Custom Wax Seals And Methods Of Engraving Pros And Cons

Algester

I have been thinking of having my personal wax seal made however I'm not sure about the limitations of the method of making wax seals for example laser engraving again traditional carving?

My unfinished design

http://i.imgur.com/fJ7ZQG7l.jpg

my country's pen and accessories services only provides laser engraving so... what will it look like... nor do I think I can afford to send out this design to reputable makers overseas...

Edited by Algester

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• sargetalon

• ac12

• Kosmic-kowgirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You may want to simplify your design.

You wax seal will be much smaller than the image on screen, so the fine details will be lost or become muddled.

Take the image and reduce it down to the size of a seal, maybe 1 inch across, and see what happens to the fine details.

Also the lettering becomes very hard to read when you reduce it.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'll check out the image quality again all I know i made this in a 3 cm diameter in 300 psi (pixels per square inch) I havent decided on the font yet because I do not know what fits all I know I can't afford to use copperplate and spencerian it looks a a bit too plain with Arial though was thinking gothic not sure how will that fare

and I already know about the loss of detail hence I was working with the most "basic" designs I can think off I'll work on it tomorrow and see what happens

http://i.imgur.com/8rze8h3l.jpg

I changed it a bit I just need to find a font and make it sit better I think I like this simpler design I may have over sized it a bit as the entire thing is 3 inches...

Edited by Algester

Just curious, the final dessing need to be mirrored? Yours will produce the letters in the wrong direction, isn't it?

Nice design! I designed my own seal and did keep it simplistic. I opted for a laser engraved service as it was substantially cheaper and suited my needs. I utilized the company "Custom Wax N Seals" out of the UK. I was able to chat online and got a lot of great design advice, what the limitations were, and just the best way to proceed in general. I was sent a couple proofs to review and when I selected one, only had to wait a couple of weeks. Before you simplify anything, I'd inquire with whatever vendor you're planning to use and see what their capabilities and limitations are. Helped me out tremendously.

post-95756-0-01604700-1404928166_thumb.jpg

post-95756-0-85325200-1404928172_thumb.jpg

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Interesting so Laser engraving can still make a deep imprint mmm ok I'll check on it

but here's what I think is the final design

http://i.imgur.com/3RvsqCul.jpg

now how do I go about making the deep imprints...

sargetalons did they make you choose your own font or you only have to select the fonts they offered? because the work that will be done is going to be made in proxy meaning the process isnt a direct interaction between me and the manufacturer but a third party will handle it... the manufacturer is located in Hong Kong and thats all what I know

Edited by Algester

Hi Algester. I might make a few suggestions. First please rethink the Lorum Ipsum's in the top and bottom. They much be backward in the image you send out. The top, if you have 3 words, you might want to put them in the flat part of the upper banner, one word in one flat part. Make sure that the lower words follow the flow of the banner exactly. The lion and unicorn look a bit stock, especially the unicorn. Want to make that a bit more unique? And the flourishes on either side, you want them to be either more unique of leave them out. Sorry if I disappoint but I am from the school of hard knocks. I don't want you to be disappointed.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

nae it's fine I still havent talked to the proxy yet so I still have time to save the dough... and tweak and change my design until then ohh the lorem ipsum is still a place holder again I don't know how to make the font fit and making the text flow with the banner but I will see what I can do I have ideas I'm just not sure about the feasibilities

and yes pretty much the entire thing was made with shapes hence being plain looking never drawn by me then again I'm no real artist maybe concepts and Ideas but never an actual practitioner :X

to recap I have to reverse the letters and fix them huh... still the font is an issue... but I think I can work out with other options

Edited by Algester

sargetalons did they make you choose your own font or you only have to select the fonts they offered? because the work that will be done is going to be made in proxy meaning the process isnt a direct interaction between me and the manufacturer but a third party will handle it... the manufacturer is located in Hong Kong and thats all what I know

There was a stock set of fonts that I was able to choose from. That is why I don't think your plan of going through an intermediary will work out well. Each vendor has their own set of capabilities and if you are going to do custom work, you have to know what those are so that you can work within them.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

to recap I have to reverse the letters and fix them huh... still the font is an issue... but I think I can work out with other options

This all depends on the company making it, if they want a positive or a reversed image.

Just do a positive (like you have) for now. Let them tell you if they want a reversed image. With today's computers they can do the mirror image to create the reversed image.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

There was a stock set of fonts that I was able to choose from. That is why I don't think your plan of going through an intermediary will work out well. Each vendor has their own set of capabilities and if you are going to do custom work, you have to know what those are so that you can work within them.

yeah that is my problem I'm really forced to work through an intermediary whether I like it or not since I'm probably the only one on philippine fountain pen network making a design right now meaning if ever I'll be the first customer to do this without any reviews and backgrounds for the job ahead

Hi Algester. I might make a few suggestions. First please rethink the Lorum Ipsum's in the top and bottom. They much be backward in the image you send out. The top, if you have 3 words, you might want to put them in the flat part of the upper banner, one word in one flat part. Make sure that the lower words follow the flow of the banner exactly. The lion and unicorn look a bit stock, especially the unicorn. Want to make that a bit more unique? And the flourishes on either side, you want them to be either more unique of leave them out. Sorry if I disappoint but I am from the school of hard knocks. I don't want you to be disappointed.

I would be fine with adding a unique flavor but I will be disappointed if I made the changes and the manufacturer can not do it... :< again I'm forced to work with a proxy, and design limitations because they are the only ones providing a locally available service (ironically it still has to be outsourced) outside dry seals...

Edited by Algester

• 2 weeks later...

Your text is IMHO way to small. The s of ipsum is at the moment 1 mm high when the seal has a diameter of 20 mm. Even with a b/w laser print you nead magnifying glasses to be able to read it. On a seal ... forget it. When you work on a design, print it in real size and see how it looks. 10 times magnified everything looks different.

Sargetalon has a very nice seal. Well readable and the design is well hiding the problems of 2D laser engraving.

Regarding the font. I do recommend you a serif font (Garamond, Times Roman, New Century Schoolbook, English Antiqua, ..., probably bold). It looked great on medals of Napoleon and earlier and it still looks great today.

I can probably help you with this. What format is your working file in?

First of all, nothing should be outlined. Your design should be positive and negative, solid white and black shapes. Second, too much detail. You keep mentioning depth, but shapes that small will probably just get wax stuck in them if there's any depth to them. Look at Sargetalons, all the tiny stuff is not very deep.

Don't worry about flipping it right now, that's the last step when you are ready to go to production.

Edited by Nonstickron

http://www.behance.com/rgdesignhouse • Ghost Letters Pen-Pal: Sir Francis Drake

• 4 weeks later...

i don't know about the newest PhotoShop but i think the correct software to use is something like lllustrator in order to make the letters follow the shapes. i have a very old version that i no longer use, so correct me if i am wrong. Maybe PS can do that now. i would simplify - as already said - the design a whole lot, because it will not transfer as it is, it will be impossible to see any detail.

This is an example and I am just using the elements already on the design. At least one can see a lot of are around the elements to "see" something in particular. of course the software i have is not able to align the text, but illustrator can, and working in a tif format in a software like llustrator would make everything clearer and sharper.

i don't know about the newest PhotoShop but i think the correct software to use is something like lllustrator in order to make the letters follow the shapes. i have a very old version that i no longer use, so correct me if i am wrong. Maybe PS can do that now. i would simplify - as already said - the design a whole lot, because it will not transfer as it is, it will be impossible to see any detail.

This is an example and I am just using the elements already on the design. At least one can see a lot of are around the elements to "see" something in particular. of course the software i have is not able to align the text, but illustrator can, and working in a tif format in a software like llustrator would make everything clearer and sharper.

thanks for the heads up woo looks like I already see a heavy edit coming my way I will update once I have a more concrete idea with the elements I have laid down