Parker Striped Duofold Questions

Larry Barrieau

Hi, I got this Parker Duofold today from ebay and paid $24.50. I knew it didn't have a clip. It is about 5 3/8 in. /135mm and has the Imprint "Parker Duofold 5. Made in USA" The band has a chevron design on it and the nib says "Parker Pen Made in USA.

I think it was made in the early to mid forties. Any closer guesses?

I'd like suggestions on who to send it to for a new clip and any estimate on what it might cost.

Thanks very much. Sorry about the pictures.

Larry

Edited by Larry Barrieau

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Larry Barrieau

• Florida Blue

• faust41

• OcalaFlGuy

Yes, the 5. would be 3rd quarter of 1945. Since it has a chevron cap band it would be a Senior and would need a clip with a blue diamond (but not an arrow clip like on a Vac, a straight clip) to be correct.

You could try Danny Fudge. I actually just sent him a Senior-sized Striped Duofold for repair and he did an excellent job. I don't know if he could get the correct clip, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Thank you. Any estimate on the clip?

Larry, try the Lott's at 5 Star pens or Martin Ferguson at Ferguson's pens. [EDIT] For totally blown spelling.

It's a pretty common clip, I'd just guess in the $25-30 shipped area.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Thanks Bruce.

Hello. I'm looking at a Parker Dufold on eBay. It is silver striped and looks to be in good condition. I'm interested in getting a flex nib (and gold) and this one has a 14k flex nib.

How much should these go for? I do not own a Parker, in fact I am new to the fountain pen world. Does the vacumatic filling mean I put ink directly into the pen without a sac, cartridge, or converter?

Thank you for your knowledge and assistance for me to make an educated decision.

Hello. I'm looking at a Parker Dufold on eBay. It is silver striped and looks to be in good condition. I'm interested in getting a flex nib (and gold) and this one has a 14k flex nib.

How much should these go for? I do not own a Parker, in fact I am new to the fountain pen world. Does the vacumatic filling mean I put ink directly into the pen without a sac, cartridge, or converter?

Thank you for your knowledge and assistance for me to make an educated decision.

Are the stripes longitudinal or horizontal (like rings)?

1930s and 1940s Parkers are not known for having flex or flexible nibs. I might ask for a writing sample before I take the seller's word for it.

Value depends on the condition of the pen and what type it is. A picture or a more detailed description would help to determine value.

Vacumatics fill by placing the pen in a bottle of ink up to the section, removing the blind cap and pressing down on the plunger multiple times. The ink is held in the barrel. Air is removed when the plunger is pressed down extending a rubber diaphragm that pushes the air out. When the plunger is released the diaphragm contracts creating a vacuum that sucks up ink.

The filling instructions on Richard Binder's site should help you:

http://richardspens.com

Also, unless the pen is described as being "restored" assume it is not and will need to be restored by a professional. The cost of replacing the diaphragm in a Parker Vac is around $20 to $40.

Hope this helps :)

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I'm glad to hear I got my money's worth, thanks Thomas.

Florida blue,

The stripes run horizontally, like silver rings around the pen. The seller seems to know a bit about pens, his name is penguy34. Just in case anyone has purchased from him before. I will see if I can capture a pic or get pics sent and post them. It sounds like a very interesting pen, but at 99.50, it is a gamble, especially for a newbie at this. Thank you so much for your knowledge and guidance.

I was going to use this striped duofold to be my first attempt at reconditioning a vacumatic. Now that I've see the pen in person, I'm wondering if I should get another vacumatic that is not as nice and practice on that. If you think that this is a good idea, what should I look for? I think I'd like to find a junkie one that might not get back to writing condition but I would have at least gone through the steps to familiarize myself with the process. Any advice on what kind of pen?

Thanks.

Larry

Florida blue,

The stripes run horizontally, like silver rings around the pen. The seller seems to know a bit about pens, his name is penguy34. Just in case anyone has purchased from him before. I will see if I can capture a pic or get pics sent and post them. It sounds like a very interesting pen, but at 99.50, it is a gamble, especially for a newbie at this. Thank you so much for your knowledge and guidance.

It's sounds like a Vacumatic, not a Duofold, in Silver Pearl. If the pen is fully restored and in good cosmetic condition then $100 is not bad, but of course pictures always help.

Any advice on what kind of pen?

Maybe a later (1940s) singled jeweled model in a common color like black, Silver or Golden Pearl. These are pretty common. You can ask for tips and help in the repairs sub-forum.

Thank you, I'll be on the lookout.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I finally got the tools to finish this job. The pen is the prettiest one I have and it writes like it looks. I found a clip for it ($20) and I got the brass to make an ejection tool to get the stubborn filler out. Worked like a charm. (Thanks to Richard Binder and his great website.) And thanks to all of you for your help.

Larry

Larry - Nice looking pen, I always liked the striped Duofolds. Better than the pen itself, you have the satisfaction of knowing you made it work! Bet you're itching to do another, right? Be careful, next thing you know you've got pen parts strewn all about the place, more parts in the mail, and more tools for pens than for home improvement. Of course, this is all conjecture on my part...

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Congrats Larry! Another job well done! Pen looks wonderful. It's funny why some collectors look at the Vac Duofolds as a step down from Vacs. I think they desere a shelf of their own right next to the Vacumatics. Maybe not as much variation in sizes and colors, but they're as smooth and attractive as their siblings.

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

Beautiful job!

The Senior size Duovacs are quite sought after and can get somewhat pricey, but I agree with Clayton that overall they don't seem to be as appreciated as the Vacumatic line.

Thank you all. bsenn - Yes I would like to do another and soon. I know I'll swing and miss more than once but the two vac's I've tried have given me confidence to do some more. Conjecture is becoming reality. Yay!

Larry