Pelikan M1000 Xf Nib Ci Or Stub... Anyone Have One?

lowfiwhiteguy

I'm in the market for one of these and I'm dying to see how it writes, or any firsthand experiences. I'm really quite a fan of fine nibs, and I think this would compliment the M1000's springiness well since it can broaden out on the flourishes or firmer downstrokes in contrast to the tiny ~0.4mm CI line.

Any info appreciated! I'm having a hard time googling for testimonials on these.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lowfiwhiteguy

• Bo Bo Olson

• christinaofvermont

• da vinci

*UPDATE* my fortune cookie the other day said something about "go with your instincts" so I just placed an order for an M1000 nib ground to 0.4mm stub on Richard's site. I should be in the loony bin, but if it's a Binder then there's probsbly no such thing as being dissatisfied. Let's see how it goes.

IMO you won't see much stub or CI with such a skinny nib.

Especially with such a big heavy pen, such a skinny nib strikes me as odd.

The nib is springy to semi-flex as is. IMO You don't need to that in you get good line variation from the basic nib ...in EF.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I've owned several 0.4-0.5 CI nibs and they give tonnes of line variation, I was just wondering how people specifically found it on the M1000. My definition of a broad line is a stock Pelikan medium nib. I write quite small, and I love the feel and response of EF M1000 nibs. I know it's a rare request but I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun.

Also I'd like to add... from my experience, fine nibbed springy or flex pens actually give more line variation than a broad version of the same springy nib. This is because the standard, unflexed line is so miniscule as opposed to the width of the nib under maximum safe handling pressure, which is much more a function of the nib's springy character, not tipping width.

For instance it is entirely possible that:

A 1.1mm BB stub writes 1.1mm on the downstroke with no pressure. With pressure it may grow as wide as 2.0mm: This means it runs near 100% (<2x) wider at max flex.

A 0.4mm EF stub writes 0.4mm on the downstroke with no pressure. With pressure this can easily approach 1.5mm or more: 300+% (>3x) wider.

So yeah, in absolute terms, fines put out less ink... But relative to their "native" line width, they really can perform well, so long as you have appropriately small hand writing. There used to be some really great fine stub/CI writing examples on this board but they seem to have all turned into broken links now. Shame.

Edited by lowfiwhiteguy

To tell the truth a width of 1.1 or 0.4 makes no sense to me. I do not have the tools nor the inclination as an old dog to buy a tool and measure each nib I own....and what sort of line it makes with that ink on this paper.

EF, M or BB or BBB, I can understand, along with horseshoes. My 1.5 Joy nib I'd rate as a BBB

So how wide is an 0.4 and a 0.5 nib?

If those are F and M nibs, I get good shading from those with the proper inks. EF I don't. I do have OF nibs...but again those are F with flare.

I have a EF in a Geha 790 with a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex that I've not found the right ink for, but in it's EF I've not looked hard. I need a brighter ink in very narrow nibs. I only have one of each flex in EF. Outside of super-flex.

Mostly I deal with semi-vintage and vintage regular flex, semi-flex and 'flexi'/maxi semi-flex which are in the 3 X a light down stroke set.

I do expect a BB to flex it's tines 3 X over a light down stroke.

With semi-nails or "Springy" nibs I can understand they spread only 2 X a light down stroke.

I have less "Flex" nibs, but they go 4-5-6 or 7 X, which is another story. EF is common to find, and I have a Waterman 52 that goes from XXF in a super light hand to BBB but I don't press it more than BB.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a wonderful looking nib/ writing sample. Can a stub that fine also be smooth?

It's smooth as hell. Truth be told, though... Although I specified a 0.4mm stub, it does seem a little wider than previous sub-0.5mm points I've had. Richard says his width measurement is that of the line which the tip produces rather than the actual width of the tipping material. With any pressure at all it easily reaches into 0.6mm width, and if you do press down to get the "springiness" out of it, it approaches about 1mm. So its 0.4mm measurement is a lower limit rather than an actual nib size specification. I still love it..................... But I'm considering selling very soon. I'll explain why in another post, and it's nothing to do with the pen, because it's obviously perfect. I just have realised that after owning so many of these top end Pelikans (M800-M1000) that my interests lay elsewhere. I'm relatively new in the hobby and I think that I've now come to the conclusion that Pelikans are not my ideal preferrence, and that I'd prefer something more along the lines of a Japanese pen with extra-fine writing capabilities at a lower price.

More to follow. I feel a rant coming on. :P