Anyone Know About The French Brand Malmaison?

23Larsen

Ok, so i took a change on a vintage pen. I bought it without knowing much about vintage pens or this pen in particular. I just thought it would be fun to check it out even if it did not write. Spent what would be about 40 dollars for it.

Today it arrived and i have to say it was in a much better condition than i could hope for.

It´s black and about 121 mm long capped, 108 mm uncapped.

Barrel says Malmaison and under Malmaison it says France. The cap has a clip and three cap bands. The nib mostly unadorned, below the breather hole it says France, below that is say OR-585, and below that again it says 14k.

It seems to be a button filler, the sac is missing.

I examined the nib to see if there was any tine misalignment, but it looked completely fine to my untrained eye. ( i only got my pen-tuning set from goulet pen company a couple of days ago)

Curious about how it would write i dipped it, and WOW. That thing has good flex with almost no pressure at all! That was a surprise and made me really happy with my purchase.

I googled to find out more about my pen but surprisingly this site did not provide me with the usual answers. There was only one post mentioning the name Malmaison and not something useful to me.

So i´m wondering if anyone know anything about the malmaison brand and pens?

Oh and by the way, the seller sent me a second pen as a surprise. This one was in bad shape. The clip was missing, the nib misaligned and one of the tines were bent so it was actually shorter than the other. As far as i can tell this pen is a piston filler but turning the nob does not do anything so i assume it is broken. The nib only said Guaranteed, 14 Carat, and i can find no other identifying marks on it except for what seems to be the initials of the original owner on the barrel. (N.K.S).

I bent the tines out as well as i could and realigned them as well as i could. Then i dipped it and to my amazement his too flexes with ease! :yikes:

To bad i can't fill any of those, but at least i can dip them and have some fun :)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 23Larsen

• pen2paper

• dcwaites

• Tylerjordan

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for looking :)

I could only find one single thread on that forum as well, i used google translate as i don't speak french but i found nothing useful. It seems nobody nows much about the brand.

I´ll try to upload some photos of the pen for future reference. Also i have ordered some pen sacs and i´ll try my hand at re-saccing the thing. It would be so much fun if i can get it to work properly :)

Very interesting company name! Doesn't give off a good impression, haha!

Edited by Tylerjordan

Anyways, i finally got around to taking photos. Unfortunately i´m not much of a photographer.

I just manage to capture the branding Malmaison, but not whats written even more faintly beneath it; made in France:

http://bildr.no/thumb/bUswYUZ1.jpeg

The nib:

http://bildr.no/thumb/WnZFNnd5.jpeg

Interesting color on the clip rings:

http://bildr.no/thumb/RjV6MU9u.jpeg

Size comparison with lots and lots of shadows:

http://bildr.no/thumb/NXkvNURT.jpeg

Does it mean something i´m not aware of? :)

While it technically means bad or evil house, the word Malmaison refers to a chain of hotels, a town in France and an estate bought by Josephine of Napoleon and Josephine fame.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

While it technically means bad or evil house, the word Malmaison refers to a chain of hotels, a town in France and an estate bought by Josephine of Napoleon and Josephine fame.

Corporate thought never ceases to amaze me. "Sure, let's name our chain of motels wrong house." "Idea, let's name our luggage after the pilot that flew off but never arrived at the destination!"

Edited by jar