Is It Just Me? Fp Miracle! :o

SkylarKnight

So I've gotten my not-so-long awaited nibs just a while ago, and miracles started happening. Needless to say, I write with nothing but the pen now (it's a.. hand made pen I attached the nib to, and use it as a dip pen).

Ever since I started writing with this pen, which is roughly a week's time, I've seen my fond change quite a bit.

Here I provide an example of my writing with two normal pens and the dip pen.

I know my font has a looong way to go, I haven't even started on practicing cursive, so for now this is all I have, but it's better than used to be!

What do you think?

Photo I submitted to "What does your handwriting look like"

http://oi62.tinypic.com/28b9s1d.jpg

Current writing
http://i60.tinypic.com/21jucjs.jpg

(Forgive the tearing of the page. My nib is a stub, and since I am not yet used to it, it happens that I press to hard, tear the page a bit, and sometimes have a bit of paper stick and make my letters thicker ^^"

Also forgive me for the size of the pictures ^^" still have no idea how to re-size them so it's not too bit and not too small.)

Edited by SkylarKnight

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png
Hey! I'm Skylar! I am quite new to all of this, but am a very friendly person :3
If you wanna exchange snail-mail, my 'about me' in on page 51 on the snail mail list, and if you like what you see - pm me!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkylarKnight

• Cryptos

• drssalahuddin

• Mezzie

My handwriting has definitely improved post-fountain pen. I only rarely have to provide "translation services" to my students who try to read my comments on their papers.

Don't get me wrong -- my handwriting is still atrocious. Now it's just mostly legibly atrocious. :)

Haha! I feel ya!

I find a few of my letters are troublesome (s, italic B, K) but other than that in a while with an FP my handwriting looks much better than with a ballpoint. I also enjoy the thinner lines and line variations :)

TBH I found that with my FP, my G, J and Y changed - I rarely curve them up now, I just draw the line straight down, which I think looks stylish ;)

Hey! I'm Skylar! I am quite new to all of this, but am a very friendly person :3
If you wanna exchange snail-mail, my 'about me' in on page 51 on the snail mail list, and if you like what you see - pm me!

If you'll illustrate your "troublemakers" (s, italic B, K, and whatever others may give you trouble), I'll do my best to help.

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><em class='bbc'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'> <br><b><i><a href="http://pen.guide" target="_blank">Check out THE PEN THAT TEACHES HANDWRITING </a></span></strong></em></span></a><br><br><br><a href="

target="_blank">Video of the SuperStyluScripTipTastic Pen in action

If you'll illustrate your "troublemakers" (s, italic B, K, and whatever others may give you trouble), I'll do my best to help.

Haha! I have troubles with all of those, tbh. My numbers are a mess - when I write fast they're pretty much a blur ^^" And I have no idea how to write italics whatsoever.. Neither do I know cursive. I made this post just to show how different my handwriting is with my nibs, but if you offer, I'd love the help~

I think you should choose paper and ink carefully. The last picture shows a certain level of feather.

For me, that affects my writing mood seriously.

Your handwriting is getting better, congrats!

Wish you enjoy your new fountain pen and never turn back to your ballpoint lol.

- L

I think you should choose paper and ink carefully. The last picture shows a certain level of feather.

For me, that affects my writing mood seriously.

Your handwriting is getting better, congrats!

Wish you enjoy your new fountain pen and never turn back to your ballpoint lol.

- L

I like my current ink, totally fine with it. (Parker Quink)

I cannot really choose my paper, though, since I don't have the money to spend on a good notebook =\ I write in my school notebooks, and am trying to figure out what would be best for those. I figured a dry pen would be good in those, which is why I am now using my Duke 209 fude nib pen and writing in reverse when I use this particular notebook (since it produces a very thin line, just how I like it, and is very dry -at least my particular pen-)

Thank you! I do indeed enjoy it :) I turned my back to ballpoints and roller balls the moment I could afford a fountain pen ;)

Just showing off how different my font looks with the Duke 209. I find each pen makes my handwriting look different. I think I like the Duke's one the best so far. I'll keep writing with it, and hopefully next scan will look nicer.

I think any EF pen will look like this, tbh.. I like the EF line... and I like writing small :3

Anyways, here's the picture.
(I think every picture my text leans a little further right.......................)

http://i57.tinypic.com/2z9ighy.jpg

I'mma update this thread with scans from time to time to show my progress..

Edited by SkylarKnight

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit you are working hard, and it shows. If I may I'd like to tell you what was told to me that I found most helpful.

1) Go slow, really slow.

2) When you see something (word/letter) you don't like, write it over and over making small changes until you are satisfied.

3) Practice. A lot, as in all the time. I carry a notebook everywhere I go. If I have a few moments I write. Anything. Names, poetry, song lyrics, notes to people (even if you won't send it), anything.

If the above doesn't work, draw your words/letters. Treat each as a special detail in your picture. You actually have a benefit many of us wish to have. We have had time to perfect bad habits. So before we can learn, we must unlearn. The FPN exist for you, literally. We are here for each other, you are part of us. Ask any questions you have, we are here.

Paul

BTW I like to look at different fonts on the internet. I don't download them, but I will copy them with my pens. dafont.com has many, many to look at. You are building your own hand, it is perfectly fine to pick and choose whole letters and portions to suit yourself. Good luck.

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Hey Skylar, I think you are doing great! The learning part can be really fun, sometimes a little frustrating, but mostly fun!

You think your writing is shocking. Have a look at this. I got my grubby little hands on a Mabie Todd Blackbird and the nib is all springy and everything. Very hard for me to control and so my writing is awful. I don't know how people get fine lines out of these things but I have some Zebra G nibs on the way so I can practice with those. Anyway, here is the sample (for those of a sensitive disposition, please look away now: you have been warned!)

fpn_1406529394__untitled.png

Ink is Eclat de Saphir (J.Herbin)

Paper is Rhodia No.16

Lighting is one of those longlife light-bulb thingies

Camera is an early Nikon Coolpix (marginally better than a Daguerrotype, but only marginally)

Photo edited on the 'puter as it was unreadable (see 'lighting')

Writing is all my own fault (hangs head in shame)

Edited by Cryptos

Hey Skylar, I think you are doing great! The learning part can be really fun, sometimes a little frustrating, but mostly fun!

You think your writing is shocking. Have a look at this. I got my grubby little hands on a Mabie Todd Blackbird and the nib is all springy and everything. Very hard for me to control and so my writing is awful. I don't know how people get fine lines out of these things but I have some Zebra G nibs on the way so I can practice with those. Anyway, here is the sample (for those of a sensitive disposition, please look away now: you have been warned!)

fpn_1406529394__untitled.png

Ink is Eclat de Saphir (J.Herbin)

Paper is Rhodia No.16

Lighting is one of those longlife light-bulb thingies

Camera is an early Nikon Coolpix (marginally better than a Daguerrotype, but only marginally)

Photo edited on the 'puter as it was unreadable (see 'lighting')

Writing is all my own fault (hangs head in shame)

Holy cow named Molly! This is beautiful!

I thought my handwriting was shocking, since it looks so different so quick, but this is something else!

I also have a very springy nib, and I figured that to get very thin lines from it you have to literally put NO PRESSURE on the nib - Just enough for it to be steady. Doing that and writing really slowly while being aware of the pressure you put on the nib will help you :) It is taking me very long to learn that, so I tend to put no pressure atm, and have my lines be very distorted, since I don't know what the right pressure it for me.. (I have several springy nibs, each one needs different amount of pressure....)

The learning part is amazing :) I am enjoying every moment! There is no day I don't take out my pens and write something with them, whether it is translating something for my mother, writing a letter to my penpal (it's uhh... a WIP... over the course of a week..), writing a letter to Art who volunteered to grind and adjust nibs in the PIF thread, or just writing whatever comes to mind (yesterday I was trying to make a signature for my handmade stamp :D). I admit I haven't been working on my handwriting yet, but I don't wanna write on my lined school paper, it feathers too much, and I cannot print custom paper for now.. Excuses, excuses, I know :P But since my computer broke, what better way to spend my time than writing stuff? (I am writing on my dieing computer right now, it's literally burning... I'm keeping it steady with a million fans I hooked inside it and a mini fan blowing on it...)

Paul, I am sorry I didn't reply to you for so long. Thank you for your tips, I will definitely incorporate them in my practice :) I will also visit the website you sent me.

Well that is very kind of you to say, Skylar, but it only looks superficially okay. If you look carefully you will see shaky lines, inconsistent sizing, inconsistent spacing, lack of coherent style, and on and on...

I guess the thing is whether you are seeking absolutely perfect pitch writing or something with which you are just really happy. I have had an attempt at some italic writing with a stub nib, and once again it looks okay but not really very standard or anything. For me that is part of the fun. I don't necessarily want to write like everyone else, I want my own hand to be seen. Of course, if I had the time and patience it would be a good idea to learn some of the basic strokes, but... I have neither the time nor the patience, alas!

You are right about the flex nib though. I find if I try to lighten my hand I end up putting no ink on the paper!! It's a bit of a dilemma. More practice needed no doubt.

Good to see so many handwriting enthusiasts here. I have been practicing gothic and italic with obligue nibs for quite sometime and recently taken up copperplate. Still practicing with noodlers ink semi flex nib, though the results are not that impressive, I'll let you all have a look.

post-115112-0-08974500-1406936796_thumb.jpg

post-115112-0-95804100-1406937508_thumb.jpg

post-115112-0-36149800-1406937514_thumb.jpg

post-115112-0-72189900-1406937531_thumb.jpg

When I write slowly and concentrate on shaping letters the way I want them to appear, my writing improves.

I am more likely to do this, when I enjoy the act of writing. Sometimes, using an italic nib introduces an

uncontrolable "swoosh". Try playing music when you write. See what the effect might be.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

My advice to Skylar would be-to follow the three 'P's of penmanship-

1) Patience- write slowly to start with, and take your time shaping the letters

2) Practice-keep writing whenever you get chance- I'm a surgeon and am quite busy but I keep my Noodlers ink flex nib with me all the time and write even in theatre, specially the nurses names( get better assistance during surgery!!!)

3) Persistence- Have a "never give up" attitude, and keep writing, you will definite improve with time.

See you. And good luck.

I like my current ink, totally fine with it. (Parker Quink)

I used a lot of Parker Quink in the past. Eventually, I figured out that there are a lot better inks out there that are better behaved and represent a better purchase for the dollars spent. It IS addicting, though.

-Bruce

Edited by FLZapped

I used a lot of Parker Quink in the past. Eventually, I figured out that there are a lot better inks out there that are better behaved and represent a better purchase for the dollars spent. It IS addicting, though.

-Bruce

Definitely is. I got some ink samples, Diamine, MB, PR, Noodler's... I can say that Quink is inferior tho those by far :( And it also behaves worse in my pens :(