What Is "harmonic Steel"?

markh

I've seen several references recently to "harmonic steel nibs."

Can anyone tell me what this is, and how it effects pen nibs??

thnx,

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serpent

• markh

• Bo Bo Olson

• OLD TIMER

Top Posters In This Topic

They must be kept well clear of all Tesla resonators.

No, I don't actually know, but it is probably marketing nonsense.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

A little Google searching convinces this is a real metal quality - something about springs returning to their original shape.

http://www.metalworkingworldmagazine.com/harmonic-steel-at-the-service-of-innovation/

http://www.pengallery.com/products/Marlen%C2%A0Aleph-Fountain-Pen.html

Don't know exactly what it is, and how it applies to nibs.

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

My guess is that it refers to a "harmonic" microstructure: http://matjournal.org/index.php?mid=jindex&pid=19599&stage=jlist3

I have a degree in engineering, but I took only one class in materials. It's possible that the improved mechanical properties could make for a more responsive nib. But it's also possible that the "new and improved" steel has no practical effect.

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

kinda sounds like "precious resin" to me.

LOL I was about to say that it sounds like a term that MB would typically use to artificially inflate their worth

Edited by WateryFlow

what improved metal properties? this is ordinary spring steel. It's just another ploy to seperate you from your hard earned money. that israeli grater looks like the precious resin surrounding it returns the metal to its original shape.

Harmonic usually refers to the frequency components of a time-varying signal, such as a musical note

In mechanics and physics, simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement.

-- both from Wikipedia

As applied to steel (or steel nibs), harmonics was probably developed deep the secret, alcohol-infused environs of some marketing lab. The physical properties are likely indistinguishable by fountain pen users who lack an endorsement deal with the manufacturer.

It appears that at least one source of harmonic steel is recycling of the steel wire in used tires.

ron

For those who want a singing nib to go with their French singing straight razor and American singing sword.

Well both the American and French product stop singing the more one waves it around or uses it.

Jut what every one needs a guaranteed singing nib....

You no longer have to put up with manufacturing accidents that has supplied the world before hand..

Jimmy Cricket is the best Tunemeister I know. Who's your favorite Tunemeister?

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

"Harmonic steel" refers to the grain alignment in the metal that causes it to maintain its strength when it's elongated. It's most typically found in the steel belts of tires because the steel is stretched when inflated and obviously needs to be strong to withstand the abuse that a tire takes on the road. I suppose that it would be a good property for springs.

I'm not sure why this is a necessary quality in a fountain pen nib. While the tines may bend some, they don't elongate. The skeptic in me would compare this to, say, cryogenically treated audio interconnect cables.

Apparently it's also used in the steel recycling process to fine-tune the chemical properties of the finished steel. The metal from tires has a relatively high carbon content. Also, I'd guess that since most recycling smelters use induction heating to melt the scrap steel, if you put a big ol' pile of steel wires in with the scrap metal, when that jolt of electricity hits, those harmonic steel wires will act like kindling in a fire. Again, I don't see what good that is for a fountain pen nib, but there you go.

-Drew

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o715/drew_dunn1/Clan-MacNeil-Buaidh-No-Bas-Victory-or-Death_zps051b46b5.jpg

I claim to be a Mechanical Engineer, and thus far (27 years employment) no-one has come up with enough evidence to dispute that. With my engineering hat on, I'd say it's a load of marketing bull. All 'Harmonic' steels I've come across are fancy grain structure carbon steels. It would be the action of a complete fool to put a rustable carbon steel in a nib.

So, either it's saying 'We've got idiots in our Marketing Department' or it's saying 'We've got idiots in our Design Office'.

In either case, the company is shouting loud and clear 'We employ idiots. Buy our pens'. Very clever.

Regards,

Richard

I claim to be a Mechanical Engineer, and thus far (27 years employment) no-one has come up with enough evidence to dispute that. With my engineering hat on, I'd say it's a load of marketing bull. All 'Harmonic' steels I've come across are fancy grain structure carbon steels. It would be the action of a complete fool to put a rustable carbon steel in a nib.

So, either it's saying 'We've got idiots in our Marketing Department' or it's saying 'We've got idiots in our Design Office'.

In either case, the company is shouting loud and clear 'We employ idiots. Buy our pens'. Very clever.

Regards,

Richard

the design and marketing depts of these companies are genius. i bet the buying public falls for this (bleep).

Seems this was used with the new Marlen Aleph. I don't know to what point it's a marketing thing, but it seems that 1) it had some shape memory; 2) it's very, very hard. Concerning the Marlen Aleph, all I can say is that the steel nib is outstanding!

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

You are wise beyond your years

A little Google searching convinces this is a real metal quality - something about springs returning to their original shape.

http://www.metalworkingworldmagazine.com/harmonic-steel-at-the-service-of-innovation/

http://www.pengallery.com/products/Marlen Aleph-Fountain-Pen.html

Don't know exactly what it is, and how it applies to nibs.

If you found it on google, it must be true.

Forging I could understand, back in the old days '20-30's...a very good blacksmith could forge & file a crankshaft that would be better than factory ground.

A properly forged knife, has the grains aligned to give a better blade.

Once dip pen nibs were forged. Not just stamped.

1900 US company Morton forged nibs, April 1914 Kaweco which had before always used the worlds best nibs, the Morton nibs, made a deal with Morton, to buy the machines, import the workers and families to Heidelberg Germany to make and train the workers for making Morton type nibs for Kaweco. Then came August, and the US families went home.

Up to 1930 Kaweco use to hand hammer on tiny anvils and anneal the gold nibs. To keep the iridium from burning off, the tip was stuck in a potato. (Lots of potato soup in the canteen) From 1914 to 1930 when because of other problems Kaweco went bankrupt, Kaweco made the best nibs in Germany and the world out side of Morton....if Morton was still in the business.

Then the new owner cut costs...and the Kaweco nib fell to the same level as a Soennecken or MB.....second class.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.