Fountain Pens Are For Old People?!

william2001

I thought being "hipster" was cool now. I'm still at school myself but people seem to think fountain pens are cool, since everyone's gone hipster now.

Edited by perth

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• william2001

• pajaro

• LisaN

• napalm

I am old but in the last six months have given fountain pens to two friends in their 20s who love the gifts and, they and their friends, think the pens are what they call kewl.

Edited by setriode

When I was your age, I was one of the few who wrote with fountain pens. I bought them with paper route money ;-) But peer pressure was probably not as intense then as now, probably because I did not run with the mainstream crowd anyway.

Does your critic wear one of those cool straw fedoras? Well, that's actually a REAL old guys hat! Worn by the likes of Bing Crosby (Google him), along with goofy pants and sweaters, on the golf courses a half century ago ;-)

I'm 80, drank nickel Cokes in 1957 at Ft Hood, Texas, and have sent my children and then my grand children various fountain pens and The New Yorker when they went away to school. I don't think this plan has hurt any of them.

It did take a couple of years to get me off the 5 cokes a day daily habit, however, sometimes varied with an RC and a MoonPie.

Edited by Dickkooty2

I was having a normal day at summer camp, where many of my school classmates were attending.

When I was writing with my fountain pen, my friends said, "Oh, fountain pens are for old people. You are in middle school! Be modern and take a ballpoint pen out! Don't use that old fashioned pen."

I was so offended by that. :angry:

Of course a teenager can use an old fashioned pen!

You make me appreciate my friends! I had my first fountain pen when I was approximately six years old, and none of my friends have ever given me a hard time about any of my writing instruments choices. In fact, at six years of age, I remember my friends saying how "neat" my pen was; after that, I showed them how the pen worked and they ooh'd and aah'd about how the pen wrote. So, the solution, William, is that you need a better class of friends. LOL!

Well, actually, I believe that this may be related to your generation more than anything as, this past semester, my students (college age) did not even know what a fountain pen was; this was brought to light during some data analysis during my statistics class (this was not textbook data but rather real-life data that I had found/collected). Most folks tend to use disposable pens/pencils (YUK!) rather than using fountain pens and fine writing instruments, and I believe that this is directly related to the movement away from teaching cursive in grade school. When writing is not looked upon as a pleasurable endeavor, one does not "invest" in writing equipment such as pens and stationery. These days, folks send text messages and emails rather than writing letters. A letter is personal as it takes time to craft while the text message and the email are impersonal, even mechanical. I have always enjoyed writing letters to friends and family, and I do not communicate with friends and family via text message and email; I have never sent a text message, and I have blocked the sending/receiving of text messages from my phone, iPads, and 3G-enabled laptops.

It does amuse me that, since I started using an "old fashioned pen" at six years of age, I have been "old people" for all but six years of my life based on your friends' standard. Hmm, I never thought of myself as "old people" but I will say that it is a nice group to which to belong. Be patient with your friends and try to educate and elevate them so that they can join the "old people" as taking pleasure in their writing and note taking via an "old fashioned pen" will help them to enjoy and excel in their studies through middle school, into high school and college, and beyond. : )

Edited by elysee

I was having a normal day at summer camp, where many of my school classmates were attending.

When I was writing with my fountain pen, my friends said, "Oh, fountain pens are for old people. You are in middle school! Be modern and take a ballpoint pen out! Don't use that old fashioned pen."

I was so offended by that. :angry:

Of course a teenager can use an old fashioned pen!

I know that it's an obvious question, but do you think fountain pens are for "older" people?

I think fountain pens are user-friendly and anyone at any age can use it.

-William S. Park

P.S.: Now, now. I know that this post is going to cause trouble, since I never defined "old." AND if I define "old," it is going to cause more trouble. What I mean is a person older that me. I'm 13 years old by the way.

EDIT: grammar issues.

Facts:

1. Fountain pens are for people at any age.

2. You are still quite immature to be offended by silly comments like this. Its okay, you are only 13 years old. You will come to realize in a few years or more that comments like that are made to be ignored, people who make these comments are meant to be ignored. Life will be a lot easier once you stop being bothered by the little things.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

Ah, peer pressure.

You should be using...

You should be doing...

You should have....

My reaction, back then and now is always the same.

"Oh? OK. Thanks for telling me. I don't want to, though."

In the end, only the people who respect your choices are worth being around.

My teenagers love fountain pens. The 16 yr. old takes them to school, and 11 yr. old (not quite a teen yet) doesn't only because she is afraid they will get stolen. To be fair she's not yet accomplished at keeping up with her things.

Your friends probably want you to use a ballpoint so they will have a chance to snag your fountain pen.

Edited by Christi0469

When I was writing with my fountain pen, my friends said, "Oh, fountain pens are for old people. You are in middle school! Be modern and take a ballpoint pen out! Don't use that old fashioned pen." I was so offended by that.

William, to a 13 year old, 18 is old. It was said to provoke a reaction and it worked. You can say that styles come and go and fountain pens are back. Why don't they know that? Or, buy a couple of super-cheap plastic Jinhao's and when somebody makes a similar comment, tell 'em they are jealous and want a fountain pen of their own. Give them a Jinhao with no ink and watch 'em try to figure out how to use it.

Two of my kids, both younger than you, gave Platinum Preppies to friends as end of school year gifts. Their friends admired their fountain pens all year long. Don't be offended; enjoy your position out front.

Buzz

Yes.

Fred

...being Ron Kuby appears to mean never having to say you're sorry.

~ Steve Blank ~

And I ain't usin' the same pens..today or yesterday...............................

Listenin' to Doc Watson ---'Last Thing On My Mind'

When I was in the primary school, I was the ONLY one using fountain pen. There was those talk, but who cares?

When I was in junior school, I started to use rapidograph. Not because of those bad talks but I like it after I tried my tutor rapidograph (I did not know the variety of fountain pens available back then) and those rapidograph served me well till college graduation.

When I started work, i stopped using rapidograph as it was impractical and fear of dropping it was high (you know the cost of the nib for these things). Then few years at work I found there are big varieties of fountain pen. I am enjoying it again.

Many of friends dont understand and do not know how to use them anyway, but why should I give up my fountain pens?

BTW Old fashioned is not negative. Values like honesty is old fashioned, but I believe you agree that it is good.

Oh also consider the positive image of fountain pens exclusivity, prestige, elegance, luxury, success, and many more......

Let your friend enjoy bic stick and yourself enjoy the luury of fountain pens (and if your friends interested, why not share the luxury)

Another thing, if you were to become a CEO of a big company, would you prefer to sign an important document with bic stick or fountain pen? For me the answer is obvious (unfortunately I am not a CEO) :D

Edited by fpenluver

Another thing, if you were to become a CEO of a big company, would you prefer to sign an important document with bic stick or fountain pen? For me the answer is obvious (unfortunately I am not a CEO) :D

The only thing for which the Bic stick is useful is lending to those who ask to borrow a pen, never for personal use.

Of course young boy, they are for us the olders, paradoxicaly, we have more time to treat them in its proper ways, but yo can use them too with absolute delight, pleasure and confidence.

Oh, by the way, if I called you "old", what I actually meant is "older." My apologies.

I know that a 14 years old teen is not "old."

-William S. Park

Edited by william2001

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Just what i did back in my school years.

The only thing for which the Bic stick is useful is lending to those who ask to borrow a pen, never for personal use.

Just look at your classmate with condescension while saying "ignoramus", works every time.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I am quite a bit older, 68 and march to the tune of a different drummer also. I use fountain pens all the time, and honestly have only seen two or three others in the last few years using a fountain pen. They sometimes bring on a comment, mostly positive

I also use old fashioned double and or single edge razors, and occasionally a straight razor.

If you like the pens, go for it and do not worry about others.

Regards

Jeff

At some schools it is still compulsory to use Fountain pens. We all had to use them until we reached sixth form (16). So it isn't necessarily old folk who have to use them.

Great topic!

Any fool can snag a ballpoint pen from a bank or a hotel, or the kitchen junk drawer. Bic ballpoints are $7 for a box of 60 at US office supply stores. But writing with a fountain pen means personally owning a fountain pen- and keeping up with and maintaining something non-disposable.

<gnome_voice>

"It is a precious possession."

<\gnome_voice>

Even if it is not expensive.

Edited by LisaN

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.