Esterbrook J Shorter Than Lj?

scully012

So I just picked up my third Esterbrook, a copper J, off of ebay this past week. It comes to join my blue LJ and green SJ to "complete" my trio.

However, on closer inspection, it is about 1/4" shorter than my LJ, and 1/8" longer than the SJ. I was curious because I was under the impression that both the LJ and J were the same length. The new J has the older flat filler lever while the two other pens have the newer spoon shaped lever. Do the different production times account for the shorter length? Thanks in advance for the answers!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scully012

• OcalaFlGuy

• Tylerjordan

• chad.trent

What are the lengths of all the pens you have? With the relative measurements you have it could simply be that you have a purse pen, LJ and SJ pen which might account for the differences.

PP: 4 3/8

LJ: 5

SJ: 4 3/4

With this set up, assuming you bought an SJ instead of a J, it is exactly 1/4 shorter than an LJ like you say and also 1/8longer than a pursepen which you might have mistaken for the SJ originally.

Pure speculation on my part, though.

Edited by Tylerjordan

The LJ is 5 1/16", the SJ is 4 3/4", and the new J is 4 7/8".

The LJ is 5 1/16", the SJ is 4 3/4", and the new J is 4 7/8".

Might just be random deviation that might be due to different production facilities.

That was my thought, I just wanted to get a second opinion since I'm new to all this

Most J's are 5". I have seen several LJ's that jewel to jewel were 1/8" longer. My final version LJ with the cheap plastic and around the circumference at the barrel top imprint is at least 1/16" longer than an earlier LJ.

SJ's are supposed to be 4 3/4"

[EDIT] Here is my head scratcher. J's, Tranny's (full size) and Dollar pens are Supposed to be the same diameter. For Some resaon

though, Tranny's and Dollars FEEL just a hair thicker/wider to me than a J.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Most J's are 5". I have seen several LJ's that jewel to jewel were 1/8" longer. My final version LJ with the cheap plastic and around the circumference at the barrel top imprint is at least 1/16" longer than an earlier LJ.

SJ's are supposed to be 4 3/4"

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

So it seems that my LJ and SJ are what you could expect size-wise, and the J is just an anomaly?

[EDIT] Here is my head scratcher. J's, Tranny's (full size) and Dollar pens are Supposed to be the same diameter. For Some resaon

though, Tranny's and Dollars FEEL just a hair thicker/wider to me than a J.

Thicker plastics?

Here's a picture for details. The SJ is on top, J in the middle, and LJ on the bottom. The copper J came without any jewels, so I made my own out of (what else?) copper. Even though it has the homemade jewels, the barrel and cap are still shorter than the LJ, so I'm not sure what that's about, though I guess it's just a variation in manufacturing.

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag222/brendanscully94/fps600x337_zpsc2600b1a.jpg

I'll show you My Copper jewels (from Farmboy) if you'll show me yours. :lol:

DSC02120.JPG

I called it the Communal Copper J. Pendleton Brown gave me the pen with no top jewel. It ended up being an impossible to find screw in.

Brian Anderson sent me a good press in jewel that we couldn't end up using. Farmboy made the jewels and installed them. I did the rest.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I don't normally show them to strangers, but here goes ;)

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag222/brendanscully94/FOT3FA1337x600_zps2ed1a3a3.jpg

They're a little more plain than yours, but it was a first attempt. I'm also thinking I'll keep them unfinished so that they oxidize over time and get to be more like the pen color.

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag222/brendanscully94/FOT3FA1337x600_zps2ed1a3a3.jpg

They're a little more plain than yours, but it was a first attempt. I'm also thinking I'll keep them unfinished so that they oxidize over time and get to be more like the pen color.

I want some of those. Bad...

Send me a PM if you're serious...we might be able to work something out

I want some of those. Bad...

Wow. VERY nicely done Scully.

Those are impressive. Certainly in another galaxy than I'd Ever be able to accomplish myself.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Wow. VERY nicely done Scully.

Those are impressive. Certainly in another galaxy than I'd Ever be able to accomplish myself.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thanks, Bruce. I'm not much of a metal worker, but I do a good bit of woodworking as a hobby. With some hand tools and a lathe, these really weren't too bad to make! I'd better watch it, though or I'm going to get the idea to start turning my own pens!!

Beautiful jewels Bruce and Scully!!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The J lengths range from 4 57/64 to 5 3/64; i.e. a range of 5/32 in length; diameter at cap lip 10-11.54mm; that is, a range of about 1/16 in diameter

The LJ lengths: 5 3/64 to 5 7/64, a range of 1/16 in length; diameter 10.3mm-10.6mm, about 1/64"

The SJ lengths: 4 23/32 to 4 53/64, a range of 7/64 in length; diameter 10.4-10.63mm, about 1/64"

All measurements with a digital caliper with pens of my collection; each model revealed at least 4 different lengths; the SJ six.

Hope these measurements reassure that variation is authentic and to be expected.

Jack

The J lengths range from 4 57/64 to 5 3/64; i.e. a range of 5/32 in length; diameter at cap lip 10-11.54mm; that is, a range of about 1/16 in diameter

The LJ lengths: 5 3/64 to 5 7/64, a range of 1/16 in length; diameter 10.3mm-10.6mm, about 1/64"

The SJ lengths: 4 23/32 to 4 53/64, a range of 7/64 in length; diameter 10.4-10.63mm, about 1/64"

All measurements with a digital caliper with pens of my collection; each model revealed at least 4 different lengths; the SJ six.

Hope these measurements reassure that variation is authentic and to be expected.

Jack

That is great info, thank you!

Jack, that's very interesting but to me, not surprising.

IMO, Estie considered themselves the Everyday pen for the Everyday man/woman. With their sales in the brazeelyuns to Bell Systems and school systems I don't feel they considered the DJ J's "fine writing instruments" like say Parker or Sheaffer did.

I suspect that were you to have told the factory brass at Estie that 50 years later people would be collecting their pens and that someone would pay $65 for a DJ J with a flex nib in it, you'd have drawn quite the cacophony of guffaws.

I base that partially on the fact that it's Clear they Didn't make their pens to be repaired, they assumed, as inexpensive as they were, if you busted a cap jewel and that bothered you, that'd you'd just buy another new pen. Of course, the Big 3 pens Were designed Much more with future repairs in mind.

Esties were designed to be made Quickly and (somewhat it appears) consistently on the line, maybe even by less skilled, cheaper labor that the more complicated pen (companies). It certainly seems plausible to me that the production line Pass/Fail tests for Esties on things like length might be somewhat more slack.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Esterbrook: the Close Enough For Government Work pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.