My Experience With The Pilot Vpen

andreasn

I just got my hands on two pilot vpens and i'd like to share my experience with them. Overall their very good, though the quality seems a little inconsistent since one of them has a much scratchier nib.

They are quite smooth but not as smooth as the lamy safari. Their weight takes some getting used to because they feel lighter than a feather to write with (i know since iv written with quills i made myself). There is also a wierd where on some papers the line is really wide but on others it's quite thin.

Overall it's a good pen for carrying around clipped to a pocket notebook or when you just need something you don't have to worry about. But their build quality is awfull and the looks arent great so it's not going to be my favorite pen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinysnail

• Amyj

• Icywolfe

• andreasn

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of Vpens as well and my experience basically mirrors yours. I like having pens I can just toss around in my bag or let other people try without worrying about it at all. I've given some away to friends and family members to introduce them to fountain pens and it's always been a hit!

Are you going to try taking it apart and refilling it yourself once the supplied ink runs out? I'm considering that. It would be a cool way to try out ink samples, at least.

Is the Vpen the same as the Varsity?

If so the feed is a very non fountain pen like feed. Well when I last opened a Varsity up it had a nylon (?) wick touching the Nib.

#Nope

The V-Pen is definitely a great pen to have just as a spare, or even to lend to people.

As to the problems you mentioned,

1. If you have a notebook with a slightly rough cardboard back, you can scribble your scratchy nib on that to smooth it out a bit. (VERY fine grit sandpaper works too, or brown bags. Either way, the nib will eventually be molded to fit your writing style as time goes on.)

2. The line variation is normal, different papers have different absorbancy rates. On some papers, your line might seem fine, on others, you'll just about double your writing size.

3. Some people have talked about painting the pen, of all the methods I've heard, I think spray paint might work best.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files