M100 - Pre 1997 - Confirm Identity?

Moonraker

I just picked up a new bird - new to me. It's a smaller black/black with chrome trim M100 - I think. And I believe it's pre-1997 but post 1990? it doesn't say W GERMANY, just GERMANY. It appears unused, in excellent shape. I'm really stoked about this one.

Can someone help me confirm this?

Thank you!

BP

post-114590-0-57579000-1405527343_thumb.jpgpost-114590-0-10666500-1405527341_thumb.jpgpost-114590-0-39026600-1405527342_thumb.jpgpost-114590-0-70096500-1405527344_thumb.jpgpost-114590-0-69430200-1405527507_thumb.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moonraker

• sargetalon

• kernando

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is indeed a black M100. All M100's are from the pre-'97 era. Great pen. Enjoy.

post-95756-0-54463200-1405562901_thumb.jpg

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Thank you sarge! I'm a little surprised at how fine the "medium" is on this pen, don't know if that has been your experience as well.

Sarge

What is the diameter of the barrel of the M100.

I have been looking but have not been able to find that number.

I have small hands, so the barrel size is pretty important to me, especially when I can't hold the pen prior to purchase.

thanks.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

m100 body, but m150 gold plated nib. So now you have to get an m100 plain steel nib and an m150 body.

Measuring an m100 in inches, I'd say the section width ahead of the threads is more than 3/8" and less than 7/16".

http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-pelikan-modell-m75-m250.html

Werner puts the barrel width at 11mm. For m200 it says 12mm. It doesn't sound like much, but it's noticeable. But then the m300 is clearly skinnier.

The diameter is about 11mm best I can tell. I have larger hands and find the pen comfortable but I don't think small hands would have any difficulty weilding one of these. Kernando is right in that the nib is not the original, non-plated nib but that is simply a matter of aesthetics. A correct nib for the model should not be too difficult to source if that is your desire.The pen itself is otherwise correct. I find that the modern Pelikans right a touch larger than their designation. My experience with the older nibs though is, like you, the opposite. I have many older mediums which tend towards the fine side which I rather enjoy.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

Thank you for pointing out the M150 nib! I would have otherwise never known. Kernando is right, now I need an M150 body for my nib and an M100 steel nib!

It's fortuitous how my bird collection needs to grow...

Many nice M150's out there if you can track them down. The black and burgundy seem to be the most commonly found. If you fancy a demo, the Bols is quite lovely.

post-95756-0-56031600-1405624629_thumb.jpg

post-95756-0-28315200-1405624688_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys for the dimension.

That 11mm sounds just right for me.

When I'm up close to my cut-off size, every mm is important.

12mm is marginal FAT for me.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I think that gold nib is what threw me off..... Kept thinking M150, but the furniture was wrong.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Brings up a good question, what other size nib units is this nib unit interchangeable with? M200, M400? M600? Just curious if all pelikan nib units are interchangeable.

Nope, pretty much. There are charts and measurements, but 200/400 have the same width of threads as 150/100, but the nibs are longer, and you'd have to check the cap carefully first to make sure it doesn't crunch. You can stick the m150 nib into an m200. It'll work and just look slightly short.

That blue demo is for me! I'm going to search for that one!

Only 3000 were made but they are out there. I believe Regina Martini has a couple for sale on her site but they are not cheap.

Brings up a good question, what other size nib units is this nib unit interchangeable with? M200, M400? M600? Just curious if all pelikan nib units are interchangeable.

The M100 nibs will fit into M2xx, M4xx, M6xx as well as some others but those other nibs will not fit well into an M100. They will screw into the section, that's not the problem. The length of an M2xx nib would have the tip of the nib just bang into the top of the cap on an M100 when the cap is screwed all the way on. I've verified this with my M150 Bols demo. For that reason, I would only you M1xx nibs in M1xx pens.

Got it. I'll get the M100 nib with the 2 chicks that's not gold plated to make this M100 original again.

Thanks for the info!