Asoka Fountain Pens From Tenali, Andhra Pradesh, India

shrujaya

Late 2007 was when I got introduced to handmade Indian ebonite fountain pens and gradually learnt about the various handmade fountain pen brands and manufacturers in Andhra Pradesh (now the state is demerged into Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, with Hyderabad in the new state of Telangana & Tenali, Rajahmundry, Guntur, Vijayawada in residual Andhra Pradesh). All of a sudden I was afflicted with fountainpenitis and after that for the next couple of years I was in a kind of frenzy. I learnt about fountain pens made in places like Rajahmundry, Warangal, Tenali, Vijayawada, Guntur, Machilipatnam, and around two or three in Hyderabad. Then on I made it my mission to track down and own at least a couple of samples of each of these brands. Hyderabad and Rajahmundry were easy, mainly because the brands were still in existence…Deccan, Ratnam, Ratnamson, & Guider. What proved to be very difficult was the brands from places like Tenali, Guntur, Vijayawada, Warangal, etc. I used to hound and harass my friends and colleagues for information. Through this process of cajoling and my own stubbornness, I managed to track down and find and finally own brands like Prasad, Merlin, Swarna, Brahmam, & Sandeep. Asoka from Tenali was eluding me and through a colleague I managed to gain a foothold in Tenali … and I got within sniffing distance of owning an Asoka fountain pen, but alas …

Here is the initial part of my post on Prasad Pens (written in November 2008) which narrates my initial foray into the world of fountain pens from Tenali …

(I thought the name was spelt ‘Ashoka,’ but realized recently that it is ‘Asoka’)

--- FLASHBACK ALERT --- FLASHBACK ALERT ---

It was a PM by Hari in my mail box on Fountain Pen Network that sent me on this hunt. In the PM, he sent me a URL which mentioned the name of a pen brand in Andhra Pradesh called Ashoka Pens based in a town called Tenali. I enquired at the pen shops in Hyderabad and none of them had this pen and most of them hadn’t even heard of this brand. I then decided to take another route. I teach in a college in Hyderabad and a fair number of my colleagues are from other small and large towns in Andhra Pradesh who have gravitated to the capital city. After numerous enquiries, I discovered that a member of our library staff is from Tenali. When I asked her if she knew anything about Ashoka Pens, she gave me a blank look and then told me that she had left Tenali long years ago and had settled in Hyderabad and that she’d call up and ask her uncle, who lives in Tenali.

After a couple of days, she gave a phone number and told me that her uncle had managed to get in touch with the proprietor of Ashoka Pens and asked me to call the number and speak to the proprietor. I spoke to him the same day and the news was not so good. He told me that he had closed down his pen manufacturing unit almost 6 years back and had sold away all his machinery and stock. He said his pen manufacturing unit couldn’t withstand the ballpoint pen revolution and since it was a small scale industry, almost like a cottage industry, it couldn’t sustain prolonged sluggishness in business. I felt very sad and asked him if he had at least a couple of FPs for my collection and for posterity. He said that even he doesn’t have a sample of the pens manufactured by him and that his friend had taken away the lone FP he had. I continued the talk for a little while more, prodding his memory in the hope that he’d remember some forgotten cache where he had stowed away some pens. No such luck.

--- FLASHBACK OVER ---

--- BACK TO THE PRESENT ---

But I must say that though I did not get any Asoka pens at that time, the once-owner of Asoka pens put me in touch with the owner of Prasad pens and that’s how I managed to get hold of Prasad fountain pens … it is all in there in my 3-part post on Prasad pens on my blog (November 2008) … go on…take a look…here are the links … (if you want it on FPN, see here)

http://www.jaisiri.blogspot.in/2008/11/fountain-pens-of-ap-prasad-pens-part-1.html

http://www.jaisiri.blogspot.in/2008/11/fountain-pens-of-ap-prasad-pens-part-2.html

http://www.jaisiri.blogspot.in/2008/11/fountain-pens-of-ap-prasad-pens-part-3.html

After this touch and go, I kind of gave up hope of owning an Asoka pen … but I didn’t stop talking or thinking about it … Hari and I would discuss this on and off and of course, whenever I used to speak with Mr Lakshmana Rao of Guider Pens, Rajahmundry, other Andhra Pradesh-based fountain pen brands and their current state would invariably feature in our conversations. I used to tell him about the different brands that I managed to find and those that I was still searching for and Asoka was one of the brands that I told him about. I lamented that I got as far as meeting the owner, but could not get any pens. And when I met Mr Lakshmana Rao again last year in May, he sprang a delightful surprise … after all the discussions about the new Guider models that he had showed me…all those new acrylic Jumbos and Kids… and as I was leaving, he gave me two ebonite pens and told me that these were for my collection … I saw the pens and was kind of became speechless for some time … these two were Asoka fountain pens … pens that I had been hunting for since 2008 … Mr Lakshmana Rao told me that he had them in his random collection of pens, but since he felt that I was so passionate about fountain pens from Andhra Pradesh and valued them more and moreover, would document them, he thought these pens deserved to be in my collection … it was such a spontaneous and magnanimous gesture from Mr Lakshmana Rao that I could only offer him my heartfelt gratitude …

At long last, here are the two Asoka fountain pens … I liked these pens at first sight … they had my favourite ball clip and flat top and end … these were enough for me to get going with …

These are simple ED filler fountain pens, but for me the historical value of these pens is much more significant … let’s look at the pens …

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/Asoka-1-capped_zpsff085367.jpg

I liked these pens at first sight … they had my favourite ball clip and flat top and end … these were enough for me to get going with …

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/Asoka-2-posted_zpsb5f6577d.jpg

Both Asokas posted ...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/Asoka-3-posted_zps0b2dae07.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/Asoka-4-clips_zps53d12337.jpg

The branding on the clips ... in fact, the branding is seen almost everywhere on the pen ... here, it is on the clips ...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/Asoka-5-nameonbarrel_zpsf6999673.jpg

Branding on the barrel with the name of the place of origin ...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/Asoka-6-nibs_zpsbdd2256c.jpg

The nibs ... it says Asoka Executive Tipped ... maybe there is Fine below Tipped ... I haven't taken out the nibs yet ...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/Asoka-7-nibs_zpsd00bc17f.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/Asoka-8-feeder_zps37665297.jpg

The feeders ... looks like the feeder maker didn't get the spelling right ...

So, finally, I managed to get Asoka pens into my collection and it is all thanks to Mr Lakshmana Rao ... thank you, sir ...

I do hope you liked what you saw and read ...

Shrujaya

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shrujaya

• Ghost Plane

• Seele

• Sridhar

These are lovely fountain pens....the woodgrain colour and grain weave is fascinating. Do you plan to write with them?

Shruraya, my jaw just dropped; they're undoubtedly worth your long hunt.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Interesting length of tines. I'm curious to know how they write.

If they're anything like the Reynolds pens - folded over stainless steel, rather than iridium tip - they'll lay down a fine line, and be fairly smooth on the page.

I have a number of pens with nibs like that; the linewidth ranges from F to M. All Bic FPs in my collection have nibs like that. I think they're crimped. They're all nice writers.

Those Asoka pens look really nice - interesting, fairly thin but long enough and hefty enough to provide a good writing experience... Enjoy the feeling of accomplishment, it is certainly well-deserved! And, I hope you will show us how they write...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Jai, thanks for posting this on FPN as well.

Were Asoka and Prasad related in any way?, they were from the same place Tenali after all. Prasad seems to be the more affluent of the two with with their brand stamped and tipped nibs. The Asoka nibs shown are of the butterfly tip type, not tipped, but that is OK, they will last indefinitely in the hands of a collector. :)

Prasad made some very similar pens: more pics here: link

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Prasad%20Pen/IMG_4088.jpg

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Dear Sridhar, Seele, Ghost Plane, Jamerelbe, mhguda, and Hari...

Thanks so much all of you for responding so warmly...

I am happy you appreciate the woodgrain colour on the brown pen, Sridhar...I don't plan to use these pens regularly, but I will surely put up a photo of the dipped writing sample...

Yes, Seele, the wait was worth it and thanks to Lakshmama Rao of Guider Pens...

I too was intrigued by the length of the tines, Ghost Plane, but then Hari informed me that these are untipped nibs called Butterfly Nibs and have a tendency to wear out fast...

Jamerelbe, I do hope the nibs are smooth...thanks for the added info about Reynolds Pens...

It was more of a feeling of having saved one more brand from the vicissitudes of time, mhguda...I do hope this doesn't sound too tall...yes, I will put up a writing sample soon...

Hari...thanks...as always...when I spoke with the Asoka people and the Prasad people separately, it didn't look as if they were related in any other way apart from conducting business in the same place, Tenali...and knowing each other professionally...

Thanks once again...

Shrujaya

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

• 1 year later...