at the mouth rabid part is that I'm Still Actually having to wonder if That will be Clear Enough... Again, I'm not trying to convert these folks thinking to Penese, I just want them to tell me how damn long the pen is. This Should Not be That tough.

Ok, I'll go double dose on my meds now. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-And of course, *I'M* the one who so hard ass to the sellers. Sheesh, I wonder why. :rolleyes:

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• JotterAddict62

• kestrel

• CraigR

:D

I'm sure when our fellow member finally gets his new to him Burgundy or Black Demi 51, I will. ;) It'll all be worth it then.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I feel your pain Bruce :headsmack:

A few weeks ago, I had an ongoing discussion via e-mail with a seller about measuring a pen with a slip on cap in the closed position (capped). The pen in discussion was a Parker "21". The upshot of the discrepancy we were discussing was "how far onto the pen should the cap be pushed before measuring?" I noted that on the "21" I have on my desk, there could be a significant difference in measured length depending on how far onto the barrel the cap is seated.

How is that difference addressed when posting sizes or when asking for clarification from sellers?

Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

Maybe you should ask them to put the cap on the part of the pen that has the pointy metal thing sticking out? :D

Larry

How is that difference addressed when posting sizes or when asking for clarification from sellers?

Craig

You're just trying to push me the rest of the way off the edge aren't you Craig. :lticaptd:

Heck if I know. I keep flicking the STOOOPID switch back and forth between On and Off and I'm not getting another answer. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Maybe you should ask them to put the cap on the part of the pen that has the pointy metal thing sticking out? :D

Oh, That would be a Definite FAIL.

The jewel on the cap end comes somewhat to a point. Some sellers would Swear that jewel is metal. (There is a 51 who's jewel IS metal.)

Sorry Larry, that would only shoot them off Deep into the Galaxy of Flummoxed. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

So sadly, the stark raving mad, foaming at the mouth rabid part is that I'm Still Actually having to wonder if That will be Clear Enough... Again, I'm not trying to convert these folks thinking to Penese, I just want them to tell me how damn long the pen is. This Should Not be That tough.

I deal with i.diots on a regular basis...

Why don't you try the following:

"Dear Seller... I love the look of your pen, I would love to bid on it but I am not sure if this is a Full Size or the Demi model (smaller).. Do you mind measuring the pen (with the cap on) and tell me if the measurement is closer to SIZEA.. or ..SIZEB, Again Thanks so Much."

Key points:

1. Tell them you are ready to spend money on it (I would love to bid)

2. DON'T tell them which size you are looking for.

3. Be ohhh soooo polite is disgusting. :rolleyes:

If that doesn't work.... I'll eat my hat.... :lol:

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Bruce! You've got to give up eBay! It can't be doing your blood pressure any good at all. In fact, I think you ought to give up using fountain pens altogether and donate all your pens to me. You see, I'm only concerned for your well-being........... :-)

Marie

Verba volant, scripta manent

Bruce, I feel your pain. And it's not just Fleabay sellers.

I picked up what turned out to be a late-model Parker Parkette (for those not familiar, think lever-fill version of a P21) recently at an antiques mall about an hour and a half from me. It was a good price, IMO -- but the woman in the store told me it was a Parker 50 (because she saw the date code and thought that was the model number). It didn't make a difference to me -- the pen looked to be in good condition. But I should have had the warning bells go off in my head, since one of the other items in the store (and in her own booth, at that) was a hackle -- a tool used for removing the outer coat of flax stalks to get to the fiber strands at the core -- that she had listed as a "wool comb". And she completely blew me off when I pointed this out to her. It looked to be in great condition, but *not* worth the price she was asking for it; plus, I didn't want to patronize her booth at that point (the pen was at a different booth). Sigh.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Bruce, your topics always make me laugh, cry, and think.

Remember there is a song by REO Speedwagon called 157 Riverside Ave. [ There are so many studio/live versions out there ]

The one version I have from A Decade of Rock & Roll 1970-1980 and the one line says [ I have to speak in their language ]

to paraphrase. So Bruce you will have to regress to a primitive language [ Dumbing Down ( See Wikipedia )] so you can communicate with the primitive.

Now this topic had me go look and measure my Parker 51 Demi's and this is what I have come up with.

1] Parker Cordovan Brown 51 Vac [date code 7] measures 4 3/4 inches posted [Approx]

2] Parker Burgundy 51 Aero [date code missing] measures 5 1/16 inches posted [Approx]

3] Parker Forest Green 51 Aero [ date code 8 ] measures 5 1/16 inches posted [Approx]

4] Parker Dark Burgundy 51 Aero [date code missing] measures 5 1/16 inches posted [Approx]

Looking in the Parker51 book had to change the Cordovan Brown Aero to Dark Burgundy

But to me it looks a Cordovan Brown......

Please Bruce do not let your head explode as we would all miss all your fun topics.

Ken

Edited by JotterAddict62

Bruce! You've got to give up eBay! It can't be doing your blood pressure any good at all. In fact, I think you ought to give up using fountain pens altogether and donate all your pens to me. You see, I'm only concerned for your well-being........... :-)

Marie

You're always such a sweet lady looking out for me Marie. I need all the help I can get you know.

This was just an especially jolting pothole on the Fleabay Expressway, exasperated by the frustration of an especially low tide of the requested Black or Burgundy Demi Aeros. :(

I did finally get both of the sellers two brain synapses to make contact [1] and got good measurements, one Was a Demi but not the preferred color(s), the other was Burgundy but a Full Size. And he goes down swinging. No problem, there'll be more at bats in this game. :thumbup:

[1] One seller is a 10,000 seller. His main body description if one of those commercial premade ones that on my computer is Massively shifted to the right and cuts off the last couple letters of each sentence. :wacko: His 5 3/4" was a typo that should have been 5 3/8". You can't even count on the high volume pros to measure or type...

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Gary, if you mean asking the seller for a pic of say the pen next to a ruler, yeah, that Would Be nice.

There are plenty of listings that do that. But, if you see enough of those, there are issues with that seemingly good idea too. If the angle is off a bit or the pen isn't lined right up on the ruler, it doesn't do much good.

As I mentioned to Inkstainedruth in the Plummer thread in Parkerville, you also have to watch being (what the seller perceives as) a PIA bidder. Then they either just won't answer any more questions or they may even ban you from bidding sensing you are going to be some kind of future problem child for them.

There is a seller right now we are discussing in Parkerville who is likely just pi****g away maybe $150 just because after 2 very needed questions he has copped a 'tude and become a deaf mute. :rolleyes:

This morning, and usually, I've found the best way to deal with it is just to Try and stay calm (yes, I CAN actually Do that :P ) and explain to them why they didn't sufficiently answer the question and why it's important. In doing so on another listing, I gave the seller some info on 51 smilie marks [1] that he ended up being very appreciative of.

[1] What causes them and why with a 51 the (still in this specific case,) loose clip is More of a PIA.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Sorry, I meant how about sending them a pic of a capped pen?

But I certainly agree that someone will screw up even the simplest request.

gary

"Nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently persistent fool."

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Hey, Bruce, by the by, if you hear of anyone who has a 51 demi aero cap (any condition) for sale as a part, let me know, OK? I got a capless cocoa a year or so ago that still needs to find its other half...

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

JES, have you checked with Ernesto Soler at Parker51.com?

I'll keep my eyes open for you for sure.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Talk about uninformed;

eBay item number:
Get 'em Bruce
Set them straight...
Looks like all sellers others listings are alright. Just must be a wrong cut & paste job
on the listing.. Don't be too hard on the seller..
Edited by JotterAddict62

Wow, that's a beautiful green Parker. It's a pity that some ignorant fool has personalised it with their name engraved on the clip. :rolleyes: